Participate in the January 2019 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2019 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    nthibode

Here are the results of my work. First is the execution — improving speed/accuracy up and down the neck with Fingerpicking Etude no. 13. Second is the application of my practiced skill with Chopsticks. I’m not able to play it at 100% speed, but can play it reasonably well at 80%. I’m pleased with my improvements, though Chopsticks took many, many, many takes to get a good recording.

Stay safe, @robinboyd. Nice work everyone and good luck!

~Nathalie

curlyuke
    Participant

1. Execution. I would like to be able to play the first of the three warm up exercises and have it sounding similar to Andrew’s version. I am also going to learn the first 21/53 bars of Hans Zimmer’s You’re So Cool and have it sounding similar to how it should. This is one of my dream songs to play. The next part of the song has lots of similar chords to the first warm up exercise so hopefully this month’s practice will benefit next month’s practice 😀
    2.Application. Practice most days, paying attention to finger position, transitions and rhythm. Break tasks into chunks and at least get the flow before moving on.
    3. Evaluation. Listen to myself! Submit video near month end for feedback. Bask in the glory that is likely to follow.

Tab for You’re So Cool:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5mja43b13otN1RBTTBObzItNzA/view

End of the Month Post

Aiming to sound “similar” might have been aiming a bit high! The first warm up exercise continues to be tricky. I’m trying hard with picado and can see it improving, correct strumming hand position still eludes me.
    I forced myself to only learn small chunks at a time and focus on trickier bits so hopefully my practicing’s improved as well.

First Warm Up Exercise

You’re So Cool First Part

hotmilktea

unfortunately, I am not able to practice Uke this month due to some personal reasons. I will get this challenge done next month.
    Good job everyone!

incywincy
    Participant

Posting purely for my own accountability as I won’t be able to make a video of progress. I have learned to play Waltz in C which was my goal. I can’t play it at full speed yet but I can mostly make the transitions up and down the neck quite smoothly at about 80%. I can’t get the harmonics to sound consistently yet either. I’ve been a bit unwell this month so it’s held me back, but I’m pleased with the progress I’ve made and I’ll continue to practice. It’s a fun tune to play.

Good luck everyone with your challenges. As always, I’m super impressed with everyone’s playing!

stinyuke

Here are my results for this months challenge:

My goal was improve technique and work on proper left and right hand form and apply it on three songs I’ve already memorised. I wanted to be able to play them as clear and as fluently as possible.

Conclusion: All three songs improved much compared to the beginning of the month even though there are still some unclear sounds and some accidental pull off sounds. Here are my third recordings for “Canon in D” and for “Etude in E-minor” on Soundcloud:

“Daydreaming” was set in New Orleans with @rickeymike! Thank you Rickey for announcing me and for the personal tour! We very much enjoyed our visit in New Orleans!

stinyuke

@nthibode Great work! I love your playing!

lyndallk
    Participant

Robin I was there over a 10 year period give or take – I lived all over from Strahan to Bicheno. For some years we had a little farm in Meander (near Deloraine). And of course, I lived in Hobart too. I’m devastated by the destruction in the wilderness areas of these fires, and the ones in 2016. The Tasmanian wilderness is some of the most beautiful in the world.

FYI I’m going to do a uke building workshop with a friend sometime this year in Tassie.

Sending good cool sodden thoughts to you and Tiffany and all the folks down there.

miztaken
    Participant

January Challenge Final Submission Update “CHOPSTICKS” beginner level.

GOAL:
    Achieved 75% speed – actually play it at about 80-85%, consistently with minor errors. I have even started playing at 90%, but at this speed my fingering and playing is still muddy and error prone.

PLAN:
    Practice “Chopsticks” between 1 to 4 hours per day – achieved 25 out of 29 days, including practicing at the airport in Atlanta!!! Now that is dedication!!!

APPLICATION:
    Triplets have dropped off the radar as I practice Chopsticks, Etude #5 and Brahm’s Lullaby. I am struggling with Brahm’s Lullaby – it has some tricky fingering.
    Routine practice schedule maintained 16 days out of 29 – holiday and travelling has limited this. But on the improvement side: I now only spend about 1/2 hour on exercises, techniques, exudes and songs because I “get it” in 1-3 attempts. Time to add new stuff here.

I had fun recording today’s video in the rock lined waterfall shower in our room at Madonna Inn, SAN Luis Obispo. Great acoustics for recording on my iPad mini!!!

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Well I managed to get something done before my voice gave out. I had to do it in one take though, so it is definitely not perfect.

Evaluation:

1. The thing that has given me trouble with this song is that the point that you start singing is different for every single verse. I had been having all sorts of problems with the last few verses so I practiced them a whole lot, but now I’m having issues with the first couple of verses. There was a major timing stuff-up in the first verse in the recording, and that’s something that’s only reared it’s head in the last few days. I expect that with a bit more practice I can iron that out.

2. The wrist thing that you mentioned last month has really been bugging me. I’m trying to fix it, but I’m not there yet. I think the camera angle makes it look a whole lot worse than it actually is though. I’ll try a headless shot next time to see if the different angle makes it look different. I’d play around with it a bit more today, but this smoke is really getting to me.

3. I think you can hear the uke this time. The background buzzing is the exhaust fan on my computer. It’s labouring a bit in this heat.

robinboyd
    Participant

@lyndallk – I’ve looked at doing that uke building workshop but I don’t have the time or money. It looks like heaps of fun, though. It’s in the north-west, right? I’m in Hobart, but if you ever swing by this way, feel free to drop me a line.

miztaken
    Participant

@nthibode that is so darn pretty!!!
    Both songs are so delicate! Wow.

(I should not have viewed them. You cannot compare the music of a hobbit to that of an elf!!!)

kanae926
    Participant

LOL, Misty. I wouldn’t go that far in using such an analogy, but Nathalie really does have a great feel in her playing. It’s very fluid and natural. I couldn’t help noticing that my body instinctually wanted to sway along. She’s the ukulele equivalent of the pied piper. 😂

tiff27
    Participant

Hi all.

Well, its not smooth, its not all that pretty. But it is memorized… as in I didn’t have to look at anything to get through the song. definitely had to pause a few times to think about it, but I didn’t have to look at anything. I think I learned stuff from this challenge, so that is good.

Hope you like it.

Tiffany

rickeymike
    Participant

Wow. The entries are coming in fast and furious and I can’t keep up. Everyone did one heck of a job. The “you decide” challenge is a keeper because it brings out so much diversity and allows us to choose.

rickeymike
    Participant

Wow. The entries are coming in fast and furious and I can’t keep up. Everyone did one heck of a job. The “you decide” challenge is a keeper because it brings out so much diversity and allows us to choose.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.