Tagged: April Challenge
March 30, 2021 at 12:44 pm #46313
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #49! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a Baritone Ukulele! This model has been revamped for 2021 and retails at $1,400 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 2,300+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 5 Rock Class 101 Lessons:
1) “Avatar: The Last Airbender” Medley * – In this medley, you’ll learn three Japanese-inspired compositions from the beloved television show, “Avatar: The Last Airbender”. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!
2) “Animal Crossing: New Horizons” Theme * – Learn the heartwarming theme to the happiest video game of 2020. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!
3) “Beauty And The Beast” * – In our inaugural lesson for baritone ukulele, you’ll learn an enchanting take on a timeless Disney classic. If you do not have a baritone, fear not, as we’ve added a chord melody interlude that’s played with a High G ukulele. * The Baritone Part is Taught in its Entirety for FREE!
* NOTE: If you choose this song, you can play either the baritone part or the High G part. If you choose the baritone part, you MUST sing and play. You can omit the solo section by ignoring the repeat sign in bar 3 and jumping from bar 24 to 27.
4) “If I Only Had a Brain” from The Wizard of Oz – A lovely song from one of the most iconic films of the 20th century.
5) “Tiptoe Through The Tulips” by Tiny Tim – A fingerstyle take on a song that can’t help but put a smile on your face!
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Avatar: The Last Airbender” OR “Animal Crossing: New Horizons”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Beauty And The Beast”, “If I Only Had a Brain”, OR “Tiptoe Through The Tulips”
3. Participation Goal: 100 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 5 RC101 pieces anytime between Thursday, April 1st till Friday, April 30th, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our April Challenge: Heartwarming Songs
Second Chance: Participate in our May Challenge.
Third Chance: Participate in our June Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On July 4th at 12pm EST, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of April and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
1) $1,400 Grand Prize! Includes:
OUR 5 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!
Select Solid Koa Top
Solid South American Mahogany Back and Sides
Rosewood Finger-Board and Bridge
Pearl Position Dots
Pearl Kanile’a Logo Inlay on Headstock
Kanile’a Geared Tuners w/ Blk Buttons
UV Natural Finish
Made in Hawaii
Other Features: Includes a black hard foam case & L.R. Baggs FIVE.0 pickup
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!March 30, 2021 at 2:17 pm #46314
Great choices of the songs, that’s one really good prize!March 30, 2021 at 3:59 pm #46316isabelmParticipant
Agreed, excellent songs and prize! I think I’ll have enough time this month to learn Beauty and the Beast on baritone, and maybe the chord melody too.March 31, 2021 at 3:05 pm #46338myukemylifeMember
Very nice!!!Just want to learn more songs and get review and tipsMarch 31, 2021 at 10:13 pm #46361misskikaParticipant
I have a question about the Beauty and the Beast challenge. If I have a High-G ukulele, can I sing/play the entire baritone part on my ukulele or do I only need to play and submit the solo part?
Thanks!March 31, 2021 at 10:20 pm #46362
@misskika – If you do the baritone part on high G, the notes on the 4th string will sound off. Do you have a low G? It would work better for that instrument.March 31, 2021 at 11:18 pm #46365kirpuffParticipant
Beauty and the beast?! Oh gosh, I might have to sing now. Apologies in advanceApril 1, 2021 at 1:10 pm #46380
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.
Alright so this is probably too early but at my current level this is the best I can do, I’ve been playing this piece almost every other week for quite awhile now since I LOVE ANIMAL CROSSING. Please Andrew do more video game covers? Thanks :). Would really love some tips on how to do those fret jumps without the pauses.
P.S- Did I say LOVE animal crossing? Video is the proof 😉April 1, 2021 at 5:38 pm #46390misskikaParticipant
I do have a low G! So it’s fine to use that and sing while playing for this submission, is that correct?April 1, 2021 at 7:51 pm #46392April 1, 2021 at 8:07 pm #46393robinboydParticipant
@misskika – Just be aware that you will need to sing in a different key to match your uke.April 2, 2021 at 12:46 pm #46396April 2, 2021 at 12:58 pm #46397ukandreaParticipant
Andrew, your tutorial for Evan’s Solos on Beauty and the Beast is really extremely helpful!
As I first heard the song, I loved it. But I thought I would never be able to play that, especially not until end of April. I tried playing it and immediately hit the wall.
But with a combination of Matt’s advice (“not all or nothing – but always something”) and your advice of trying it bar by bar in small steps, I managed to play bar 1 to middle of bar 5 quite ok on my first day of practice and until bar 8 (full first page) on second day of practice. I did by intend not go further to page 2 yet. Especially your advice on how to set the fingers for the double steps and seeing it as “shape one” and “shape 2” was helping me. With doing so memorizing it came from its own.
My experience is meant to encourage others that also think they will never be able to do this beautiful arrangement.April 2, 2021 at 4:40 pm #46399
Thanks Andrew for the great tip and taking time to record a video, much appreciated.
Your gym-uke analogy was exceptional, this is why I love RC101!
After playing for all these months I’ve realised that I’ve set into my own “comfort” zone and I only aim to learn songs that are within that zone or have a slow tempo, which is definitely causing this “plateau”.
I’ll begin working on the transitions the way you explained, start slow and gradually increase the speed. Thanks again for the tips 🙂
Will check out Matt’s video now.April 3, 2021 at 6:57 am #46402johanna2509Participant
Here is my take on the Animal Crossing New Horizons Theme Song. I’ve learned it right after it came out but had to refresh it since I haven’t played it for a while.
I am also a big fan of the series (not much of the switch game because of the nintendo online thing being quite necessary to progress in the game but that’s another topic) and I would also love more video game music arrangements! It is so much fun to play the tunes from our favourite games 🙂
Thank you Matt for this awesome arrangement. You can learn a lot from it, barre chords, big stretches and jumps…
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.