Participate in the January 2022 Member Challenge: Celebrating 500 Lessons!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2022 Member Challenge: Celebrating 500 Lessons!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 199 total)
  • Author
    lintuu
    Participant

Hello! Here I am with “Here comes the Sun”. Some places in the tune was really difficult for me (especially 8th note triplets 🤪), so I slowed down the tempo.
    Thanks for this arrangement, I love it!

joelnal

Happy New Year!

Here is my video for Dream a Little Dream. I really enjoyed learning this arrangement. I still have some things to work out but I am happy with my progress so far.

I am a premium member.

Thank you,
    Joel

henri0
    Participant

St James Infirmary

Cracking piece…v addictive. The bits higher up the neck a bit of a challenge as you’ll hear, but here it is as it stands

jeg143
    Participant

Very nice job @henri0. All these nice renditions of St James Infirmary are making me want to choose a different song. I can play it through at this point by not very smoothly yet.

henri0
    Participant

Thanks @jeg143 I’ve done so much practice and still lots to get tighter!

I often pick a song off the back of how someone else played it here…Blue Moon for example. I heard someone on here play and was like “it sounds like a totally different song to me now. I *must* learn it”. Really is this site’s big advantage…hearing the range of interpretations 😎

june2020

Here is my entry for this month – Dream a Little Dream of Me. I had fun learning this one. Matt’s arrangements are so nice to play. I recorded several days in a row and could really see progress in the speed increase each day.

lisadmh
    Participant

Hi friends. I did St. James Infirmary. I learned this three years ago, but I haven’t touched it in three years, so it was interesting to relearn. Here are both versions, now and then. I’ve been trying really hard to relax when playing. I think I’ve made some progress. This is the first time I’ve recorded standing up — somehow I was a little less tense I think…?

Today:

Over three years ago:

nthibode

Huge improvement, Lisa! Way to go!!

evapaju

@henri0 -wow great feel and energy!

nthibode

Congrats on 500 Lessons! St. James Infirmary is a fun and impressive arrangement from 13-year-old Evan! Thanks again for all the high-quality lessons.

Hope everyone’s having a good start to the year. See you next month!

rafaela
    Participant

I hope everyone had a good start into 2022!
    Since I am a huge fan of vintage swing music, this month I just had to pick “Five Foot Two, Eyes Of Blue”!! It was so much fun to learn all those different techniques, I’ve really enjoyed it a lot 🙂 (though the changes between the techniques were very challenging for me, as you may recognise by all the buzzing)

Thanks for listening! Rafaela

patricia81
    Participant

Hi everyone,

here is my contribution for this challenge.

All the best
    Patricia

brettboy
    Participant

Hi Uke Lovers!

I’m a Premium Member.

Here’s my St. James Infirmary! Big Thanks to Evan and Andrew!

Stephen

effortless – You’re doing a great job on this one! You have the notes ringing clear, and you are getting through the piece smoothly. Now it’s time to develop the swing feel of the song: When two 8th notes are in a row on this song, the first one will be longer (about twice as long). This gives the song a looser feel rather than a mechanical one. Give the original a listen and see if you can hear the difference between that and your version. Keep up the great work!

mikeramsey2 – Very nicely done! The notes are sounding spot on! The next step is getting some of the passages to sound more legato (smooth and connected). One of the main things that will help this on the outro in particular is to get the hammer ons and pull offs in bars 57 and 59. If notes are connected with a slur, don’t pluck the second/third note. Instead, lift your left hand finger with enough force to make the next note sound. Once you get this technique down, that section will sound smooth. Then it’s just a matter of leaving the fingers down a bit longer on other sections to let notes ring out a bit more. You’re doing great, keep it up!

gstriph – You’re off to a great start with the notes! For the tempo and rhythm, I think you would benefit from playing this arrangement with a metronome at a slower speed. Right now you are hesitating on some spots that are harder for you to play, and you are speeding up on the easier spots. While it’s hard to keep a metronome going through the bridge of the song, I would practice the first section or two with one to see where you tend to pause the most. The notes sound great, and I recommend getting the timing down before changing sections up too much. Keep up the great work!

ldarrow – You are doing a great job with the bar chords! Everything sounds great on this, I just recommend playing slightly slower with a metronome so that you can work on keeping the tempo consistent throughout the song. It will help you to know which parts are giving you the most trouble, too. You’re doing great, and it sounds like you’re really doing well with bar chords now!

lintuu – Amazing job! You played so well, we shared your performance on our social media. Keep up the great work!

joelnal – You are off to a wonderful start! Now that you have the notes and chord shapes down, try playing along a touch slower with a metronome. There are a few spots where certain chords/techniques are causing you to hesitate, and playing these parts with something keeping you in time will show you which chord shapes to work extra on. You’re doing great so far, keep it up!

henri0 – Excellent job! Your rhythm and notes were both spot on! at 0:41 seconds in, it sounds like muting the A string is something you’re struggling with. I recommend slowing that section down and focusing on how you’re muting that string. It may be that you can find another way to mute it more effectively so that it doesn’t clash with the melody. You’re doing a fantastic job!

june2020 – You are doing great so far on the notes and chords! Now it’s time to work on the rhythm. Certain notes in the piece are being cut short in relation to the the other notes. To learn how long to hold each note, there is a great section in the Introduction to Reading Standard Notation course that can help here.

Once you learn how to read and work on rhythms, it will help you learn songs quicker as well. Keep up the great work!

lisadmh – The new version sounds great! My only suggestion rhythmically is to not pause too long before the pickup measures: bars 8, 16, and so forth. There isn’t a fermata before the slides, so make sure to come in on the up beat on these measures. It’s a slight difference, but it keeps the flow of the song consistent for those listening that like to bob their heads or dance. You’re doing a great job, and you seem more relaxed for sure!

nthibode – Wonderful playing on this! You picked a great tempo to really get into the feel of this song, your notes were very legato, and the song seemed to “breathe” dynamically. Very nice performance all around!

rafaela – You picked a great tempo for this, and you stayed very consistent throughout. In this style, it’s good to accent the subdivisions a bit more, especially in the section at 0:35. Don’t be afraid to hit the chord strums with a bit more force/emphasis. You’re doing a wonderful job, and it sounds like you’re ready to speed this one up at this point!

patricia81 – You’re doing a great job so far! Now that you have the notes down, it’s time to work on the rhythm a bit more. You are ready to add a metronome to your practicing. Keep up the great work!

brettboy – You have a very nice and relaxed feel on this that is perfect for the song! You’ve done a great job all around! I must ask, in measure 10 and where this melody repeats, did you purposely change the melody to make the 3rd fret on the A string on an up beat? If so, it’s a very nice syncopation. Keep it up, you always sound great!

shmu88
    Participant

Hello Uke Friends!

I am a premium member

Here’s to kick start the year my take on St-James Infirmatory 🙂

Enjoy

Sam

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 199 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.