Participate in the April 2021 Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Baritone Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2021 Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Baritone Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@johanna2509 – Bravo! Well done. Here’s my feedback for you 🙂

@samash07
    – My pleasure!

@ukandrea
    – Thank you so much for the kind words! And congrats on the progress! I can’t wait to hear you play it 🙂

johanna2509
    Participant

Thank you Andrew for the feedback video! I’ve checked the sheet music and noticed that the rhythm is actually like bars 5 and 6, thanks for pointing it out 🙂

karenj
    Participant

Hi Andrew, It may be a bit of a stretch for me, but I am thinking of giving Tip Toe Through the Tulips a try. I’m wondering if you have any tips for the “mute” strum. With the G chord, it looks like you are looping your thumb over the top of the neck to mute the G string? I can’t quite reach around like that. I need to practice, but I get the concept of lifting pressure a bit with the L hand, but what do you do with the open strings? Or can I just mute with my L pinky across the strings? I welcome any advice. . . .

I am old enough to remember loving Tiny Tim, especially on his somewhat regular guest appearances on Laugh In. I hadn’t realized he was left handed. He was quite a character and worth a youtube search if you aren’t familiar with him.

Thanks,
    Karen

johanna2509
    Participant

Oh sorry I forgot to say that

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Andrew
    Keymaster

Got it, Johanna!

Karen, here is a quick video with tips for you 🙂

karenj
    Participant

Thanks for the tips to help me with the muted strum. Hopefully I’ll make it past the intro by the end of the month! I love the way you (and all of the RC 101 crew) encourage us to keep learning.
    Thanks again.
    Karen

ukandrea
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi Andrew,
    here is my first attempt of the High G Solo on “Beauty and the Beast” for your early feedback.

Far away from perfect but I am really happy with where I stand as one week ago I thought I would never ever be able to play through it at all.
    I will for sure continue practicing to speed it up and get the hard transitions smoother plus don’t mess up with unclean tones – all advice on that and what I don’t see myself highly welcome!

For the final challenge submission – is it ok I stopped in the middle of bar 15 to have a nicer ending?
    Andrea

Andrew
    Keymaster

Bravo, Andrea! It sounds beautiful 🙂

Here’s what I would do: You’ve got quite a few spliced clips. So my main focus would be on playing it as a complete piece. But, I want you to work on only one solo at a time.

When you’re comfortable playing through it, you can start working on touching up the areas you mentioned. And don’t be afraid to slow the tempo down when practicing. I’d increase speed last.

Ending where you did is okay.

ukandrea
    Participant

Thank you, Andrew. I will do so!
    I think this is really a tough one as you cannot hide any mistakes, as everybody will hear immediately any wrong tone or hesitation in finger changing with that famous song. And the melody is so beautiful that it really hurts your own ears when you mess up something especially as the hardest bars (10 and 12) are the most beautiful parts in the melody. So tough, but a good driver for further practice.

And I want to add for others that your advice for bar 12 to keep the middle finger as anchor is really key for success for that difficult chord change. I somehow missed that part in the beginning and always got lost when removing and replacing all fingers. After re-watching the part in the tutorial it’s still a heavy speedy transition, but soooo much easier.

Also adding an additional tip for recording: Previously I could only record in the afternoon due too day light conditions. I now have a ring light which gives me more freedom to choose the time of my recording. In my video above it is night and complete dark, I just put that ring light on.

Happy practicing to everybody!

debb1985

Still haven’t fully decided on what I am going to tackle this month. I have a good start on the high g solo of Beauty and the Beast, but was curious if I did the baritone version if I could add my singing in separately or does it have to be done simultaneously?

Andrew
    Keymaster

I agree, Andrea. It’s very difficult to play. We’re working on 2 more with Evan. One is beyond ridiculous LOL – but, the other isn’t. It actually might be the easiest one he’s ever done for us. AND – it’s super fun to play!

Debb, totally cool with me!

turkgoose
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Hello all!
    Here is my effort on Animal Crossing. I thought it was quite hard to get all the bar chords and timing right. Thank you!

shmu88
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi all, here is my attempt at the Beauty and the Beast for this month’s challenge.
    I must admit i had a hard time trying to get the right sound with all the slides and quick notes going up and down the neck, and the few pull offs, especially at speed!! But even though it’s far from perfect, i doubt that i will get a better clip than this one, so here we go! Thanks

Sam

mr_zarf
    Participant

Hi, I’m a beginner to ukulele but I try my luck with this beautiful Animal Crossing: New Horizons theme. I can imagine that it’s far from perfect but I enjoyed playing this sound. I am keeping my fingers crossed now 😉

(PS : Sorry, if my english is bad, I’m french)

bibilele
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi all,
    here is my attempt at the wonderful Avatar tune. Thank you so much for challenging us with such beautiful songs!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.