September 30, 2017 at 1:59 pm #13874
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with site member challenge #8! Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick one from the following 4 Rock Class 101 Halloween Themed Genre Lessons:
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast, slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: The Addams Family Theme
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: Stranger Things Theme, Hedwig’s Theme (Harry Potter), Halloween Theme
3. Participation Goal: 40 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 Halloween pieces anytime between Sunday, October 1st till Tuesday, October 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on November 3rd, 2017. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
1) $300 Gift Card to Uke Republic!
THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
Let’s crush this challenge!October 2, 2017 at 5:46 am #13884ser_serMember
Here is the play for The Addams Family Theme. Losing a bit tempo at last, but it is really a fun piece to play with. I think I was around 105, to get to 120 do need a lot of work and practice.
I will also try to do “Halloween Theme” for the month, hope finished by end of month.October 2, 2017 at 12:17 pm #13888
Awesome job ser_ser! I made a video with two pointers for you, let me know if you have any questions 🙂October 3, 2017 at 8:46 pm #13922lisadmhParticipant
Through Adam’s Family, you’ve taught me to play staccato. Very cool, as now I understand why I’ve been getting annoying inappropriate staccatos in Ode to Joy. I’m working on fixing that.
Thanks for aother great challenge. I hope to move up to Stranger Things, but we’ll see how I do. Adam’s family is trickier than it looks.October 4, 2017 at 2:42 pm #13923ukandoitParticipant
Ok i’ll throw myself in the water, trying the impossible and beautiful hedwig’s theme.
Going to need Arnica. 🙂October 4, 2017 at 4:11 pm #13924debber90ParticipantOctober 4, 2017 at 4:56 pm #13925
Awesome Deb and love the shirt 🙂 I love that you’ve got a metronome on, it’s an invaluable tool for the musician! Here’s a short little video with some helpful tips on playing along with the metronome. Let me know if you have any questions.October 5, 2017 at 3:00 pm #13930debber90ParticipantOctober 5, 2017 at 11:05 pm #13935
Hi Deb, you are on the right track. I would recommend to play along with the “synthetic” mode in the tab player and activate the metronome. If you do not know how to do this, reference the second video on this page and jump 6 minutes into it: https://rockclass101.com/learning-paths/
I’d recommend to loop one bar at a time and slow it down to a speed you are comfortable with. Then follow the guidelines I listed in the video for you 🙂 Please post an update and let me know how it’s going. But the synth mode will give you a guide to play along with.October 6, 2017 at 8:32 pm #13943jakeypooParticipantOctober 7, 2017 at 12:18 pm #13945
Nice playing Jake, very clean! One suggestion: the licks between the snaps are eighth note triplets, but you played them as swung eighth notes. So I’d go back and work on playing the correct rhythm for those parts. Great job overall!
This video will help you understand that rhythmic section:October 8, 2017 at 2:43 pm #13950andracassParticipant
Here my first attempt. I am studying also Edwige’s theme.October 8, 2017 at 5:10 pm #13951
That was fantastic MT! And I love the shirt 🙂 Target your practice for that chord transition (D7 to G) and you’ll be rocking and rolling, great job!October 9, 2017 at 6:40 am #13952andracassParticipant
Thank you! Believe me or not, but that transition was a lack of memory: I didn’t remember where to go 😀
Just a funny curiosity: before all I had to learn to snap with my right hand, I always did it only with the left one 😀October 9, 2017 at 2:36 pm #13954donnaukuleleMember
Not sure if this will work! My Addams Family tune. Thousandth take-feels like but Im so chuffed I made it to the end-it shows on my face!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.