Vibrations from central Pennsylvania

Home Page Forums Introduce Yourself Vibrations from central Pennsylvania

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cstiber

I just joined PREMIUM, earlier today! I’m glad I did as I’m already seeing improvements in my composure. My name is Cody and I turn 30 soon. This is my first go at anything with what I consider heavy substance regarding music. I’ve always wanted to play an instrument and was taken aback by the ukulele just a few years or so ago before I started (3 years playing by now?) There is absolute beauty in how something seemingly so simple can be refined into something with such depth. It’s perfect to me. Though I don’t have the experience I desire (I should have made the plunge many years ago) I am constantly inspired, challenged and ready. Anywho.. this is the only forum or media that I entertain and I look to making it a large part of my life. Right now I rock a Kala Ziricote concert that I’ve since installed new buttons, leather straps. Black Nylon strings with Red Series low G (would love opinions, as the low G seems to overpower everything else) and I enjoyed fabricating a fine set of buffalo horn nut and saddle to which I’d love to provide that service to others, the sound is so nice compared to the Nubone. Anywhooo.. want to soak up the knowledge and make friends. Rockclass101 has an outstanding crew and I look forward to being amongst the community. My best wishes!

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Cody.

Welcome!

I thought I would answer your question about the low G string because I’ve tried a few. Unfortunately for you, having tried Aquila Wound, Aquila Red, Fremont Soloist, and PHD Fluorocarbon, the Aquila Red is by far the least overpowering of the bunch. At this point, there are 2 things you can try. 1) replace the other 3 strings with something a bit punchier (fluorocarbon might do the job). 2) adjust your strumming action to de-emphasise the G string.

Anyway, good luck and have fun playing with it.

FWIW, I like the Fremont Soloist wound low G. It is more overpowering than the Red, but it has a beautiful chimey sound that works well for fingerpicking.

Robin

cstiber

Awesome! My question is, will the ukulele model accept a wound sting well? So far I’ve accepted the fact that I may have to adapt my play style to my strings. I’d love to do that and have done so, but it feels… unique, which I have done so far and think it will make me happy, but it is challenging. Is a soft thumb common? Or is more consistent strings more common?…… anywhooooo I love the look of black and red, second kind of cool. Maybe adjust pressure is best for me. Or… I may be limiting my potential. My goal is relevant to bringing joy to all who are willing to listen.

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Cody.

1) Your ukulele should work fine with wound strings. Ukuleles are more likely to need modifications with unwound strings than they are with wound strings. Remember that wound strings are not metal strings. They are nylon/fluorocarbon strings that have been wound with a soft metal wire. They do not have the same issues with hardness and tension as steel strings. Having said all that, though, having a wound low G string will not help with your issue. Like I said above, the Red string you have at the moment is probably the least overwhelming string you can get. I happen to like the Fremont string, but other people may prefer other options.

2) Different people use different amounts of technique and string variation to achieve the sound that they are looking for. I’d just have a play with it and find what works for you.

3) There are other black or blackish strings that you could try. Some that come to mind are Fremont Blacklines, Aquila Lava, and Martin Polygut. Again, try a few and see what you like.

cstiber

Okay, I will try out some different combos then. I appreciate all of the knowledge that helps a lot.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Welcome, Cody! Glad to have you on-board 🙂

jahobeah

Hi Cody!
    super beautiful your ukulele !!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.