Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a

Viewing 13 posts - 211 through 223 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    maryjanew
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I had a hard time with the syncopation and the bar D. But I feel I made a lot of progress but still a ways to go! I played the timing by ear because I know the melody but I get nervous when recording. So when I thought I had it memorized, I would forget and there are slight pauses getting back on track! I love this song though, takes me back to my childhood. I will share it with my grandchildren!

jkulele

@Andrew, thanks for the positive feedback. I will keep an eye out for that. Possibly need to slow it down a little bit and practice a bit more before bringing it back up to speed.

Catherine
    Participant

Thank you very much for your feedback, Andrew!
    Best regards,
    Catherine

humerosa

Oh, yikes!

I am a premium member =). totally forgot to mention that the first time around.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@humerosa – got it 🙂

AJ

Here is everyone on page 13!

kayleighb

Great Job! Timing was good and so was the tone of how you played the uke. Not to bright or dark. I use a slightly different fingering at some parts but that can just be a personal preferance. Sounds awesome overall!! Hope your arthritis gets better soon!

brabbit

Awesome job! not much to critique here. Sounds great!

rufio0

Sounds great! I would watch for fret buzz. It usually comes from not enough force being pressed on the string, or playing the note too close to the fret. I only heard it mainly in the beginning, so it’s not a major issue!

humerosa

Great Job! To me it sounds a little choppy so a couple things to practice would be dynamics and rubato. Using both of those will make it sound smoother and not all the same in terms of the loudness of each note. Having it vary it volume and tempo makes a solo piece like this sound really great. You have the piece down so I would just work on these couple things. Great Job overall!!

celia21

Sounds Great! Not much to critique. Keep it up!

santai

Great Job! I enjoyed the tempo you played this at. Gives it a cool vibe. Sounds awesome!!

ukeandoit

Killer job! Super smooth performance and nice tone, too!

cloud_cactus

Awesome job! I would watch out for that string noise where it sounds like you not pressing on the fret when you hit the string. It’s a simple fix, you just have to be aware of it as you go to play each note. I only heard that mainly in the beginning so you should get it in no time!

jayton

Awesome Job! I really enjoyed this performance. Keep it up!

humerosa

Hi AJ,

Thank you for your feedback. That’s definitely coming to my list for the song. I also want to get the speed up a bit, but since the due date is now over, I can do it on a more relaxing way =).

Is the rubato apparent in the demo video? I’ll have to look that up later.

Have a nice day
    Jan

Andrew
    Keymaster

@humerosa – For that song, I’d only use rubato for the intro. I’d keep the rest of it steady 🙂 Matt didn’t really use rubato on this. Check out the lesson I linked for a better example of it.

humerosa

Aloha Andrew,

Thank you for your link! =)

Mahalos
    Jan

AJ

here is everyone on page 14!

lissid

Awesome Job!! Really nice performance here. Keep it up!

oldan_

Sounds great! I would say practice it just a little bit more because there is a slight hesitation before some chords. There are a lot of chords in this piece so that’s very common. I have the same thing with songs like this. It just requires a little extra practice. You should great so keep it up!

pgoody

awesome job! I would just work on the chord changes a little more, since there are a lot of chords in this piece. The more familiar you are with it, the quicker you can transition from chord to chord. Sounds great overall!

uku_on

Great Job!! The things i would work on come from practice. Getting everything to sound a bit smoother and dynamics and rubato. you have the piece down so keep it up!

cyberloh

sounds great! Only thing is i would work on the vibrato a bit more. it’s more so in the wrist more so than the whole hand. Doing it with the whole hand can tend to sound unnatural and really shaky. Vibrato is a tricky thing to get down at first, but you want it to sound as smooth as possible. The rest of the piece sounds fantastic though so keep it up!

unclemymy

sounds great!! I would just say to practice those chord transitions a bit more. This song does have a lot of chords so spending some extra time to get those transitions down can make a big difference. Killer job overall!

themccoys
    Great Job! I would just work on those chord transitions a bit. There are a lot in this song and it can cause you to hesitate for a second right before the next chord. So just get used to each chord change in the song because once you break that slight hesitation, everything starts to sound smooth. Awesome job!

dividedsky

Great job! I enjoyed your performance. Keep it up!

iyers408 – Great job! I would say to work on the last quarter of the piece. That sounds like the only spot you were having a sight issue with. Just comes with a bit more practice to get everything smooth with no fret buzz and stuff like that. Keep it up!!

mac1984

sounds great overall! Just some slight little things i heard here and there (fret buzz and a couple of dead notes), but overall this was awesome!! Looking forward to seeing more from you next month. Keep it up!

lakeside339
    Great Job!! You definitely got the right vibe for the song in your performance. So keep it up! Hope your power comes back on very soon!!

lildivil

Great job!! I couldn’t hear too closely since the audio is being cut in and out on the video, but it sounds like you played it very well! In your webcame software on your computer, look for a setting that says something like “reduce background noise”. A lot of these welcomes will think instruments are background noise and will try to to cut the audio out. The setting should be under audio settings. See if that helps! Great job overall!!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@maryjanew – I made this video for another member earlier this month. It talked about reworking fingerings to match your playing style. NOW – after watching your video, I don’t think you need to do this. The D chord w/ index is sounding good! It’s just one of those fingerings that takes awhile to get comfy with. But anyways, I’d encourage you to watch the video and remember the tips, it’s good for future use 🙂

For memorizing: Try sections at a time. Like 4 or 8 bars. Play while looking at the music for that section, then cover it up and play without looking. If you fumble, target your practice on that specific area. Don’t move onto the next section until you’ve got it 100% down w/out looking. That approach has always worked well for me!

