Participate in the August 2018 Member Challenge – "Swing Your Rhythm" Themed!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the August 2018 Member Challenge – "Swing Your Rhythm" Themed!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    mweir1
    Participant

Hi Andrew!

Here is my performance for the challenge this month. It is my first ever time taking part in the monthly challenge after sitting on the sideline for a while.

I went for the learn to “swing your rhythm”. Here it is:

Thank you, Mairi.

rickeymike
    Participant

Very, very good, Mairi.

lisadmh
    Participant

I used the picado picking. I was overwhelmed by the concept at first but I think I got it? Excellent exercise for the flamenco song. It’s also cool to be using the more difficult option on a song for once rather than trying to figure out how to simplify them so I can play, lol.

kanae926
    Participant

Not that a new ukulele is going to make me a better player or anything, but I’m going to wait until tomorrow to get my delivery to post a video. πŸ˜‰

I’m hoping that it’ll be easier to play with a pro set up than my beginner ukuleles I got from Amazon. They have high action and some buzzing that I can do without. Although they’ve been okay to learn the basics on, I’m ready to for the real deal! I bought my new one from HMS (The Ukulele Site), so it should come with an AMAZING set up.

I. Cannot. Wait.

Andrew
    Keymaster

That’s awesome Kanni! Did you tell ’em you are with RC101? Andrew (not me, ha) runs HMS, he’s a great guy! I got my Kanile’a from them and they will be setting up and installing the pickup in my low G build Kanile’a too πŸ™‚

kanae926
    Participant

I didn’t tell them I was with RC101 this time, but maybe I’ll drop them a note later when I buy my next one (planning on it being Low G). I love the high quality of their sample videos with every ukulele they carry.

I’M SO EXCITED.

cait23
    Participant

Definitely not as good as some other members or Andrew, but here’s my go for Spongebob Squarepants. Mahalo!!! πŸ™‚

deadbuggy
    Participant

New to RC101 and new to SpongBob. Trying to learn this on my tenor was too much of a stretch for me, so I dug out my soprano. Not only was it easier to play, the tune just seems made for the fun sound of a starter uke. I may not have played EXACTLY as written; I chalk it up to artistic license for a guitar and banjo player trying to learn the ukulele πŸ˜‰ Many thanks, Andrew. This is a great site and I’m having a ball!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by deadbuggy.
    deadbuggy
    Participant

apologies for the double post…I’m an OLD trying to master my new YouTube account!

strizaldo
    Participant

Here’s my submission πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by strizaldo.
    rickeymike
    Participant

I guarantee you that I did much better when the camera was off.

rickeymike
    Participant

uh, oh. Did I repeat bars 9-16 one too many times? Sorry, I must have gotten carried away with the swing.

kayleighb

Was struggling to work out why I was finding spongebob so challenging considering I’ve already done it once, albeit at 50% speed. I’m on a bigger uke so the stretches and fret space is different! So tempted to switch back to my Soprano for this one….!

kanae926
    Participant

I’ve somehow managed to make my lovely new uke sound bad. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š

My body sags a little at the end of the video (LOL). I’m still working on it.

Andrew
    Keymaster

AwesomeStrings, good job! Here is a video with some tips that should help a lot of folks to better tackle the SpongeBob Rhythm – specifically eighth note triplets.

mweir1, Mairi nicely played! You have a clear understanding of the difference between straight verse swung rhythm, well done!

lisadmh, excellent job on the technique! Here’s a little suggestion for relaxing the feel.

cait23, great job! Here are some tips for you πŸ™‚

deadbuggy, really cool changes! 1 tip, if you check out the video I left for awesome strings above, that advice will help you tidy up the rhythm for the outro. But again, I loved it! I always love it when you guys take it and make it your own πŸ™‚

strizaldo, excellent playing! You’ve definitely got this one mastered, well done! I’ll be sharing this in our email tomorrow πŸ™‚

rickeymike, well done! You’ve got the difference in feels down. The only thing I would work on is to eliminate some of the pauses. So key in on those areas for your practicing. Keep up the great work!

kanae926, love the tone of the New uke Kanni! And, I thought you did really well πŸ™‚ I think if you slow down the tempo a little bit, it would allow you to focus more on keeping the flow steady which in turn will help to further differentiate both feels.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.