Participate in the April 2021 Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Baritone Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2021 Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Baritone Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    mac1984
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I’m a little embarrassed to post this performance but I wanted to participate. I just didn’t practice as much as I needed to. Spent a lot of the month learning Come As You Are so hopefully that’s a challenge song soon!

qiuyan
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I didn’t have as much time to practice in the second half of month as compared to the first half, but here’s my take on If I only had a brain. Such a joyful song!

kelsey91
    Participant

I’m still practicing so this is not very good but wanted to participate

kelsey91
    Participant

Here we go… maybe I’ll have more time to practice next month!

omaon4
    Participant

Helga Armfield Prima member

maryjanew
    Participant

Last ditch entry. I am a premium member
    Edit: I got stuck in an error loop on my phone and i couldn’t get out until it was too late.
    Here is my bad video attached correctly:

Also, my only Uke with a high G broke a string so I played the correct notes in a different form on a low G

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by maryjanew.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by maryjanew.
    lisa-k
    Participant

So sorry – I forgot to write
    I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER!

joelnal

I forgot to write that I am a premium member.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 8 that we haven’t gotten to yet.

lakeside339 – Performance sounds great! The only thing I can suggest is to work on boosting the tempo. Keep up the good work 🙂

john316 – Well done! So there’s a few parts where you hesitate or slow down, I’d target my practice on those areas. Use the tab player to loop the phrase, slow it down to a speed you’re comfortable with, and rinse and repeat 😉

seoulkim – Great job on the lead! I’d work on lightening up your picking attack. I talked about that concept in the video below. While it covers a different song, the same principles apply for this tune.

ealtman – Glad to hear you’re getting back into playing, Elizabeth! Sounds great overall! I’d memorize it, so you can focus more so on keeping it steady.

jeng18 – Here is my feedback for you and here is the lesson and course I referenced.

brithor – Sounds great, Bri! I think the way that you’re holding the uke is limiting your ability to play. I’d use a strap or adjust the way you’re holding it as follows:

Here’s a video I made earlier this year to help another member out. Here is the first and second lesson I recommend reviewing.

bemarlie – Sounds great! I’d slow the tempo down to focus on cleaning up your playing and getting some of the rhythms a little bit more accurate, like the triplet strum.

lisa-k – Sounds great! I’d work a little bit on getting a playful vibe – I made this video earlier this month for another member which demos and talks about getting that feel.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 9.

ldarrow – Excellent performance! Great feel and well phrased. Keep up the good work 🙂

morrieuke1 – That was a killer performance, Michael! Swung feel matched to a playful vibe and solid, steady tempo – I’d say you nailed the feel. Well done, I’m impressed!

amalia – Sounds great overall! I’d work a little bit on tightening the rhythms for the second melody. Here’s a video I made earlier this month for another member which should give you some tips on how to tackle this.

dennisdickens – Sounds great overall! I think you have a good base established, but I’d work on getting that playful feel that this song is known for. Here’s a video I made earlier this month which talks about that vibe. And the way I’d go about approaching it is to take one section at a time in the tab player, loop it and try to match my playing as best you can. My playing will act as a guide to help you groove with that feel.

givingtree89 – Well done! The only suggestion I have is to try to keep the second melody a little bit more steady.

joelnal – That KoAloha sounds ridiculously good! Your performance was great overall, Joel! Don’t worry about the nerves, we all get them!

Couple things to point out, work on boosting the tempo for the second melody. A fun way to practice is to play along with Matt in the tab player. Start at a speed you’re comfortable with, then start to boost it by 5 or 10%.

For the third melody, soften your picking attack. Here’s the video I made awhile back which talks about why this is important:

timolnz – Excellent performance overall! The only advice I have is the same I left for @amalia in her feedback post above.

@pika80019
    – Video is set to private. Can you set it to public and email me to let me know that you’ve done that. Or else, I won’t be able to leave feedback or give you an entry for the giveaway.

b_ukes_101 – Well done, Brandon! So I want you to slow the tempo down a little bit and play along with me in the tab player. Try eight bar sections at a time. My playing will act as a guide to help keep you locked in and steady with the groove 🙂

baileysr – Sounds great, John! Double check measure 2, sounds like you omitted the first hit. I’d work on memorizing the piece so you can focus more so on how you’re playing it. Then, I’d loop 4 bar sections at a time in the tab player and play along with Matt. Slow it down to the speed you need, but try to match his playing as best you can. His playing will act as a guide to keep you locked into the groove while keep the tempo steady.

