Two Years of Uke

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Two Years of Uke

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    surferjay
    Participant

So I’m coming up to two years of playing the Ukulele some stage over the next month or so.

1st Year Goals – Learn to play the Ukulele. I tried lots of things, didn’t really focus on anything but learnt a lot and forgot more songs than I learnt ๐Ÿ™‚

2nd Year Goals – I really fell in love with looping. I guess it’s because I love live music and it’s the nearest thing you can get to a live Gig sitting on your own with no friends haha. I wanted to learn 5 loop covers which I could ‘perform’ and am happy with these covers are. I also wanted to improve my jamming/improvisation skills to play with others. I’m pretty happy where these goals are. There is still a huge amount to learn with all of these but I know enough to make it up as I go along which I guess is the heart of improvisation.

Year 3 Goals –

Improve Strumming techniques – Learn more advanced techniques: Ghost note strumming, rumba sturm.

Finger Style – I love looping I think it’ll be my goto music choice BUT… It’s a lot easier than finger style. The difficulty within Looping is fitting all the arrangement together but a lot of the melodies are pretty basic i.e Level 1/2 on this site. I would really like to improve on my technical abillity so plan to learn:

> Careless Whisper (Low G)
    > Maleguena (started this but never finished) (Low G)
    > Something in High G.

I would then like to learn how to record everything (with Ableton and an Audito Interface) in high quality and start to put stuff on Youtube in a more professional manner. Currently I just dump stuff on there so I don’t forget the songs I’ve made and how I played them.

… And I’ll buy another Uke hahaha

• This topic was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by surferjay.
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

That’s a fun timeline of goals you got there! Pretty cool to look back (and forward) like that. Congrats on hitting the two year mark! I actually need to go back and check when I got my first uke to know how long I’ve been playing. Those are great goals though! ๐Ÿ˜Š

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Er, or congrats on starting your third year playing? I’m very easily confused by things like that. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿฅบ

gi_gi_
    Participant

Congrats @Surferjay Thatโ€™s wonderful. Iโ€™m almost to my 1 1/2 yr mark. Now Iโ€™m gonna make sure I make the looping thing a part of my playing before my 2nd year is up ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    Fingerpicking is fun.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by gi_gi_.
    surferjay
    Participant

@TBB I’m loving the journey and playing the Uke has really come part of my life. A cup of tea on a morning and 30 minutes on a Uke always before I start my day ๐Ÿ™‚ I wasn’t sure whether to write 2nd year completed or 3rd year started I actually confused myself which is why you likely got confused ๐Ÿ™‚

@gi_gi_
    1.5 years is the good place. That’s where I felt I had made some progress. Let me know if you need any help with the Loop stuff. I’m still learning a lot myself but if you have any questions or get stuck on anything let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

p.s If you type into the song list ‘Sirius’ there is a loop cover that Andrew has done which is very cool ๐Ÿ™‚

ldarrow
    Participant

nice @surferjay. it sounds like you accomplished your goals. My timing is about the same as yours. Should be coming up to my 2 year anniversary around christmas. (initially actually was gifted a ukulele from my daughter in october but there were issues with it and it had to be sent back so really did not start until december giving me a christmas anniversary). I love the fingerpicking and tend to gravitate to those vs. strumming songs, so I need to work on strumming in the coming year. Also, I need to improve on my left hand technique. I tend to tug on the strings which can cause the notes to be out of tune. I have been working on that and have improved somewhat, but it still is an issue i need to work on… Good luck on your goals for the coming year

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, that’s so magical that you start your day like that! For me, I come home and do all the necessary life (allegedly-grown-up-person) things, then I play for as long as I can get away with, because I also am Addicted to Uke–Just like the song goes. ๐Ÿ˜‚

I’ve actually had to start putting a cap on how long I play because it’s super easy to lose time in it if you’re just lounging and uking.

Did you already start a thread somewhere just about your looping equipment and such? If not, maybe we could do that because I’m also really interested in trying a looper and discussing looper things. ๐Ÿ˜Š

surferjay
    Participant

@TBB (Just seen this sorry).

Looping Stuff: I posted on one of the posts a small clip of what I use. I just added a reverb pedal which I ordered from Amazon which I have not received yet but my setup is this:

Uke (with MISI pickup) > LR Baggs DI > RC5 Boss Looper > TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2 Reverb Pedal > Fishman Loudbox Mini.

To be honest the sound is exceptional BUT I played for the majority of the time with my cheap Cordoba Uke, $40 loop pedal and the Fishman Amp. Honestly it was more than enough for playing at home.

Best Buy undoubtedly was the Fishman Amp all the rest was fine tuning the sound.

Iโ€™m fortunate that I work in the UK but live in a time zone that is two hours behind. Basically it means that I donโ€™t really have to start work until 11 in the morning so I can play Uke, Go surfing or just make time for a cup of coffee at a cafe. Not going to lie this year Iโ€™ve not been able to do that as much as I would of liked as my wife has a stroke (from a car crash) & my old friend anxiety made an appearance which sort of made each day like a coin flip haha.

However ๐Ÿ™‚ Daily Uke is really a great meditation I genuinely find and with the risk of sounding like Iโ€™m going to start chanting โ€œItโ€™s the one place you can lose yourself and find yourself all at the same timeโ€.

