Why do I need a Bari-bass ukulele?

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Why do I need a Bari-bass ukulele?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    miztaken
    Participant

Sounds like it is time to book them in, especially as you are now noticing issues. That is a good thing – shows that you are growing in your musicality.

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Ricky,

Sorry I’ve been away for a while. I’ve been run off my feet with tour guide work.

Anyway, it looks like people have given good answers to most of your questions. I’ll just add the following points.

1) There is no set number of frets for each size. They all differ from brand to brand, so you should look at the specifics of the model that you are buying. For example, I have 2 concerts and one has 14 frets, while the other has 15. My tenor has 18 frets. The thing that stays fairly consistent for each size is the distance between the nut and the bridge.

2) Buying a tenor may or may not help you playing up the neck. It might be your technique and it might be the set up, but I really have no idea unless I try to play your ukes. FWIW, I can get Tiffany’s soprano to sound pretty good up to the 12th fret. I’m struggling a bit to get my tenor to sound good at the 17th fret, though.

rickeymike
    Participant

Hey Robin, thanks. Like I’ve told my complaining buddys in the past: It isn’t the tennis racket, it’s you……. It isn’t the golf club, it’s you. So my best bet is It isn’t my ukulele, it’s me!

lisadmh
    Participant

Matt has a good video on sustain. Google sustain ukulele and look for his face on the video.

Edit. Here it is!

Edit 2: His what NOT to do example sounds just like my playing, lol.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by lisadmh.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by lisadmh.
    becky7777
    Participant

Ricky- ty for the help with the picture stuff. I was going to toss my instruments in the grass and shoot the size difference with a yardstick. Still can if you want me to.

It would show the fret sizes at least. Sounds like you need a good set up on what you got though and you’d be happier.

kanae926
    Participant

Here’s another episode of Matt’s UU Webcam Sessions I found useful last year…I still find myself cutting notes short, but this video helped a lot in understanding what I was doing wrong.

robinboyd
    Participant

@rickeymike – I didn’t say that. It could be the racket (uke) for all I know. The trouble is I don’t know. In any case, I dare you to play Zelda’s Lullaby on your soprano 😛

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by robinboyd.
    becky7777
    Participant

Lol robin, sounds like it goes above what I can play on my tenor too. 😀

I will probably regret this, but I think I may skip the proper challenge and keep going with Spanish Ukulele and (don’t make fun of me..) Fear Not This Night… An arrangement of a Jeremy Soule song probably shouldn’t be a “first” whole song to play, but it was BY FAR the easiest song I had downloaded tabs for, and it sounded easy enough. It’s not really, but it’s using skills I uke’d hard for… So I think I can do it. (Then again half the stuff I listen to I go “I can totally do that!” … I know I can’t, I have no idea why I think that lol.) Anyway, maybe I’ll change my mind but I have my hands full atm. Only have theme 1&2 memorized on spanish uke, and I got the intro of FNTN sounding decent. S#$& gets real now that the song is starting, so i’m not sure how far I’ll get on that since theres no freaking chord diagrams. (lol, but I’m serious, they or names would help a ton. All I know is it’s a bunch of bar chords from the video. I don’t know how to figure them out from the assorted notes on the tab so my fingerings are interesting.)

Anyway ricky let me know if you want that picture. Looks like it will shape up to be a great day for it as soon as there’s some shade. Maybe I could snap some extra so I have a better picture for my soundcloud stuff.

rickeymike
    Participant

Becky- You’re right, I should treat myself to a professional set up. Maybe a good time for the concert since I’ll be working with the low G soprano this month. Then I can get the soprano done next month. Post the pic for practice but look at Lisa’s video post….a nice visual description of each size.

Robin, ha. In general I’m speaking of the guys, and I’m sure you must know at least one, that are always getting newer and more expensive equipment because they blame the previous equipment for their poor play. But odds are that the instrument is at least partially to blame……”Get thee to a Luthier”.
    30 years ago I would be up all night most nights playing the original Zelda. I could never get to the end and I’ve heard that “lullaby” so much, I don’t want to play it. ha.

becky7777
    Participant

Eh, I suppose at the very least I have a picture of my instrument collection. I forgot the TT was the size of a concert with a tenor neck fret size so it”s the same “size” as the evil flesh eating concert uke in the picture. That tiny little guitar I think is closer to baritone size??

Let’s see if throwing up a picture works….

Edited to add: Oh my goodness I spent hours before trying to do that and never succeeded, AND I wanted to throw my computer at the wall…. and it literally took 20 seconds to actually do… I swear I’m an idiot. And my poor soprano looks like It’s on fire or something lmao. TY ricky you don’t know how much frustration you just removed from my life in the future

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by becky7777.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by becky7777.
    planetfink
    Participant

Here’s my collection (definitely a bit of UAS). Baritone, low G tenor, high G tenor, super concert (concert body, tenor neck) and two sopranos. The last one is for my grandkids. And the other soprano I won at a ukulele camp.

kanae926
    Participant

You forgot your boxy uke, @planetfink (one in your profile pic). What size is that one?

I have a bit of UAS myself (one tenor, three concerts – one of which is low G, and three sopranos). 😬

My favorite is a concert, but the tenor is not far behind even though it requires a bit more reach.

johanna2509
    Participant

@becky7777 Where did you get the tabs for Fear Not This Night? I love that song, I learned the beginning on the piano a few years ago, but then some parts got so difficult haha. Maybe I should give it another try on the ukulele!

robinboyd
    Participant

Well, since everyone else is showing their collection, here is ours. We have 5 ukes between 2 of us, which means 2.5 ukes each. That’s not UAS, right? Anyway, from left to right – high G soprano, high G concert, low G concert, low G tenor, guitalele. The high g concert is by far our most expensive, best sounding, and easiest to play uke. I should also mentioned that the tenor is currently tuned FBbDG just for fun.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by robinboyd.
    miztaken
    Participant

…perhaps we should have an “UKULELE ACQUISITION SYNDROME” file in the Uke Talk section, and all these pics can go there. ;D ;D ;D

I have #10 coming for my birthday at the end of the month because…. if Beloved Husband is practising in the dungeon with me, I cannot concentrate. So #10 is an Eddy Finn, high g, bamboo concert with pick up so that I can plug in, add headphones and cannot hear Beloved Husband.

And no… WE don’t think I have a problem 😀 😀 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.