Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    kayleighb

I am a premium member

First challenge submission for a while as I’ve been suffering with joint pain! I now have a diagnosis of arthritis so been taking this one super slow. It’s a bit clumsy in places and far from polished, but it’s recorded 😂

brabbit
    Participant

Toss a Coin to Your Witcher! My entry for November.

AJ

hey everyone! Here is everyone on page 10!

bklynsoul

Sounds great! I would work on the timing on some of the notes. Most of the notes sound just fine, but there are a few that are a slightly late. This piece has a lot of space between notes so it can be a little weird to keep count in your head, but it sounds great overall!!

rockmyuke
    this sounds great! Not much to reall to critique. Keep it up! I love the Martin acoustic btw!

andyrose

sounds awesome! I would be careful with that stubborn fret buzz! Making sure your playing with enough force on the strings is a great to solve that. Great Job overall!

katazumiri

Great Job! I like that you’re playing it a bit slower. Everything sounds clean up smooth, so now you can work on bringing it up to tempo. Sounds awesome!!

b_ukes_101

Sounds great! I would just pay attention to the timing as well as the slides. This piece is slow and there’s a lot of space between notes, so keeping count in your head is super important for this one. You sound awesome and im happy you enjoyed the tune!!

lbilkie
    sounds awesome!! timing was great and so was the tone and dynamics. It’s a dark tune and so it needs a slightly darker timbre by playing it softer, so great job!!

lynnwatson

sounds awesome!! I would work on the chord transitions a bit as that will make it much smoother sounding! But you got the piece down packed so it’s just that little bit. Great Job!

robinl

Sounds great!! not much to critique here. Awesome Job!!

givingtree89
    Great Job!! I would work on eliminating some of that fret buzz. I still get that all the time too, and it comes from not enough force on the string, or your playing the note too close to the actual fret. You just gotta watch out for that because it happens to all of us! Sounds awesome though!!

wrongbrown
    Great Job! Very smooth and nice to listen too. Not much to critique here. Love the shirt as well!!

dododudus
    Fantastic Job!! Great technique too. Love the end!! Great job overall. keep it up!!

bemarlie

Great Job! Only thing i would say is maybe watch the tempo through out by adding some rubato. That technique sounds great on most solo instrumental pieces and for this one especially i think it would sound great. Sounds awesome already though!!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 11.

mozcyc – well done! One tip: Try not to bend your fingers inward at the first joint on the D chord. We always want to keep it curved, like you did with the other chords. But overall, you did a great job – it was very well played!

coffeemug – Here’s my feedback for you and the lesson I referenced.

happyonuke – Great job! I thought you did very well! Moving forward, I’d probably take a section (like 4 bars at a time) and work on building sustain, which in-turn will help you build finger strength as this is a pretty barre chord heavy tune.

luizaveit – I dig the free time intro! The whole performance was well played, keep up the great work!

henri0 – Ok I see what you did – those measures were fine, but you played bar 26 as all eighths – which honestly doesn’t sound bad at all as a solo arrangement, because it turns it into a measure of 3/4. If you were doing that in an ensemble, that would put you ahead of everyone else for the remainder of the song. Which obviously wouldn’t be good thing.

Other than that, your playing was great overall. I enjoyed the performance!

jkulele – Great performance overall! The only thing I’d work on is that some of the melody notes, mostly on the A string, where cut a bit short. Make sure that you keep your finger pressure held down for the duration of the notes value. In other words, don’t lift up prematurely.

annemarie – Well done, Anne! Keep working on Witcher. For DS, it was great overall. I think some of your fingering choices could be changed to make it easier to play – like the barre chord in bar 15 or the double stops on the A and E strings in bar 9 (and when those licks reappear throughout the song). I’d recommend using the fingerings taught in the lesson video. It’ll make it much easier to play those parts.

Other than that, you may also want to play along with the tab player. Stephen tracked it to a click, so his timing is spot on. His playing would act as a guide to help keep you in time. Which is a fun alternative over the tried and true metronome.

P.S. For the future, please post your submissions as a reply in the challenge post instead of creating a new topic.

ccwuke – Nice job! You’ve got a great base established overall, but you may wanna double check the intro. I’d also suggest listening back to your performance and targeting your practice on the areas that you struggled a bit on.

beauke – Excellent performance! Honestly, the only thing that stood out to me were the strumming parts. Try to not rush the rhythm/timing there. It’s mostly eighth note strums (down/up) with a quarter note strum thrown in. Try to count that section when you play it – but it should stay even with the fingerpicking parts.

joannetala – Performance was awesome! You did great on some of the big subtleties of this arr. – like the volume build up in bar 12. And the timing, great job on that too! Only thing I’d do differently is the Em chord in bar 4 (and when that section pops up again), keep your fingers held down as you build/pluck outta of it so it sustains more. Keep up the great work, Joanne!

alana_ – You did so well!! You improved A LOT on the areas I talked about in that video for you. I’m also really impressed that you tackled this one so well! Bravo, keep up the good work! The only thing I noticed to address is in the beg of the performance. In the first few bars, when you go up to 10/9, 8/7 and so forth. Pluck only the bottom 2 strings, not all 4 for those hits 😉

mademoiselleannette – Wonderfully played, keep up the great work!

