Why do I need a Bari-bass ukulele?

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Why do I need a Bari-bass ukulele?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    becky7777
    Participant

Johanna- It’s the tabs from this guy. It’s on guitar not uke. Sadly I don’t have the slightest clue if it’s uke-able. I wish it were lol. My uke would make this sound so much more amazing then the tiny guitar….. And yeah It may be I just get the beginning too. If I can get past this “chord swell”? after the intro where he keeps adding notes and the volume, I think it will be achievable till one other part I’m kind of unsure of.

If you do want me to share them, let me know what the nike symbol means on the tabs. I’m completely clueless what it could mean.

His website “can’t be reached” now though- whatever that means, so I’d need to put the tabs on google docs if you want them. They were downloadable on blogger, I doubt I’d be breaking any laws by sharing.
    ———

Ohhhh! Wasn’t expect to see everyone’s collections. 😁 kanae, your flight uke is gorgeous.

Planetfink yeah, your bari looks to be about the same size as that old mini guitar I found. I’m basing it off the neck length?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by becky7777.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by becky7777. Reason: Having issues
    becky7777
    Participant

Johanna- It’s the tabs from this guy. It’s on guitar not uke. Sadly I don’t have the slightest clue if it’s uke-able. I wish it were lol. My uke would make this sound so much more amazing then the tiny guitar….. And yeah It may be I just get the beginning too. If I can get past this “chord swell”? after the intro where he keeps adding notes and the volume, I think it will be achievable till one other part I’m kind of unsure of.

If you do want me to share them, let me know what the nike symbol means on the tabs. I’m completely clueless what it could mean.

His website “can’t be reached” now though- whatever that means, so I’d need to put the tabs on google docs if you want them. They were downloadable on blogger, I doubt I’d be breaking any laws by sharing.
    ———

Ohhhh! Wasn’t expect to see everyone’s collections. 😁 kanae, your flight uke is gorgeous.

Planetfink yeah, your bari looks to be about the same size as that old mini guitar I found. I’m basing it off the neck length?

Miz- Awesome! I told you you need 10 lol. Now you can stop. 😁

rickeymike
    Participant

OMG, Gang! I think my UAS will start with acquisition of a Tenor. Until then I’m pulling up the rear. haha. Fun and interesting to see all the ukuleles you guys have acquired. Now to keep a log of minutes played per Uke per day.

robinboyd
    Participant

That guitar version sounds awesome. It would be great if you could post the tab on google docs. I could have a look at the Nike swoops for you and also see if I think this is doable on the uke. It looks like he is playing the melody on the upper strings, so you might be able to pull it off on the uke and just lose a bit of the harmony.

Also, listening to that Youtube Video led me to this guy, who has posted all his tabs on Google Docs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/IkuinenOnni/videos
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52TdvJ24TU6bzJaajBNdWlRSEE

becky7777
    Participant

I need to check that guy’s tabs against mine but I think his are probably the same. He says his performance is trying to play Daniel A’s tabs. I’ll fling them up on docs anyway.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M1JrQxt4F9IpICeQYML_RsMXsrnywJha

But if you figure out what that nike symbol is let me know. (Bar 25. it’s weird. The other gods eye symbol has a harmonic so no clue) I don’t know what the God’s Eye symbol means either but drew uses that one on his tabs so I should be able to figure out that one hopefully.

Ricky if it makes you feel better, The regular guitar is unplayable as is flesh eating uke. It’s the Isle of Misfit Instruments half of my collection. 😁

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by becky7777. Reason: Replied rather than making another post... Sorry for the partial chat hijack of your thread ricky
    robinboyd
    Participant

Oh yeah, the tab is exactly the same.

I see the symbols in bar 25. I’m not sure what they mean, but he seems to have a really light touch when he plays those notes….

