Participate in the March 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Classical Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Classical Ukulele!

• This topic has 180 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by dianna.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@dianna, that’s awesome! Congrats on almost a year of challenges. Sigh, yes, that has been one of the most challenging things for me, as well, is working on my fear of being on camera and playing on camera, but I feel like I’ve come a long way with that, even though it’s still a work in progress. Yes, that’s what’s so neat to see is how each person here overcomes their own personal challenges within these musical challenges. πŸ˜… Challenges!

As far as memorizing songs, for me, I don’t try to keep every song I learn in memory, but for the ones I do want to remember I keep them in my “rotation” of songs that I play almost every day, or at least every time I play. I do also have a list of all the songs I know by heart that I can reference but I personally only have… maybe ten songs memorized. Not many.

There should be a ukulele anxiety thread where everyone can vent about their various struggles like these. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜…

Andrew
    Keymaster

@katazumiri – Bravo on the duet πŸ‘ The bass line is equally as beautiful!

And metal swan lake is epic! Def gonna share this performance in our newsletter this week πŸ™‚

@dianna
    – Happens to all of us. The only way to retain it is to keep it in constant rotation. As in, playing/practicing it at least every week. Here’s Matt’s lesson on memorizing that GiGi mentioned.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@katazumiri – Just shared it on our social media (FB and insta) πŸ™‚

And I forgot to say, great job on the rest stroke technique! Your picking technique is excellent!

katazumiri
    Participant

Thanks to everyone in the rockclass101 community for their support πŸ™‚

jgillard
    Participant

@katazumiri, both of your swan lake submissions are awesome! Great job!

jgillard
    Participant

@The_Bumble_Bard

There should be a ukulele anxiety thread where everyone can vent about their various struggles like these. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜…

As soon as the camera starts recording, my playing goes from hero to zero in short order! πŸ™‚
    It’s even worse if I have to play in front of people. I don’t do it enough to condition myself to the experience. I’m also way to hard on myself. I strive for perfection instead of having fun with it. Definitely something I need to work on more and more!!

As for memorization, I will try and memorize any song I’m working on. Depending on my overall interest in the song, I may forget it in short order. But if I want to play it again in the future, it does not take me too long to get it back in the short term memory. Those that I play every day will stick around a lot longer. But if I stop playing them, I’ll forget them and have to polish them back up. I don’t have too large of a repertoire at the moment. That will build up over time I’m sure!

marianne
    Participant

Hey friends!
    Could not pass on learning the beautifully melancholic Study in B minor…!

Off to learn Adelita πŸ™‚

leb397
    Participant

@dianna I am so glad you mentioned the retention of the songs/challenges we have entered. I too was feeling as if I was lacking because I couldn’t remember some of the song that I had practices 100 times and thought, how do others do that. The comments that others made on how they do come back quicker with the music in front of you. It’s even funny how your fingers just pick up the next note sometimes.:-)
    Congrats on your 12th month of entries! I too am about to post my 12th consecutive entry! Exciting.

@gi_gi_
    yes Matt had good points in his q&a lesson. I have a few fav’s that I play regularly but need to add more – Louisa

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by leb397.
    leb397
    Participant

So much to absorb from the Classical course. THEN trying to implement into Danse Paysanne is a challenge. I really like the piece, which is why I chose it. Enjoy the way that Stephen teaches and love the sound of a low G.
    Last – this is my 12th consecutive entry – hip hip!!! REALLY love this group!!! thanks @andrew
    Louisa

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@jgillard, oh my, I know exactly what you mean. I’ve played in front of people maybe a total of four or five times in the three years I’ve been playing (though I only really started getting into learning uke when I found RC101) and two of those times I froze and forgot everything I know. But last week I played in front of someone in my family and nailed it with only a few stumbles, and she started crying, then I started crying. This is all good though because even though it’s terrifying to perform for others, playing uke has helped me break through some of my anxieties and I’ll be forever grateful to the people here for helping with that. 😊 So yeah, sometimes it’s a matter of, as Matt has said, getting more comfortable with being in a state of utter terror. πŸ˜…

@marianne
    , that was hauntingly beautiful!

@leb397
    , that was so flippin’ lovely! And congrats to you my friend! 😊

Also sorry @Andrew I seriously don’t mean to help trigger these huge tangents in your challenge threads but I appreciate all the kind words from everyone so much and the support.

gi_gi_
    Participant

Wow! Wow! Wow! These submissions are so good.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@marianne – Beautifully played! Sounds gorgeous on that uke πŸ™‚

@leb397
    – Love your interpretation of the piece, Louisa! Well done and congrats on 12 in a row! That’s amazing πŸ‘ πŸ‘

marianne
    Participant

Thank you so much @The_Bumble_Bard and @Andrew πŸ™‚
    Congrats @leb397! And very well played

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by marianne.
    leb397
    Participant

@andrew thank you!
    And @The_Bumble_Bard keep on strumming 😊

dianna
    Participant

Yikes! Full disclosure – Turns out, I realized I actually started in May not April. It was the Beatles challenge that pulled me in…and though it will be a year, I skipped one or two, so I have only completed 8 challenges, with every intention of continuing. So congrats to @leb397 for completing 12 and congrats to the rest of us for persevering and thank-you to the Rockclass101 team…..I’m really enjoying these challenges…….whew!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 178 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.