Why do I need a Bari-bass ukulele?

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Why do I need a Bari-bass ukulele?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

Convince me or not. Thanks.

becky7777
    Participant

I don’t think anyone can convince you if you want something.

If i’m stuck deciding over an impulse-buy type of thing, I buy it or not depending if I just can’t let it go in my mind.

I have no idea how big a Ubass is. A bari fretboard is going to be bigger than your concert, by quite a bit maybe.

I finished getting that tiny childrens acoustic guitar I found cheap, cleaned up and mostly playable the other day. I think it’s close to baritone uke size. The frets are bigger than the tenor. (I know they are two different creatures but if you aren’t comfortable with your stretch chords just a mm can suck to reach.) That brings up another thing. The bari is going to be in a different tuning. Which isn’t bad but it’s more work.

LOL! I’m drinking my coffee and babbling. I’ll stop now. Hope you have a good morning Ricky! 😁

lisadmh
    Participant

Has ukulele acquisition syndrome hit, Rickey?

Ubass and bari are not on my list, as the tuning is different, so fingering is different, and I’ve got enough on my hands as it is learning the regular stuff. I am hankering for a 5 string though, with both high and low G. There’s always something!

robinboyd
    Participant

Well, would a baritone or a ubass allow you to do something that you can’t currently do? If the answer’s yes, then go for it. If it’s no, then I would hesitate. Here my reasoning for not having got either.

Baritone: It might have a few extra frets, but there isn’t much that I could play on a baritone that I can’t play on my tenor. Sure, it would be fun to experiment with a different tuning, but that’s about it, so it’s probably not worth spending extra money. (FWIW, I currently have my tenor tuned to Bb, so I’ve been experimenting with different tuning anyway)

Ubass: This would obviously allow me to do things that I couldn’t otherwise do, but the problem is that any sort of bass is usually an accompaniment for a guitar or uke, and I don’t like to play with others very much, so I wouldn’t get a lot out of it.

rickeymike
    Participant

Lisa, haha, um, maybe.

Robin, very good advice. I was under the impression that the baritone had a much different sound similar to an acoustic guitar. I don’t have a tenor. Does the tenor sound much different than the concert?

mfaske
    Participant

Rickeymike – Are you talking about the Luna Bari-Bass, specifically? As I understand it, this is pretty much the same thing as the Kala U-Bass, right? If that’s what you’re looking at, it’s a completely different animal than any ukulele, and learning to play one is more like learning to play a bass guitar. If this is something that interests you, and you think you would enjoy learning to play it, and the money is not an issue, then I say go for it! I’ve been wanting a U-Bass for years… but I don’t have the time to learn something new right now (learning the uke is keeping me plenty busy). Plus, I think my next purchase should go towards a really nice ukulele. But I still think it would be fun to have a U-Bass (or Bari-Bass) sitting around to play with when I feel like mixing things up.

Let us know what you decide to do. If you get it, I want to see lots of videos showcasing your progress.

becky7777
    Participant

Tenor sounds the same as a concert to me. The tenors have less frets but the frets are a better size to jam my fingers in. I don’t have sausage fingers but it’s more comfortable when a bunch of fingers are close together to me. Brett plays his baritone most challenges for a sound check.

Wish I knew how to put a picture on here.

rickeymike
    Participant

mfaskke, I had my terminology wrong. At this stage, I was looking at a baritone ukulele. Definitely not ready for a ubass.

Becky, I thought the progression in size was, soprano, concert, tenor, baritone. But you say the tenor has less frets?
    For posting a pic or any file, use the “Attachments” and hit Browse to find the file/pic that you want attached to your post.

mfaske
    Participant

You are correct in the progression of size: Soprano, Concert, Tenor and Baritone.
    Tenor has less frets than a Baritone, but should be the same number of frets as the Concert –
    Concert: full length of 23 inches, scale length of 15 inches, and between 15-20 frets.
    Tenor: full length of 26 inches, scale length of 17 inches, and between 15-20 frets.
    Baritone: full length of 30 inches, scale length of 19 inches, and at least 19 frets.
    I have noticed that different makes and models vary on where on the fretboard the neck meets the body.

Tenors have longer necks than the concert, and the frets are spaced out more. I don’t know how difficult it is to bounce back and forth between sizes.

One of the big things to consider that I can see is that Baritone ukuleles are tuned DGBE, like the last 4 strings of an acoustic guitar, so unless I’m mistaken, the uke tutorials here on RockClass101 will not directly translate. Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.

lisadmh
    Participant

I think it just comes out in a different key on a baritone but the song still works? Andrew?

rickeymike
    Participant

Boy o boy! Did I open up a can of worms. LOL Now my head is swimming. Maybe we could have a live lesson on that sometime.

lisadmh
    Participant

Rickey, check out this video. Eventually it gets to baritone

rickeymike
    Participant

Good vid. The baritone is now a NO. Tenor sounds interesting. A specific example of what I’m looking for: Check out my arrangement of Romeo & Juliet Love Theme. There is one instance where I hit the 8th fret. I wanted it to really ring out and sustain but it doesn’t, maybe my technique. So I wonder if the tenor would be better suited for playing above the 5th fret.

miztaken
    Participant

@rickeymike – all my playing ukes have had a really good set up done by a luthier to the way I play, and all ring out well through out the full neck. I have concert preferably for playing, but also tenor and soprano. And they all sound good within the individual limitations of the instrument.
    Either: it is your technique
    Or probably more likely: your set up is not done to your playing method/style.

On a couple of my ukes, the luthier could play it beautifully everywhere – many years experience, he could make music from a rubber band on a stick!
    But I could not get good harmonics on the 12th fret, and on my eucalele I could not get consistent clear sound going down the A string, so he just made small adjustments and fixed the issues for ME.

You need a LUTHIER with years of experience to do a really good set up to your requirements.
    Shops only do a standard set up for their instruments, they cannot invest the time to personalise every uke (unless it is a high-end, custom instrument of course).

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by miztaken.
    rickeymike
    Participant

Thanks Miz, I have a really good Luthier in my area. He is so popular that he has 2 week waiting list for set ups. I’d have to do one at a time (soprano & concert is all I have). Need to get on the “ball” and do it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.