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by robinboyd.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by robinboyd.
    robinboyd
    Participant

I just found a definition of the gods eye symbol on Wiktionary. Here it is:

Fermata (Pause)
    An indefinitely-sustained note or chord. Usually appears over all parts at the same metrical location in a piece, to show a halt in tempo. It can be placed above or below the note.

kanae926
    Participant

I only need three – my tenor and low G/high G concerts. I definitely need to downsize my number from seven to maybe four (at-most five). I do like that Flight travel uke…it’s unique. And if I can get my Islander soprano set up, it’ll be golden. I just don’t know a good luthier from an “okay” one in my area.

I’ve been wanting to give away my Bondi concert and Kala soprano to someone who will play them. It’s been over a year since I’ve played either one. Sad ukes. 😢

kanae926
    Participant

I learned that symbol as the birdseye but it’s formally called a fermata to “indicate the note should be prolonged beyond the duration its value would normally indicate. Exactly how much longer it’s held is up to the discretion of the performer or conductor, but twice as long is common. It’s usually printed above but can be occasionally below (when it is upside down) the note to be extended.”

Or what Robin said, lol.

becky7777
    Participant

Good to know I pause dramatically at the Nike symbol!! 😉 ty both btw. I’m tired and this is a lot funnier than it should be.

I first saw the Birds eye/ fermata symbol on native american jewelry and the artist told me Gods Eye. Interesting it’s used and named at least three times actually…. That’s a nice interesting rabbit hole of completely pointless research for when I can’t sleep….

As for finding a good luthier, if you have some guys you know of, go in and talk to them. Look at stuff they set up and see if you’re all good with whatever you want done. You just have to be happy with how playable it is. Miz’s guy even tweaks stuff for her so she’s completely happy. You might get lucky your and setup guy is nice like hers. (I’d be 1000x more cautious on finding structure repair guys if something awful happened and my tt was broken somehow. That’s where knowing a good guy is important imo. Affording the good guy would probably be scary too lol.) Most luthiers should have a heaping ton of set ups under their belt though.

johanna2509
    Participant

Thanks for sharing the tabs, the acoustic version sounds beautiful. I have no idea how to start transcribing it to uke tabs… The last time I tried that, I had problems fitting all those high and low notes into the small range of the ukulele. But I think it’s not impossible.
    Also, I never saw that strange nike symbol 😀

robinboyd
    Participant

You could always get a guitalele. I didn’t know if I’d ever learn to play mine, but it’s actually been really handy for things like this.

robinboyd
    Participant

Hey @becky7777 – What is your flesh eater uke? It looks like a Pono with a pickup, but it’s hard to see from the photo.

becky7777
    Participant

Robin- Naw, it’s just a $40 concert size kmise from Amazon. I did play a Pono at Hix Bros. The first one I saw and asked about was the most expensive uke in their store at the time. He handed it to me told me the price. I handed it right back without playing it. lol. The Pono’s sounded great but I wasn’t crazy about their neck shape. The one I played was V shaped. I like flat necks. They feel right. Collection is the unwanted cheap guitar that hung in our local shop coated in thick dust I bought because it was a Charlie Brown xmas tree guitar no one wanted, the mini guitar, TT, kmise concert, and diamondhead soprano.

Johanna- Your welcome. No one knows what that weird Nike symbol means. TY for looking.

Since no one knows, it means I can make it mean whatever I want. 😁 (I’m still finding way too much humor in this just because it’s a held pause emphasizing whatever it is, for however long I want technically… ROFL!)

I officially name it the “Just (censored) Play It” symbol. – With the appropriate censored word replacing the (censored) place marker.

Ok, I have no idea what that thing really means. It’s totally mine now though. I officially claim that symbol as belonging to me. (If famous weirdos can do it, I can too. The (Taped logo to avoid copyright infringement) Guitar Mafia has my back… They mingle secretly among the Ukulele Underground.) 😂

I need more coffee lmao.
    Symbol is seriously mine.

kanae926
    Participant

This seemed appropriate for this thread. I’m just going to leave it right here.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.