What are y'all working on?

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons What are y'all working on?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

Just checking in. What’s on your practice list right now?

I’m trying to clean up When I’m 64, while also learning the new Waltz in c, Etude 18, and Jurassic Park. So many great new songs lately.

kanae926
    Participant

I wish I had the capacity to work on more than one song at a time. Alas, I’m still trying to clean up When I’m 64. I have a couple mediocre takes I could pick from to submit for the challenge, but I’m really not happy with it. I feel like I should be showing more progress after 11 months in RC101.

It probably doesn’t help that I switched to using my tenor after restringing from low G to high G. The span width difference is an added challenge I probably could have done without.

lisadmh
    Participant

Switching from soprano to tenor on a song totally messes me up too. Tenor is low G for me, so I play different songs on it and don’t switch for a single song.

For what it’s worth, the Waltz is super easy except for that one last note. Grrr, there’s always one, thank you Andrew! Lol. And the rest of them I’m playing poorly. 😁

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by lisadmh.
    robinboyd
    Participant

Trying to find time to practice Because with Tiffany. I have the ukulele part down as well as my part of the harmony but we haven’t been able to put the harmonies together yet.

Learning Jenny of Oldstones (not RC101) on the guitarlele. I have been meaning to try a few more things with the guitarlele and this is a great opportunity. It’s really hard trying to play with 2 extra strings, but Matt’s 2 recent live lessons have helped.

Started fiddling with Better Together. I like this song.

I really want to try Zelda’s Lullaby at some point, but I haven’t got around to it yet.

Trying to keep Moon memorised and playable. I think I’m managing it. I’m really proud of what I managed with that one and I don’t want to lose it.

kanae926
    Participant

Robin, I’d love to see you on the guitarlele some time. That sounds cool! Post something in Showcase Your Playing when you have a song!

lisadmh
    Participant

I second that. I’m so intrigued by the guitarlele!

robinboyd
    Participant

I’ve already got one vid. Just posted it. Enjoy!

becky7777
    Participant

Mainly just working on If I Fell now. (Almost out of time actually so I kind of have to get on that now.)

Still doing exercise type things but they’re not exactly songs and probably not what you meant by “practice list”. 😁 (but it’s stuff definitely on mine lol) I was also tasked to learn the basic chords in the key of G all over the fretboard, I started in on the jamming coarse finally, it’s making me go back and learn stuff I skipped or learned kind of half-baked… (Censored for family lol)

Working on, or stuck on, a handful of songs still too. I REALLY need to focus on my left hand stuff for a few months now moving forward. So yeah got a lot on my practice plate.

Fun topic though!

planetfink
    Participant

I’ve been working on Stand By Me. I spent all my time last month working on In My Life. I couldn’t tackle two really hard tunes at once. I’m also working on a non Rockclass101 arrangement of Here Comes The Sun. It’s from a book of Beatles tunes arranged for ukulele I bought a few years ago and realized it was way above my ability. It’s cool I can now play some of these tunes.

marni11

I’ve been working on “When I’m sixy four”, and just still playing all the songs I know, and trying to memorize them! I’ve finally finshed, Johnny B. Goode! I’m so excited! 😀 I have it memorized and up to speed! Anyone else know it?

miztaken
    Participant

I am working on “Here Comes the Sun” – it is slow, and awful, and doesn’t sound like music… yet.
    Also on Canon in C (NOT RC101), and a different version from a dodgy site which sent me all over the world when trying to get the tab (that would have mean malware & viruses galore), so I turned screen shots into score & tabs. Quite proud of myself for that.
    Still working on Brahm’s Lullaby (have the C maj version down well, just working on improving the RC101 version because it really is prettier). But at least I have something ready for my non-existent grandchildren.
    Chopsticks – I can finally count and keep in time with the middle section. I could play it well enough, but my fabulous (other) music teacher is making me COUNT to learn correct timing. So I have had to go back to the beginning for a few things.
    And Bouree… still slow and awkward but getting recognisable.
    AND… Heart and Soul. What a bugger that is!

lisadmh
    Participant

Wow, lots of great songs on your lists.

Jonny B Good would be awesome. Can we hear it when you’re done marni?

I really should do more exercises Becky. That counts for sure. I’m sort of doing exercises with Bb/a shape around the neck. I’m not great at that shape and need more flex.

Planetfink, good job at getting to that elusive book. I’ve got a few of them. I’ll get there some day.

Miztaken, do you have a live uke teacher too? I’ve been tempted but I don’t know what I would ask. This place does all I know. What do you do in live lessons? Is it worth it?

jinajupiter
    Participant

I am trying to learn how to improvise. In Em pentatonic and C MAJ in all positions. I use backing tracks that I find on You Tube. Andrew said that if I master one scale type I know them in all keys, just shift to the corresponding key. I promised myself that if I can play at least a blues I will treat myself on a electric solid body uke and with guitar effects.

recdog
    Participant

I’ve worked out a bunch of things and committed them to memory. Now I’m juggling them all so that I can keep them at performance level and don’t choke as the nerves attempt to sabotage me while playing for people. For some it has helped to be able to play the piece starting near the end or 1/2 way through. Some of the ones that I like to play and require almost daily attention are.
    “I Will” – UkuLenny tab
    “Always with Me” – Corey Fujumoto tab (this took me by far the longest to memorize but was worth it)
    “Still Can’t Say Goodbye” – Corey Fujumoto tab (Chet Atkins piece)
    “Moon” – Evans tab
    “Clair de Lune” – From a new book “Romantic Ukulele”, I adapted to low G
    “Hallelujah” – Kimo Hussey tab
    -Ron

becky7777
    Participant

Recdog- (Ron)

Corey was actually the tipping point responsible for me understanding Andrew wanted us to “go there” with feeling/accents/dynamics/vibe. One of their reviews where Corey was guzzling whatever alcohol in the beginning they were giving him a hard time about drinking it all in. At one point he was cycling through songs quickly and it all clicked for me. This probably doesn’t make sense to anyone, but it was an exciting breakthrough for a lot of things for me.

Not sure why I shared that, but there it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.