Any loop questions let me know ๐Ÿ˜

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, I do remember that video of your setup but was trying to remember where it was. Probs in your last post about looping; that would make sense. ๐Ÿ˜…

I think I probably also will start out really simply with the most basic setup for looping. Everyone’s always saying how great that Fishman amp is. Maybe I can find one used…

That is really neat that you have a good chunk of extra time to play uke and such before you work (in theory)! ๐Ÿ˜… I get up at the crack of dawn for work, but that means I get out pretty early and have the whole day, pretty much. I’m very sorry to hear your wife went through that; my uncle had a stroke and they can be really destructive. Anxiety is the worst, sigh. And depression. But you just keep going and do your best with each day.

So true, playing uke is like meditation. It’s like therapy. ๐Ÿ˜… That’s the main reason I never wanted it to be a source of stress for me because it’s been an escape from woes and worries. I want to learn and grow and struggle with uke, but never let anything take away the joy of it. Also, love that quote. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Ha, thank you, man! I’m going to start looking around for a looper and look at your suggestions. First question: Are most loopers compatible with most amps? Because I have a really tiny amp I currently use.

I also meant to ask about your original post: Don’t you use fingerstyle playing while looping already? You had that for your 3rd year goals. ๐Ÿง

surferjay
    Participant

&tbb itโ€™s definitely worth starting out simple.. Most of the features on the more expensive loopers you donโ€™t need ie. Drum tracks, x100 memory slots, fade in/out, reverse bla bla.

Iโ€™ve just checked and the LEKATO loop pedal and itโ€™s under $40 now:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqMYazO

I wouldnโ€™t change the amp if you have one.. the loop pedal will work with any amp. You just need to buy another cable that you have to connect the Uke to the amp as now the looper will sit in the middle.

Looping and Fingerstyle.. if you look at the more complex fingerstyle arrangements on here often itโ€™s as if more than one instrument is playing ie There is a chord melody then there are other notes surrounding it that are being plucked which are not the melody ie.bass notes.. then there is percussion (slaps) + Rythm/strummingโ€ฆ All of itโ€™s happening at once.

Soooo.. when looping youโ€™re breaking down each of those into a single loop for instance youโ€™ll play the chords, then the melody, then add bass, then add percussion. So it sounds fuller like a live band and is simpler as youโ€™ll not trying to do them all at once like a one man band.

But you are right done of the loops do have fingerstyle loops in them as one of my favourite loops (peaches – Justin beiber) I play a really basic chord progression and then the rest of it (at the start) is all fingerstyle.

I do find fingerstyle to be more challenging and my biggest fear is currently someone handing me a Uke and saying โ€œplay something..โ€ and Iโ€™d have to say โ€ฆ โ€œHave you got a looper ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚โ€

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Oh this seems like a good moment for me to jump on that looper, then! Thanks for pointing that out!

Does that one… have a pedal? Maybe I didn’t look closely enough or I’m missing something. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Oh that’s interesting… I didn’t think about that, how with a looper you’re breaking down the music into minute parts. That’s kind of awesome though because then you get especially good at those specific things. But I see what you mean. Then when you’re asked to put it together it’s not what you’re used to anymore. That’s kind of like if someone asked me to strum a tune I’d be like… ๐Ÿฅบ Well, if anyone asked me to play anything. ๐Ÿ˜ฃ๐Ÿ˜…

It’s good that you map out your goals like that and note all your progress. Maybe I should do the same. ๐Ÿ˜Š

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb When looking for pedals there are basically two styles (from what I’ve seen). There are pedals which look like pedals and then there are mini pedals. The mini pedals have that little metal button/knob which looks like if you put your foot on it, it will impale you but it’s surprisingly efficient.

You can actually get a pedal to plug into the mini pedals via USB but I think the concept behind the mini pedals is that they are compact so take up less space on a pedal board (so by adding a pedal defeats the object). The Lekato Loop Pedal is a mini pedal so you just stomp the metal knob/button/thingy like a pedal.

I’m definitely committed to the looping life ๐Ÿ™‚ But definitely would like to add some complex fingerstyle to my repertoire (not that I have a repertoire haha).

I listened to Natalie’s (sorry if I have your name wrong) version of Carless Whisper and it was insane.

That’s super clean with a mellow twist. It sounds simple but to be able to play that in one take without making a mistake is crazy difficult. Definitely my goal ๐Ÿ™‚

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, oh, okay, that makes way more sense, lol. I thought part of the point was that you could operate the looper with your foot, even though I may not do that still because………… Well, it’s too much to explain why. ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚ It’s good to know it has that ability though. I think the mini would be good for me starting for sure and I should just go for it. I already have ideas for what I want to try. ๐Ÿ˜Š

That is really impressive! To play through any song that long (or really any length…) without making a mistake is so impressive. That’s always my goal but it’s really tricky sometimes. That’s definitely a great song to learn too. It’s got vibes, man. ……. That’s not something anyone cool says…….. ๐Ÿ˜…

Any-way, thanks for the info! Andrew’s arrangement of Toccata and Fugue by Bach is my white whale. See you in eight years once I learn that one! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜…

surferjay
    Participant

Look up โ€œGood Vibesโ€ in the dictionary and they reference that video ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ†’

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, hahaha, you’re not wrong! I more meant me saying the phrase, “it’s got vibes, man” is incongruous because I’m not what you would call “cool.” ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.