Participate in the September 2019 Member Challenge – Next Level Strumming!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the September 2019 Member Challenge – Next Level Strumming!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    jedart
    Participant

Thanks Andrew for the critique, here is my latest attempt to get the timing down better, keep in mind I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time 😉

I posted just beat 1 for now

jedart
    Participant

Sorry, I posted the wrong one

willymac
    Participant

Here is my entry for the September strumming challenge. I have a fake finger nail on the index finger and haven’t figured how to use it yet.

willymac
    Participant

Whoops, I forgot to say I’m a premium member.

mac1984
    Participant

Thank you for the feedback!

I will review the beginner course and focus on the finger bend and not pulling the strings. I had noticed my chords don’t always seem in tune when I play despite the ukulele being tuned. Until you pointed this out I had no idea why that was. Thanks for solving that mystery!

nerdjenni
    Participant

Hi – random question, but I noticed some people have something clipped to their ukes. Is that a tuner? If so, what is purpose of having it clipped on the entire time (versus just using it for tuning and taking it off)? I’ve seen some youtube videos of professionals who also have it on during their performances, so I figure there must be a purpose that is alluding me? Thanks! Just really really curious…

willymac
    Participant

I play bass in various bands and pit orchestras and I got into the habit of always having a tuner either in the stomp box chain or clipped on the bass. In live performances a thousand things things can detune your instrument. The singer or guitarist or crew can bump your head stock and put it out of tune, the temperature and humidity can change causing the strings to detune, you can be sitting/standing too close to the lights which can detune the strings, actors can bump into you during a quick exit, and if you’re playing outside stringed instruments just go out of tune every other song, etc… It’s just a good idea to have a tuner handy. So I always leave one attached to all my instruments. Although, I’m not good enough to perform on the uke yet, I have one on my uke because I’m lazy and don’t want to have to look for a tuner when I sit down to play. 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 7 I hadn’t gotten to yet.

—-

jinajupiter – Bravo, Jina! Playing and technique execution is excellent! So at this stage, I’d be listening for the subtleties that you can improve upon. For example, I’d work on cleaning up (eliminating the buzz) the G7 chord in bars 21 and 22. Keep up the great work!

erino7 – well done, you’ve got the technique sounding great! I saw your comment on rhythm and I understand where you’re coming from. Here’s what you want to work on:

Also, check out the video in this post. It talks about keeping your fingers curved at the first joint when fretting basic chords.

@nerdjenni
    – yes, the claw sounds more pronounced! Keep up the good work 🙂

nosferatu – Perfection, well done!

coffeemug – Well done! Here is my feedback for you. And here’s the lesson I referenced.

kirpuff – I think you have a great base established, so what you want to work on is keeping the tempo steady, as it jumps around quite a bit when you transition from one technique or section to the next. This song is split into four, so I would work on one section at a time and play alongside the metronome or the on screen tab viewer set to synthetic mode.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@jedart – okay, so your last hit, you are holding it out longer than the other hits. Keep in mind that every hit is derived from an eighth note pattern, therefore every hit should last and equal length of time. I’d work on practicing by playing alongside my performance using the tab player to slow it down to a speed that you are comfortable with. But overall, this is a step in the right direction and an improvement. Keep up the good work!

willymac – Aced it! Love the laid back feel you gave it. I’m gonna share this on our social media today. Excellent playing! 🙂

isabelm
    Participant

I’ve been learning songs/techniques for a while, and decided to finally participate in a member challenge. So here’s my first entry! Everyone’s been doing such a great job and it’s fun to follow along and see everyone’s take. This was definitely a mental challenge with trying to coordinate the chords and rhythms.

Here’s the drum pattern applied to the song Mr. Brightside:

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by isabelm.
    willymac
    Participant

Andrew, Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I also appreciate you and all the teachers here at RockClass101. You make learning the ukulele challenging and fun.

Andrew
    Keymaster

isabelm – Great job on getting the technique down and using it on a diff tune! 🙂

So there are 2 things that I’d work on. First, target your practice towards “beat 2”. Seems like it tripped you up a little bit. Slow down the pattern and try to tap your foot along and count out the rhythms. That will help a lot for keeping that section at a steady tempo.

The second thing that I’d work on is cleaning up your chords. Sometimes they’re not ringing out completely, so check out this video that I made for another member earlier this month. It’s got tips that will help you as it talks about finger placement being close to the bar, but not on top of the bar (prevents notes from ringing out).

karenj
    Participant

I’ve been enjoying the strumming course but have been too busy for a submission this month. I wish you all well and look forward to learning from your submissions and feedback. Happy Fall!

ukukelley1
    Participant

Here is my strumming challenge entry, Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue, played on a jangly-sounding resonator, which seems to suit this song.
    Hey Andrew – I actually managed to memorize something for a change!
    Sheryl

joe150
    Participant

I hope this worked, I now it does not sound the best, but it better than what it sounded like the frist of the month. Yes, i got clam down and not have stage fright

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.