AJ

Hey everyone! Here is everyone on page 12!

goody2shoes
    Sounds great!! not much to critique. Keep it up!

joe150

Awesome job! I would just work with a few of those chord traditions and smoothen them up a bit. I think that’s really the main thing here. Keep up the good work!!

ebetsimo

Great Job! I think you played this very well. keep up the good work!

mistaken

great job!! the slower tempo works well here I think. Keep up the good work, I think this sounds nice!!

pika80019
    fantastic job!! I really enjoyed listening. Sounds great!!

tiff27

sounds awesome!! I would work on some of the chord transitions. This tune has a lot of chords in it, some that move faster than others. So being able to transition seamlessly through them will make this one sound great. Everything else you sounds spot on, so keep it up!!

stainukulele

Great Job! very nice performance. Not much to critique here. Keep it up!

andracass
    sounds great!! Only thing i would say is to work on the chord transitions! This tune has a lot of chords so it’s a bit challenging. Other than that you sound fantastic!! Keep up the good work!!

aloooy

So good! I really enjoyed this. You sang great too. Love it. Great Job!!

whollyprofit

Great job! Nothing wrong with taking it slow. It’s always better to practice slow and practice correctly instead of jumping up to tempo and playing things sloppy. You sound great!!

janaq1

You sound great!! Not much to critique. Awesome job!!

Catherine

Sounds awesome!! Very nice to listen to. Keep it up!!

rucha11

sounds awesome! I would watch out for some fret buzz especially on the higher notes. I still will get that too, just be more cautious of your finger placement as you get up to those higher notes so you make sure to watch out for that as you playing. Great Job overall!

dal08260

Great job!! The chords sound great, I would work on some of the melody notes since it sounds a bit choppy on a few parts. Make sure the notes ring for the appropriate length and you should be golden. It’s an easy fix! you sound awesome so adding this in shouldn’t be an issue!

akukes73
    Participant

Hi Stephen, thanks for the encouraging feedback! I’m working my way through the harmonics course though annoyingly broke my right thumbnail last week. Struggling with the tapping but watching some of Andrew’s feedback to comments on that. Will carry on working on the Witcher song and will pay attention to your feedback. Thank you!

bklynsoul
    Participant

Hi AJ, thanks for the feedback. I heard the late notes too. After a few re-recordings for other issues, I just had to go for it.

rufio0

I AM PREMIUM MEMBER.

Here is my entry for November

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by rufio0.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by rufio0.
    humerosa

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Aloha fellow uke-fanatics,

it seems like this is the best I can manage on a Monday evening. Or at least the best so far, without getting lynched by my neighbors, who – though patient – do surely want to find some sleep without the same lullaby over and over again =).

Mahalo nui for the opportunity @Andrew and Rockclass 101.

Good night from Germany for now,
    Jan

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Andrew. Reason: PM Added
    celia21
    Participant

Hi,
    this is my recording of Puff the Magic Dragon

santai
    Participant

After having missed last months challenge I worked on this one with all the more determination!
    I like your arrangement of “Toss a Coin to Your Witcher” even better than the original – so it had to be this one for this challenge. It definitely brought me to my limits, with only so much time to spare, having a 2 month old baby girl at home. <3 I found this piece surprisingly hard to memorize, with all the repetitions being rather similar but never exactly the same. I still don’t have the chorus down, but that’s due to lack of time.
    The playing is a little stiff, the performance far from flawless and I had to keep the volume down while recording – but it was now or never. 😉

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

So here is my go at this months challenge – enjoy! 😀

ukandoit

Hello Andrew and all the team 🙂
    I asked you if I could learn the easiest one but I ended learning dream state and witcher haha. Hope you enjoy the phone recording for this time, I lost a wire for my mic 😒

I’m preparing my video for Georgia on my mind, I worked a lot, I can’t wait to show you!!

🖖

cloud_cactus
    Participant

lol this one is kinda meh…but oh well haha

I definitely needed to practice this one a bit more, and I plan on that, but for now, here is my attempt at Puff the Magic Dragon. I love this song and I’m so happy I got to learn it!!!

Also I realize that my pinky and ring finger occasionally are set down on the body of the uke lol I’m trying to get out of that habit it’s hard tho
    -Brinley

jayton
    Participant

Premium Member

I loved the arrangement of Toss a coin to your witcher, ever since it came out!
    Man, my skills got tested, especially with the pressure of recording, but these challenges make me study the Uke 😁

Here is my entry

Greetz,
    Jay

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by jayton.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Friendly Reminder – The deadline for receiving feedback and an entry into the giveaway is tonight at 11:59 PM EST (check your local time zone).

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.