Participate in the January 2019 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2019 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    imminside
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

finished my monthly goal to learn percussive ukulele today.

Here is my last video to this song, I think its quite okay:

I changed the strumming a little bit. Instead of only doing the snare with the index finger I tried to use the “flick” (down + index finger at the same time) which I’ve learned from other tutorial videos. So this song sounds much faster now.

Next week I’ll try other percussive songs. Does anybody have some ideas? 🙂

Here’s me with another week of working on my timing with a new song. I probably should have chosen something with less strumming variation to work on timing, but too late now. It’s still not great, but improving. Any tips you have are welcome.

Also, imminside, that was absolutely AMAZING!

kanae926
    Participant

Progress report:
    I’ve been practicing Allegro on synthetic mode with the metronome on and was feeling pretty good at 90% (almost there to 100% speed). Out of curiosity, I made the mistake of turning it on to video to play alongside Andrew’s playthrough and discovered how much faster 100% there is. LOL. I couldn’t even get close. Those are some fast fingers, man! It’s not called Allegro (brisk tempo) for nothin’. 😂

I haven’t even gotten to dynamics, yet. 😒

lisadmh
    Participant

Great job imminside and sprint! You’ve both put some good work into this. And both are future goals for me.

Kanae, that’s a good speed for that song. I can play it at about 70. Good thing it still sounds good slow, but it’s not allegro with me!

My progress report: I’m feeling good about my song and don’t know what else to do to improve it. I’m just waiting for my new mic to see if I can get a slightly better recording. So, I was messing around last night and I seem to have written another song, oops! It’s got some tough chord changes in it (I usually curse Andrew for those but this time it’s my own fault!! The music requires it. ) so I can’t yet execute it well, but it’s pretty and was so much easier to write with my new guitar pro app. I just need to remember some nuances that the cheap app won’t let me add. Maybe I’ll get that one performable by the end of the month. We’ll see how many tweaks I make to the song between now and then.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by lisadmh.
    Gaby
    Participant

I cant wait to hear it Lisa 🙂 i think its exciting that you write your own music! 😀

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks gahanby! My fan is awaiting my news releases, lol. It is too much fun, and I can’t believe I’m actually writing my own songs. The newest one is for low G and includes a harmonic, two goals I had.

Practice, practice, tweak, practice.

kanae926
    Participant

Here’s a progress video: synthetic mode with the metronome at 100% speed using the tab viewer (sans dynamics).

It’s a bit sloppy in places and hitting the harmonic gets tricky at this pace, so I can’t consistently hit it every time. My chord transitions sound messy because the strings stick to my fingers and ring out when I lift (unintentional pull-offs happening, BOO). Not sure how to fix that. I don’t have sweaty hands, so maybe I’m pressing too hard? 🙁

Kanae, sounds amazing!

rickeymike
    Participant

Kanae, IT is what IT is and IT sounds swell.

becky7777
    Participant

I couldn’t hear the strings sticking on your progress take. Recently my strings stick to my fingers sometimes and my hands seem really dry too. I never ‘put on the brakes’ to see what exactly was happening but it only started happening recently.

After reading your comment yesterday, I wiped my strings with a damp paper towel, (I never have cleaned this set and maybe they are just grungy?)

I found out I might need to change strings which is probably unrelated to sticking to fingers, but I don’t know? They feel like they have really deep waves on the bottom from pushing on the frets. I can’t imagine I could wear out new strings in a couple months though. I read every 6 months is normal.

Anyway, you aren’t alone, not sure why it happens either. Those are my two guesses for my situation.

miztaken
    Participant

@becky7777 – the luthier who did my setups told me to change the strings if they are dented underneath at the frets as they no longer ring true, and something complicated about sound/frets/string movement etc (I was looking blank at this point 😁).
    Different strings are softer, and wear faster too eg. Aquila nylgut – he didn’t like them at all.
    I think 6 month regimen is for when you play 1-2 hours a day, and have the experience and beautiful light touch of a seasoned player – not the clunky, heavy handed technique of those still learning these techniques (me!).
    I was told that with the time I currently put in, I should look at changing strings every month!!! ( but going back to work in February, so won’t be putting as many hours in).
    Oh, and I clean my strings, neck and body after most practice sessions, and even mid-sessions if it is hot and my hands are sweaty.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by miztaken. Reason: Autocorrect puts weird words in!
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by miztaken.
    miztaken
    Participant

January Challenge Week Three, Monday Update “CHOPSTICKS” beginner level.

GOAL:
    Arrangement memorised, playing up to 80% speed, but it gets a bit messy at that speed.
    Natural speed/rhythm remains interesting, but improving.

PLAN:
    Practice “Chopsticks” 10-20 times per practice session, repetition of tricky sections as required eg. Bars 16-18 for clear chord changes at speed, 31-32 to get a clean harmonic.
    Practice schedule not so good last week: prep for holiday, travelling to Atlanta, jet lag and fluid retention = swollen fingers and fuzzy brain. 3 days practice achieved.
    Have taken the “Fruit bowl” traveling.

APPLICATION:
    Taimane’s triplet technique with basic chords, playing gaffs accepted.
    New items added – “Brahm’s Lullaby”, plus “Finger picking Etude #5” – this one is proving to be easier as I have been doing basic (self taught) Travis picking for a year.

lisadmh
    Participant

Here’s my song. It’s called A Beautiful Life, for the featured kitty cat, who’s doing much better for the moment but is on borrowed time.

I feel like I’ve learned so much on this one. It’s all using things I’ve learned here at RC101. Of course it’s not perfect, but…

1. I wrote it. I’m new at this, but I actually wrote it.
    2. I got the Guitar Pro app and wrote it up, with legitimate 4/4 time and tabs and and on screen tab viewer and everything.
    3. I’ve got some vibrato in there for the first time.
    4. It’s loaded with bar chords and was a workout.
    5. Despite not having a great recording (my new mic is noisy), I swear I actually have some dynamics going on.
    6. I’m mostly muting out some unwanted string noise. I haven’t got it all, but some. That’s new for me.
    7. I found C, E7, F, and G7 at multiple places on the neck. I have to keep doing this sort of thing to learn more chords all over the place.

Anyway, I hope you like it!

nthibode

Lovely song, @lisadmh!

@miztaken
    , you and I are in the same boat. I’m working through the same challenges with Chopsticks.

Evaluation (cont’d): By the end of week 3 I can play Chopsticks relatively smoothly at 80% speed. My main struggle is getting bars 13-15 to sound out clearly. The harmonic is also hit and miss. I will focus on looping those sections this week, and hopefully get a good recording by the end of the month.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.