jayton – I’d say it’s very recognizable! Excellent playing, keep up the great work!

iyers408 – Well done, Shankar! I think you’ve got a great base established, so what I would work on is taking 4 bars at a time, loop them and work on increasing speed. Keyword here is: Gradually. Try 5 or 10% faster then where you’re at right now. When you get those four bars down at the faster tempo, do the same with the next four. Then go back and do one through eight. Use this approach instead of trying to tackle the entire piece.

dividedsky – Beautiful playing, Jane! The only suggestion I have is to lighten your picking attack a touch for the second melody. I left a video above in @joelnal ‘s feedback that touches on why this is important.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 10.

mac1984 – “Come As You Are” is on our May Challenge! Hope you join us again this month!

You did a great job on this tune! I think you have a good base established, so I’d work on polishing up sections and boosting tempo. Break the piece down into 4 bars at a time. When you get those mastered with a steady tempo, work on the next 4. Then piece those together, so 1-8. You’ll master the song faster if you break it into sections instead of trying to play everything.

qiuyan – Excellent playing! The only suggestion I have is to work on keeping the tempo a little bit more steady.

@kelsey91
    , @omaon4, @maryjanew – I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you guys submitted past our deadline of 11:59 PM EST. I tried to give everyone a friendly reminder yesterday. But the good news is, there’s still two more months to participate for a chance to win the baritone 🙂

lisa-k
    Participant

@Andrew Thank you so much for the feedback. I didn’t think I was at the stage where I could concentrate on getting a vibe! I’m really pleased that I can now look at doing that! Thank you

Andrew
    Keymaster

Wow! 76 members joined us for this month’s challenge! Stephen and I were BLOWN AWAY by how amazing everyone did! Big round of applause to everyone who participated this month. 🙂

Our May Challenge is LIVE and the theme is Classic Rock. We’re also giving away an EXTRA Custom Painted Uke! I hope each of you join us again.

Below, I will post a list of members who participated in the April challenge for your first chance to win the Kanile’a Ukulele. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

—-

samash07
    samash07
    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    ukandrea
    ukandrea
    turkgoose
    turkgoose
    shmu88
    shmu88
    mr_zarf
    bibilele
    bibilele
    clempek
    clempek
    andrewvh
    andrewvh
    bethany_guardiani
    bethany_guardiani
    stefanic10
    stefanic10
    marlongas
    marlongas
    debb1985
    debb1985
    ukulelee
    ukulelee
    henri0
    henri0
    brettboy
    brettboy
    sylus9
    terryfallon3
    terryfallon3
    kirpuff
    kirpuff
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    jonathan_gabel
    jonathan_gabel
    effortless
    effortless
    malku2603
    joe150
    joe150
    emiliano
    emiliano
    ccwuke
    ccwuke
    marianne
    marianne
    lhamilton
    lhamilton
    katazumiri
    gstriph
    gstriph
    riberbula
    riberbula
    barbecueblack
    barbecueblack
    misterbones
    misterbones
    richard_siegert
    hiloukes
    stianukulele
    stianukulele
    robinl
    wongbrown
    wongbrown
    concan
    concan
    nthibode
    nthibode
    richo_uke
    richo_uke
    ukule_lise
    misskika
    cncamacho
    cncamacho
    mademoiselleannette
    unlegendaryn00b
    unlegendaryn00b
    lbilkie
    lbilkie
    biancak
    biancak
    karenj
    karenj
    lakeside339
    lakeside339
    john316
    john316
    seoulkim
    seoulkim
    ealtman
    ealtman
    jeng18
    jeng18
    brithor
    brithor
    bemarlie
    bemarlie
    lisa-k
    lisa-k
    ldarrow
    ldarrow
    morrieuke1
    morrieuke1
    amalia
    amalia
    dennisdickens
    dennisdickens
    givingtree89
    givingtree89
    joelnal
    joelnal
    timolnz
    timolnz
    b_ukes_101
    b_ukes_101
    baileysr
    baileysr
    jayton
    jayton
    iyers408
    iyers408
    dividedsky
    dividedsky
    mac1984
    mac1984
    qiuyan
    qiuyan

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Andrew. Reason: Updated
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Andrew. Reason: Update #2
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Andrew. Reason: Updated
    joelnal

Thanks Andrew! I really appreciate the feedback and will check out the video you recommended!

Cheers!
    Joel

johanna2509
    Participant

Just a small thing, the number in my username is missing a “9” at the end.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.