And btw – your performance was great. Great tone and I heard no misunderstandings of rhythms. Keep up the great work and def play it for the grandkids!

Andrew
    Keymaster

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED THIS MONTH! WE HAD 121 ENTRIES! YOU GUYS ROCK!

Hope to see everyone in our December Challenge. December is your LAST CHANCE to win the Kanile’a!

Here is a list of everyone who participated. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

—-

bdenham14
    bdenham14
    mark1256
    mark1256
    concan
    concan
    pippin105
    pippin105
    deadbuggy
    deadbuggy
    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    krolik
    shmu88
    shmu88
    qiuyan
    qiuyan
    rebeca
    simonalexander
    simonalexander
    nthibode
    nthibode
    cauer2
    cauer2
    apoole
    apoole
    janett75
    janett75
    schaap123
    schaap123
    shann0potato
    shann0potato
    lisadmh
    lisadmh
    sir_anzalot
    sir_anzalot
    ukulelee
    ukulelee
    misterbones
    misterbones
    cncamacho
    cncamacho
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    laurakarr12
    laurakarr12
    turkgoose
    turkgoose
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    lisamcc
    lisamcc
    emiliano
    emiliano
    eszti5mail
    eszti5mail
    ukandrea
    ukandrea
    mennloo
    alisoniles
    alisoniles
    marianne
    marianne
    isabelm
    isabelm
    tsetsova
    tsetsova
    debb1985
    debb1985
    allesyone
    kelsey91
    addilein
    addilein
    antotonin
    antotonin
    amylilley
    amylilley
    brettboy
    brettboy
    surrealflea
    surrealflea
    ukesilver
    ukesilver
    kirpuff
    kirpuff
    sdorunga
    ealtman
    ealtman
    tric_o_tronic
    tric_o_tronic
    marlongas
    marlongas
    lhamilton
    lhamilton
    smokealot
    smokealot
    willymac
    willymac
    gstriph
    gstriph
    morrieuke1
    morrieuke1
    aksiomatic
    aksiomatic
    karenj
    karenj
    kanae926
    kanae926
    hibiscus
    hibiscus
    andrewvh
    andrewvh
    akukes73
    akukes73
    patparr
    patparr
    bklynsoul
    bklynsoul
    rockmyuke
    rockmyuke
    andyrose
    andyrose
    katazumiri
    b_ukes_101
    b_ukes_101
    lbilkie
    lbilkie
    lynnwatson
    lynnwatson
    robinl
    givingtree89
    givingtree89
    wongbrown
    wongbrown
    dododudus
    dododudus
    bemarlie
    bemarlie
    mozcyc
    coffeemug
    coffeemug
    happyonuke
    luizaveit
    henri0
    henri0
    jkulele
    jkulele
    annemarie
    annemarie
    ccwuke
    ccwuke
    beauke
    beauke
    joannetala
    joannetala
    alana_
    alana_
    mademoiselleannette
    goody2shoes
    goody2shoes
    joe150
    joe150
    ebetsimo
    miztaken
    miztaken
    pika80019
    pika80019
    tiff27
    stianukulele
    stianukulele
    andracass
    andracass
    aloooy
    aloooy
    whollyprofit
    whollyprofit
    janaq1
    janaq1
    Catherine
    Catherine
    rucha11
    rucha11
    dal08260
    dal08260
    kayleighb
    kayleighb
    brabbit
    rufio0
    rufio0
    humerosa
    humerosa
    celia21
    santai
    santai
    ukandoit
    ukandoit
    cloud_cactus
    jayton
    jayton
    lissid
    lissid
    oldan_
    oldan_
    pgoody
    pgoody
    uku_on
    uku_on
    cyberloh
    cyberloh
    unclemymy
    unclemymy
    themccoys
    themccoys
    dividedsky
    dividedsky
    iyers408
    iyers408
    mac1984
    mac1984
    lakeside339
    lakeside339
    lildevil
    lildevil
    maryjanew
    maryjanew

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Andrew. Reason: Updated
    sdorunga
    Participant

Took a break and came back to the site a couple of days ago and I realised I hadn’t replied.

Thanks so much for the feedback @Andrew, I really appreciate it. Small targeted loops is something I was trying to do more at the end but I think I kind of just panicked about the deadline a bit 😀 I started on the harmonics course and I’ll give the targeted practice another shot this month.

Viewing 13 posts - 211 through 223 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.