Participate in the January 2019 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2019 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks Rickey! That imagery works just fine for me. 😁

Regular phone mic. I’m between residences due to some delightful domestic drama and forgot to bring my new mic with me. Drat.

lyndallk
    Participant

Lisa, the piece is great! With so much atmosphere – a little haunting – good title too “Now and Then” Hope it helped with the happy! Its also good to hear some of what you think as you start composing – eg the circle of 5ths.

Thanks Rickeymike – took many takes. Looking forward one day to be able to perform it in front of folks. Thanks Becky777 for the lovely and detailed message. Really appreciate your encouragement. And yes, I’ll keep it in my repertoire.

Uku-on – enjoying your progress of While my guitar gently weeps. I tried to learn that once. Enough said! Look forward to a full performance sometime. The sound of your uke is lovely. Do you have it plugged straight in to whatever is recording it?

The weather finally broke It’s cooler today. Yay.

Cheers,
    Lyndall

mheiden
    Participant

This is my submission for January. Back on page 2 I outlined my objective.
    The quick version is I’m working on refinement techniques this month and wanted to play a piece I’ve learned already but play it smooth, clean and in time. The piece is Waltz in C. I will also post my previous version from last year.

January 2019 Version

June 2018: 1st Rock Class Challenge (joined June 10th)

wongbrown

Here is my submission for the Jan Challenge. I still need to work on the left hand stretch. Also I think I should have done it with a slower tempo. I have played the Etude for so many times that I just want to get it over and done with before I get really frustrated.

Cheers/ Sheila

uku_on
    Participant

Okay so the full song is finally playable. I think overall it’s an okay take not perfect of course especially at the end- I did just learn the strumming part- but I’m pretty happy with my progress. I’d like to spend more time cleaning the ending up.

So here’s me playing on the ukulele, while my guitar gently weeps.

uku_on
    Participant

Also wanted to add, I had a ton of fun learning this song, improving my licks, improv and def trying to get warmer and different sounds even on repeat sections was a big learning experience hope I did well!

rickeymike
    Participant

uku_on – Great job covering that entire fret board. Being a beginner, I’m super impressed that I didn’t see your thumb throughout your performance and you did it without a neck strap. I can’t seem to support my uke without my thumb wrapping around the neck. Any tips to how you keep the uke so steady?

uku_on
    Participant

RickeyMike thank you! Tbh I’ve never considered having to worry about how I hold my uke, just kind of happens? I think that if you’re working to hold the frets with the tip of your finger than your thumb should naturally stay behind the neck. I’m also playing on a pretty long tenor so it is resting on my knee here. Though I can play this standing there is definitely a struggle

uku_on
    Participant

Lyndallk I just saw your message, actually this is a purely acoustic tenor that I recorded on my old iPhone. Thank you for the encouragement though this song is kind of daunted due to how many great players have done it but I think that’s why I want to learn it so badly. A full playable is now up so I hope you enjoy!

becky7777
    Participant

Mheiden- To use an overdone quote: “You’ve come a long way baby!” I’m hoping to do a comparison at the end of 2019 with my challenge song this month.

Caught up on everyones submissions I think. After listening to two of Jake’s arrangements by you guys, I just ordered his book along with another $20 mic on Amazon. (I mentally can see Andrew pulling on his hair, throwing up his hands, and screaming “Why?! Oh for the love of God, WHY?!” then probably laughing at my idiocy at not just saving for good gear. lol) Condenser mic this time though so I can hopefully crank down gain. (Reviews say it’s sensitive enough for acoustic guitar at least….) It will probably be horrible, but you do what you gotta do, until you can do something better. That Pyle wannabe Sure mic is actually pretty decent for louder things. Just not sensitive enough to “Turn on and listen” when it hears me playing the uke without max gain and weird alien dialup modem noise. (Electrical interference?? I can figure it out.)

Fully enjoyed listening to, and watching, everyone’s submissions and updates so far though. I’m impressed by every single person’s progress I’ve seen or heard since I joined! Everyone’s been so inspiring. I’ve learned so much watching and listening to everyone, not just the teachers.

mheiden
    Participant

Thanks very much Becky. That song was very hard for me last year.
    It feels good to make progress. I agree with you….I also learn from everyone here. It’s a great community. I just wish I had a few hours each day to play—Can’t wait to learn more songs now. I have my eye on a few to stretch myself!

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

I hope my second “progress” post is enough to put me in the running for this month’s competition. I still hope to do a final post tomorrow, but it depends on the bushfire smoke. I had planned to do a recording tonight, but the smoke is really thick right now and it’s making me cough when I try.

Tiffany also may or may not make it for the same reason.

If you aren’t aware, this is what’s happening near me right now.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-29/bushfire-risk-to-life-still-high-in-tasmania/10756452

My house isn’t in any danger from the existing fires, but there is a lot of smoke and I often work in areas that are affected. For example there is a picture of the Tahune Airwalk in the article, and I was there as a tour guide last week. I actually saw the fire burning before it got big.

rickeymike
    Participant

Robin,
    Oh wow. I didn’t know that was going on. Please stay safe.

lyndallk
    Participant

Robin – you’re in Tasmania! Very bad bush fires. I’ve been watching with keen interest (I lived in Tassie for many years and have many friends there still). Keep safe and lets hope for big rain very very soon.

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks guys. They are predicting rain on Thursday, but I don’t think it will be enough. The fire has already burned through the reserve that contains the world’s tallest hardwood tree. I have no idea whether the firefighters managed to protect it or not.

By the way Lyndall, where in Tassie did you live?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by robinboyd.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.