Ask Me ANY Ukulele Question for Chance to WIN a Kala Uke

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Ask Me ANY Ukulele Question for Chance to WIN a Kala Uke

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Rock Class 101 Community!

We are giving away a Kala Ukulele to celebrate crossing 10k subscribers on YouTube! This giveaway will be tied to the introduction of a brand new lesson series on Rock Class 101, which will be called:
    Lightning Round! Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions for this giveaway/lighting round.

Lightning Round: In a Nutshell

1) Ask me ANY Ukulele question. It can be on any ukulele related topic. For example: technique, theory, ukulele brands, etc.

2) Questions should be informative based. Please do not request a song. Questions should be able to be answered in a 15-30 second time frame. This does not mean that you can not ask a complex question. Because, if you ask a complex question, and it’s interesting, I might just make an entire lesson video to answer that question!

3) Lets aim for 25 questions to be answered for our first Lightning Round!

GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:

1. Post your question anytime between Friday, June 2nd till Friday, June 9th, 11:59pm EST.

2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.

3. Feel free to submit more than one question for this lighting round, but only one entry per person will be counted for the giveaway.

4. Have fun and ask me ANY question. There are no dumb questions!

* Note: The lightning round is a fun way for me to interact with you guys! It also presents the opportunity to ask the type of questions you normally would if you were taking 1 on 1 private lessons.

COMMON FAQs:

1) The prize and the lightning round is open to the entire world!

2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate.

3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.

Giveaway Rules:

There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing sometime in July, when the Lightning Round video is released. The winner will be announced in the Lightning Round video. To qualify to win, you must submit your question(s) (on this forum post) by the deadline listed above.

Grand Prize:

1) Kala KA-15S Soprano Ukulele (Retail: $55 USD)

null

Have fun and ask away!

nextterrain
    Participant

How to translate guitar chords to the ukulele?

emma_breed
    Participant

Hello!
    I’ve had this fingerpicking problem for a while…
    When I’m fingerpicking, and I have to move my hand in a short amount of time to another spot (usually far from the spot my hand was in first), the string makes a sound that isn’t completely ¨bad¨, but it also isn’t what I want. It’s like I didn’t hold the string long enough.
    Can that be the problem? ’cause if it is, I don’t know how other people do that!
    Or can it be that my ukulele is too cheep (or old, maybe?) or just the strings are bad or something? I have a Diamond Head DU-250 Satin Mahogany Soprano Ukulele.
    I’m struggeling with this a lot, because I just makes your song sounds weird and… well, like I’m bad at playing ukulele. Which I guess is not true.
    Or do you think it can be that I have pretty small hands?

Anyways, thanks!

Greetz from Emma!

andracass
    Participant

I have three questions: 1. first of all, I would like to have a tip for triplet strum (other teachers are less satisfying); 2. Why a lot of uke player have the right hand open? They play only with the index or there is a technique I don’t understand? 3. How holding the uke while the left thumb change position?

mikkzz
    Participant

What kind Of (i Don’t know how to say this … and I don’t know if you’ll understand this but…) “Wood” that has high quality in an ukulele? Does it sound different depending on what kind Of Wood it is?

olphart

Would you recommend restringing a baritone uke to reentrant GCEA? I do have a background w/ guitar, and I have a baritone, ( I LOVE my bari ), but when playing ukulele tunes on it I find myself inadvertently using uke shapes for the bari chords, usually with unpleasant results. When I use uke shapes or bari shapes for all the chords in a tune, it works fine, just changes the key, but slipping in a C when a G is needed is just wrong. 8^)

ambre_uke92

Hello !
    I was just wondering if it was worth it to buy an electric ukulele (for a professional like you).
    I don’t have one, and I think that it will maybe kill the “ukulele vibe” if you know what I mean !
    (So maybe if you have one you can make a video with, and show me what’s like!)

Thank you, Ambre

122dane122
    Participant

Of the vast number of different woods a ukulele could be made out of what has the lowest tone and which wood had the highest tone. And by tone I mean sound not tone of color.

Keep up the great lessons
    Thanks,Dane

122dane122
    Participant

Do slotted head ukuleles hold there tune better because they are a lot more expensive then non-slotted head ukuleles I was wondering if it was worth it or what the benefit is?
    Thanks, Dane

fedindark
    Participant

Hi, Andrew! How often do I have to change string on uke? And is it cost to self-made low-g on uke by putting string G from guitar to uke? (sorry for my poor English)

122dane122
    Participant

Do side ports or side holes on a ukulele change the amplitude of sound projected out of the typical hole?

Thanks,Dane

eljanthegamer
    Participant

I would ask a few questions to you😁First one. When is the time you should change the strings in the ukulele,should you change it even if it’s still not broken? Second question. What type of wood do you recommend?(ukulele wood) Last question.What ukulele strings do you recommend most?😂 I hope everyone’s having a good day!! good night😘

ed_sanderson
    Participant

The fingers on both hands have trouble with speed and accuracy. I probably don’t practice enough, but how long does it take, generally, to get decent at it?

biggoomba
    Participant

So, I decided to try to do the June challenge and learn the ‘Game of Thrones’.

Right away I am having a problem.

The song starts with
    Open G
    Open C
    3rd fret C
    Hammer on 5th fret C.

The problem I am having is going from open C to 3rd fret often ends up sounding like a hammer on because the open C is still ringing out when I place my finger on the 3rd fret. When I pluck Then It almost sounds like I am hitting it 2 time – it doesn’t sound right to me. It can throw me off a bit to because my brain often tries to interpret it as the played 3rd fret and I end up hammering on the 5th

Am I missing a technique? Do I just practice and try to ignore it/play through it? Should I be trying to mute the string before placing my finger on the 3rd fret? Or do I mute it by placing my finger on the 3rd fret a little less aggressively?

Thanks

spaceukulele
    Participant

Every time I pull the g-string on my ukulele it makes this buzzing sound at the head of the uke. How can I fix that?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • The topic ‘Ask Me ANY Ukulele Question for Chance to WIN a Kala Uke’ is closed to new replies.