Participate in the March 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Classical Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Classical Ukulele!

• This topic has 180 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by dianna.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    katazumiri
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Here is my attempt with “Swan Lake”.
    I think it’s at ca. 55 bpm
    So it’s pretty slow 🙂

gi_gi_
    Participant

@TBB Those feelings are normal. I think we all feel overwhelmed at the beginning of every challenge. I know I do. We start, little by little and low and behold, we accomplish more than we could’ve imagined. Giving it a try is a good start ☺️. No pressure whatsoever….

katazumiri
    Participant

There has been a construction site in front of my house for some time.
    First the construction workers used jackhammers.
    Then stakes were driven into the ground.
    And I practiced “Swan Lake”…

Stephen experimented with distortion on the double bass.

YouTube said I might be interested in a video titled “15 STYLES OF METAL (w/ guests)”.
    That surprised me a bit…

I watched the video.
    Something sounded like construction site behind my window.
    There were loads of distortions.
    And in symphonic metal there is even something that sounds like classical music…

So…
    I found drums on wikiloops, “Metal backing track 68170” by rp3drums (wikiloops public-license).
    Distortion comes from Audacity.
    Sound is not cosy and now it is not slow.

Here is my second attempt at “Swan Lake”.

On this recording I had problems with A string on tenor ukulele.
    There are snarls on the 5th fret. I suspect that strings are too deep for the rest stroke technique. Or something else…

Have a nice day!

katazumiri
    Participant

@andrew I’m afraid “Swan Lake 2” ended up in spam…

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_ thank you so much, friend! 😊Sometimes I do feel more confident with certain challenges, but even though this one is classical-themed, which I am pretty familiar with, the techniques and the songs are unfamiliar (mostly). It’s good to know I’m not alone in feeling that way. You’re right. Maybe I should just give it a go before getting all anxious but, well, that’s just my brain. 😅 I’m trying to work on that though. But thank you! You’re right that these challenges are all about overcoming and growing which everyone pretty much always does. I haven’t cried yet though so that’s progress! 😉😅

Andrew
    Keymaster

@katazumiri – Thanks for letting me know, it’s showing now 🙂

evapaju

OMG @katazumiri
    Swan Lake 1 and Swan Lake 2 sounded both really cool and fun 🙂 Somehow the metal backing track seemed so appropriate!

leb397
    Participant

@katazumiri excellent entry! Love the bass and at the slower pace made it seem more “ dark”. Very cool.
    @TBB AND @gi_gi_ , ladies I’m always impressed with your entries and you gave me inspiration when I posted my first entry last April.
    We all have self doubt but we keep practicing :).
    It’s been slow but I can tell I’m making baby steps… Can’t wait to see more entries!

gi_gi_
    Participant

@Leb397 Thanks. When I started this month’s challenge I really thought I wouldn’t be able to do it. Adelita is really hard but I’m so surprised how quickly the brain is kicking in. That encourages me to not give up. When I see everyone’s submission I’m always so impressed. Keep up the good work everyone. ☺️

sarahmusic

@katazumiri this is amazing, i loved the metal swan lake!!

gi_gi_
    Participant

@katazumiri Wow! Amazing.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@katazumiri, heck to the yes! That was amazing! You shredded that swan… lake.

@leb397
    , thank you so much! I might cry from encouragement from you and @gi_gi_ and also @Andrew and others who are so supportive here. I look forward to seeing everyone’s entries in these challenges, too! 🙂

dianna
    Participant

@gi_gi_

Yes Gigi! Thank-you….so true….Adelita does seem to be packed full with all the techniques….quite the challenge! Luckily, I started with Swan Lake in February….so I practiced the rest stroke, which was a good start for this piece. I find myself going in and out of the course as each technique presents itself. Also, I have had to create a road map, literally writing down which finger goes where for each measure, based on Stephens directions in the lesson. Good-luck and thanks again, Dianna

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by dianna.
    dianna
    Participant

@The_Bumble_Bard

I have also been trying to participate in each challenge. This April it will be a year worth of challenges. It has been fun, I have also experienced the same feelings of overwhelm, especially when trying to record! But, I think it says a lot for all of us who keep going….keep exploring all of these different aspects of playing….especially the mental. I do have a question, maybe I should pose it to @andrew – I have noticed that as soon as I move on to a new piece, I lose the last piece from my memory. I have other music that seems to stay with me always….but these pieces come and then go. Any thoughts on memory retention? Has anyone else had the same experience?

gi_gi_
    Participant

@dianna Thanks. I think Matt did a monthly q&a about that of sorts. I forget everything too 😂 When I go to play something again it takes just a little bit to get it back. I need to get the notes out and everything but it comes quickly. I have considered making a little playlist of sorts that I practice and keep in my memory but I haven’t done it yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 178 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.