Participate in the September 2019 Member Challenge – Next Level Strumming!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the September 2019 Member Challenge – Next Level Strumming!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    tastyshrimp
    Participant

@ripley I noticed that too! It’s tricky to try to keep right hand movement small while also making the index finger percussion loud enough and different enough from the thumb/bridge hit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bccGS8bzI6A&pbjreload=10 I really like the sounds of the percussive hits they make in this video, but I don’t have nails so I haven’t been able to replicate it.

ripley
    Participant

Wow @tastyshrimp – that nail scratch sounds amazing! I love how easily the ukulele lends itself to different musical styles and techniques 🙂

I haven’t had time today to test keeping my hand still but I figure that, if I can’t get the sound I want from keeping my hand in the same position, I’ll just have to move it a bit!
    We all have different ukuleles and different hand sizes so a little flexibility in interpreting this percussive technique is probably necessary. In the Two Thumbs video I shared he was moving his hand loads to strum more fully.

ripley
    Participant

Here’s my drum-like percussion entry. The sound quality on my phone isn’t great – I am hitting the saddle with my thumb knuckle (honest!) but it hasn’t recorded as clearly as it sounds in person.
    This technique is a lot of fun to play 🙂

I am a premium member

tastyshrimp
    Participant

nicely done!

johanna2509
    Participant

Hey, I am also uploading the percussive rhythm strumming. What a cool technique! It is so much fun to play and it can spice up a lot of songs I like to strum and sing. So I just tried it out and applied the percussive beat to a song! I chose Teenagers from My Chemical Romance.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@ripley – Bravo! You’ve got it down, well done! 🙂

@johanna2509
    – That’s so cool that you applied it to another song. It sounds great and works super well!

For the version we did, 2 minor tips. Don’t forget to tune up before recording and watch the tempo going into applying the technique. In the cover tune, you kept it steady. So just wanna do the same for this one.

johanna2509
    Participant

Thank you Andrew! I just tuned my uke, the e string was half a step down. My ears did not notice that, but I remember hitting one of the tuners with my elbow earlier that day haha. I don’t know why, but this time recording was kind of stressfull, maybe that’s why I was speeding up towards the end.
    I always appreciate the feedback 🙂

ripley
    Participant

Thanks @andrew 🙂 I’m going to start working through the strumming technique course now.

laurasil
    Participant

@johanna2509 you do the percussive technique WHILE singing look so easy 😅 I liked it a lot!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by laurasil.
    holly1

Ok here is my submission. Drum-like perc. I will say that hold my uke is especially tricky when my right hand is off of the surface with the movement required. And dont even get me started on my left hand… my pinky is up like it’s tea time. But without the added support from my right hand it becomes tricky to keep it all steady and proper. All that considered, I think it sounds ok. Hoping to do Five Foot Two later before month’s end. ~ Holly

Andrew
    Keymaster

@holly1 – I’d give you an A for that performance! Timing, technique, and your tone of the piece is consistent and very pretty overall. From what you wrote, it sounds like it may feel a lil’ awk to play. And maybe that’s just do to it being a somewhat “out there” playing approach. If so, I’d say keep doing it till it feels second nature. Which doesn’t sound/look like it’s that far away for you.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Ohh and you have to love it. Both Uke AND Music. Because if you do, you’ve got passion, and that is what will drive you to continually work to get better.

holly1

Thx Andrew for the comments! Yes I certainly do love uke, it’s all I want to do in my free time, and I love this rhythm too. The actual rhythm flows for me pretty effortlessly now, but all the while my ukulele is so loose, not held by my right arm at all, thank goodness for the strap!

becky7777
    Participant

Nice everyone! I love everybody’s submissions!! Jealous of them too! Can’t help it! 💚 😁👍 Everyone’s kicking butt though with the rhythm this month!

Love you used your new technique in a song johanna!

Holly- That was great! I ended up going to get out some yarn for a strap. Found a set of wide Halloween shoelaces and just made an adjustable strap from those. My soprano is no longer in danger of falling on the floor randomly.👍

jinajupiter
    Participant

Christopher or Andrew, In what song is George Formby playing this split stroke?
    I was looking for some examples but couldn’t find any on YouTube :).
    Or other examples by players would be great.
    And who is the great “Royce Mack” for the pluck strum?
    I couldn’t understand his name. Or any other artist performing the pluck strum?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by jinajupiter.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by jinajupiter.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.