Two Years of Uke

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Two Years of Uke

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    surferjay
    Participant

@tbb Not going to lie had to look up incongruous 😂😂😂

“I’m not cool” is exactly what a cool kid would say 🕶👀

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, haha!! Incongruous is one of my favorite words. Off the top of my head it means, “out of place or keeping.”

Actually, this is a great example of why I’m not cool. 😉😅

Haha thanks though! 🤓😎

surferjay
    Participant

You’re in denial, you are cool 😂

Sooo.. this was just something I sent to a friend and thought it maybe relevant to my 2 year progress. Lots of mistakes but it’s an improv and I couldn’t play it all again if I tried 😂😂😂

Forgot to mention the most important part which is the first chord progression (day 1 progress) is the same chords as the rest of the improv. Just played differently.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by surferjay.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by surferjay.
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Oh thank you! 😅

The video is unavailable. 🥺 I bet it was kinda neat though!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, I bought the Lekato looper today! Like five minutes ago. It should get here Wednesday, very excited! I feel a bit guilty for spending the money but I very rarely buy anything for myself anymore (other than food, lol).

Also, sorry if my odd and troubled behavior this month affected you or robinboyd poorly at all–the ramble crew. You may not even think about it but I thought about it a lot. I really, really wanted to meet people who shared a love of ukulele (as Wisconsin seemingly is a dead zone for that), friends if possible, and I hope we are still friends, as it is through the site. I just really enjoyed talking with you both and others (gi_gi_ as well) here and I hope my neuroses haven’t jeopardized it at all.

If you have no idea what I’m talking about, then please carry on. LOL. (Also crying inside)

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb That’s so awesome! It’s a really great buy you will love it and I look forward to hearing some of your loops 👀

Haven’t noticed any odd/troubled behaviour at all.. mind you that’s coming from a guy who looks homeless in his videos 😂😂😂

So, here’s the video again (reposted) I took it down as originally I was joking with a friend about guitar/ukulele players, playing basic chords. I then sent him the video of the same 4 basic chords but played in different positions with scales thrown in. So basically the idea of the vid was to show how you can take 4 basic chords and make them sound more interesting. BUT I think the first bit of the video actually may not be very encouraging to people who have just started learning open chords so I deleted that bit now 🔧

I often feel like I obsessively post so often feel like hmmm am I talking to much haha so haven’t posted much over the last week.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by surferjay.
    gi_gi_
    Participant

@tbb Congrats! How exciting…. You will love the looper. I have that one as well. I used it when I was learning Europa (Carlos Santana). There are a lot of good vids on You tube where I was learning how to play it with the looper and it was fun. I need to get back to it.
    Please rest your thoughts. I doubt anyone thought a thing about anything you posted (does that make sense?) 😂 You are a fresh of breath air and a big asset to this site. It’s nice to have more involvement and that’s mostly because of you.

Great job @surferjay

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, thank you, and thank you kindly for recommending that one! Once I figure it out and get something together I’ll post it here. 😊 I think I’ll have to use my electric ukulele to record it because you need the…………………. Input. Pickup. I had to look it up even though I did know that at one point. 🥺😅 But none of my “comfort ukuleles” have that. I love the electric one though so it should be really neat! Can’t wait to try it! 🙂

Sigh, thank you. I know I worry about small things way too much and get inside my head about things. I also often look homeless because I couldn’t buy new clothes for more than a year, so some of my clothes are literal rags. 🥺 But things are getting a bit better now with money so that’s good.

That is amazing improvisation! It is improvisation? So good! I’ve started actually going through the lessons here and Matt Dahlberg just created a lesson on scales so I’m really hoping to work on that because I’m starting to see how freeing that knowledge / skill could be. Your playing is proof of that too.

Hahaha same! I pretty much had the same thing happen this month where I realized I was getting a little too obsessed and emotionally invested perhaps, but it’s all good as long as you try to balance things out and also go outside sometimes. 😉😅 But I still may be “slightly” too obsessed. 🥺😉

@gi_gi_
    thank you so much for that, that means so dang much! 😊💕😭 I did try to tell myself that no one really even noticed but I’m still glad I said something and really appreciate you saying that. I can’t wait to try the looper! Hopefully I can figure out how to do some of the things I want to do! Do you have a link to those videos? I’d love to see them! Thank you again so much for the kind words! Everyone here is so lovely and generous that I’ve talked with including you. 😊

I should also say that Andrew and Matt and co. helped me a lot when I literally wanted to give up this month, because of the issues I was having. So, I appreciate everyone here so dang much. 🙂

Okay, that’s all! 😅

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Also, apologies for my use of smilies as punctuation……. The texts my sister and I send to each other usually include about 15 – 20 smilies each, so it’s a habit. 😅🥺🧡🎃

gi_gi_
    Participant

@TBB I’m gonna try to place a link here. It shows both the rhythm and solo parts. When using the looper you record yourself playing the rhythm part. Then you press play and play the solo part on top in real time. It’s pretty cool.

gi_gi_
    Participant

@tbb Ukulele Wales has a good You Tube Channel that explains how to use the Looper pedal, etc. she even has a great vid on how to make a mini pedal board for ukes. It’s great. You dont need a whole board though. The looper is great on its own.

gi_gi_
    Participant

@tbb Please don’t get overwhelmed with these videos. Check them out when you are ready or if you want to. You can always speed up the video 😂. No pressure at all. Just sending them since you asked. Have fun.

gi_gi_
    Participant

@tbb and you’re quite welcome. Glad you’re on this site.

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb You see everyone ❤️‘s you.

Is it improv. It is… But.. I’m using a certain structure I can use with any chord progression and improvise. This is what I’m doing.

I’m using any chord progression. In this case Am, G, F & E. I finger pick randomly a chord then play the A minor scale. That’s the first bit.

Then I just go higher up the neck and play the same chords in a different position and fill in the spaces with the A minor scale.

There were a couple of variations. I played A harmonic minor where you change a note of the scale to make it sound more Flamenco (I messed that bit up). And I transitioned between the open chords and the inversions of the chords (higher up ones) by picking the notes of C Major (arpeggio).

But basically take any chord progression pluck any chord 4 times then play a scale and that’s it.

robinboyd
    Participant

@tbb – Oh, I just noticed that you worried that your behavior “affected my poorly” or something. Not at all! Don’t stress! Like Jay said, everyone ❤️‘s you!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.