Participate in the March 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Classical Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Classical Ukulele!

• This topic has 180 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by dianna.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    karenj
    Participant

Here is my version of Swan Lake for my March challenge submission. It isn’t quite full tempo, but I liked it better a bit slower. I was also amazed how much a new R hand technique messed with my head. It was like learning to walk and chew gum all over again! And March in New England is always much too long, yet I still didn’t make it through the full course. The many wonderful submissions of Adelita have encouraged me to finish soon! You are all rocking it!

Thanks again to all at RC 101.

Karen

tim0721
    Participant

PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello all.
    Always a pleasure to watch everyone’s entries.

Anyway, here is my perfectly imperfect take on Adelita.

terryfallon3
    Participant

Hey everybody.

Here’s my continuation in Steven’s great Classical course.
    I’m really enjoying it so here’s my rendition of the Free Stroke exercise.
    For what it’s worth.

tessiert
    Participant

Hi all,

I did Danse Paysanne because I wanted to take a first shot at learning some of the expressive subtleties. I appreciate that the song takes it easy on the left hand so that I have at least some chance of paying attention to what the right hand is doing.

Happy Spring!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, thank you so much my friend! Tbh, I never feel cooler than when I’m playing that electric uke. 😂 That was also a part of the struggle though because boy those strings are a little harsher on the fings, than my little plastic (?) stringed soprano uke. And it’s bigger and heavier of course. But thank you! Your take on that one was so lovely despite those challenges. 😊

Yes, the recording jitters may not ever go away. For me it’s just accepting that my hands will shake for the first few takes and that I’ll keep going until that passes. And also really trying to know the song as well as possible helps.

Same! Excited for April’s challenge!! 😁

@dianna
    , thank you for being so open about sharing your struggles, too! You said all of that so well and I couldn’t agree more. I feel like the mental and emotional side of playing an instrument can be one of the greatest challenges and rewards, as much as learning the music. I feel the same way that playing uke is simultaneously a way to face and soothe anxiety, and the second thing is what helps you hold on when things are really difficult and you want to give up. Or if you feel like you’re not good enough, which I’ve often felt.

Thank you again! The encouragement from people here has helped so much. My real hobby is actually crying about ukulele. 😂😉

jedart
    Participant

@Andrew did you critique page 7? I don’t think I saw any advice for my attempt at the rest strokes in Swan Lake.

niean01
    Participant

Hi all,
    I did Study in B Minor.

#SoundCloud

Have a nice weekend.
    André

Andrew
    Keymaster

@jedart – Steven did in this post 🙂

mepasha
    Participant

Hi Andrew
    This month’s submission.
    Cheers!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Friendly Reminder – The deadline for receiving feedback and an entry into the giveaway is tonight at 11:59 PM EDT (check your local time zone).

concan
    Participant

I am a premium member

Hello everyone,
    This month I choose study in b minor.
    Sometimes my tone sounds not clear and my string sounds „choked“. I don‘t know if this is the right word and i hope you know what I mean….
    How can I do it better?

nelsonlin2021
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

I really enjoyed learning and applying the Apoyando technique to playing Swan Lake for the March challenge. The alternating finger picking took some time for me to get used to and building a consistent force on each stroke was not easy to master.

As always, appreciate any feedback for improvement.

omaon4

I am a prime member (should we still mention that?)

I went straight to Adelita because that was the piece that spoke to me most.

I could have used another two weeks of practice to get it more accurate and up to speed, make it more expressive and master all the other things that Andrew will bring to my attention.☺️

I took a little short cut in measure 3,4 and 6 of the B part just to be able to get my submission in on time.

I enjoyed it a lot and will continue to work on it.
    Thanks!

omaon4

Oops! Forgot the link!

omaon4

Loved it!!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 178 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.