Participate in the August 2018 Member Challenge – "Swing Your Rhythm" Themed!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the August 2018 Member Challenge – "Swing Your Rhythm" Themed!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew. The pauses are a result of remembering what note comes next. The pause feels like an eternity for me when the camera is on. Ha.

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks Andrew! I’ll try to chill more. I do get rather uptight trying to get things right.

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure guys, glad the feedback was helpful 🙂

yenting
    Participant

yenting
    Participant

Hi, I’m new to this site, it’s great to have a chance to participate this challenge. It’s quite a challenge for me, I tried so many times to get it done without mistakes or hesitation. I played quite slowly trying to lay back as you suggested, it did work–I get it down! Well…it doesn’t sound laid-back at all, but I’m so happy that I finally get it done!!!Thank you, Andrew for your tips and for everything!!!

Andrew
    Keymaster

yenting, great job! Picking form looks excellent! The only tip I can suggest, is to try to smooth out the tempo between the 2 styles, as straight was played much quicker than swung. Keep rocking and thanks for the kind words!

kmelton
    Participant

Here’s my entry for this month. Wish I had more time to practice but it’s been a little tricky lately. Great song to warm up to, was looking for something like this!

kanae926
    Participant

Kevin, is that a KoAloha Opio (KTO-10) tenor? I’ve been drooling over the concert (KCO-10)…I want it so bad! It sounds really good! Keep on rockin’!

vidafntn
    Participant

Hi, Andrew,

Here is my submission for this month’s challenge. Last year, I struggled to learn this tune, but just could not do the hammer ons and pull offs. I still have difficulty playing those notes with good control. The volume is often poor or the notes come out with a nasty twang because I pull the string off of the fret board. It is taking a long time to get this piece up to 80% of recommended speed.

As usual, I am only entering for fun, not to win anything.

Regards,

Vida

rickeymike
    Participant

Very nice, Kevin and Vida!

kmelton
    Participant

Thanks guys!

Kanae926, yup, you got it! Got it from Uke Republic a couple of months ago. Having a blast with it; the professional set up made a world of difference. I actually think the recording sounds a bit harsh, but I think part of that has to do with my phone’s speaker. Tried the concert out while I was there, sounds great too. Love the look of those orange friction tuners!

zukulele

Here is my August entry:

Andrew
    Keymaster

kmelton, well played Kevin! Give the picado technique a shot, it’s a really efficient way to pick. I’m glad you mentioned using this as a warm-up. I’ve been meaning to write a lesson with a few exercises and this was a friendly reminder to actually get around to doing it 🙂

Vida, great job! I really enjoy watching your videos because I continually hear you improve! Here’s one area I will want you to watch out for with that song, and it’s cutting the quarter notes short. In other words, not letting them sustain for their entire length.

So if you look at the sheet music, you can see that most of the hits that are quarter notes are the very last note in the bars. I think it would be a good exercise to sing and count the rhythm out, which I think is what I talked about in a video I made for another member earlier this month. So definitely scroll back and check out that video, but that advice will be really helpful for you too.

zukulele, excellent playing Zion! Great feel, very clean, and a solid tempo. Honestly you kept in time better than I did, bravo! The only critique I have is that the straight rhythm was at a quicker tempo, while the swung rhythm was at a slower tempo. Maybe try to keep an even tempo throughout both sections.

mheiden
    Participant

Here is my August submission for Swung vs Straight 8th Note Rhythm
    I enjoyed this because I’m wanted to improve on fingerpicking and developing more feeling into the music.

lyndallk
    Participant

Hi Andrew. Here’s my version of Spongebob – not up to speed, but I’m pretty pleased, despite some timing issues, worked on it this evening….

Cheers
    Lyndall

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.