July 30, 2018 at 7:38 pm #17878
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with site member challenge #18! WOW, there has now been over 475+ members participating in our challenges! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 2 Rock Class 101 “Swing Your Rhythm” Themed Genre Lessons:
1) Learn to “Swing Your Rhythm”! * – A common stylistic approach used in Jazz and Blues Shuffles is to play with a swung rhythm. But, what exactly does it mean to “swing the rhythm”? That’s what we’ll be answering in this lesson. * Taught in its entirety for FREE & includes FREE TABS!
2) “SpongeBob SquarePants Theme” – This is a great fingerstyle piece for the intermediate player.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: Learn to “Swing Your Rhythm”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: SpongeBob SquarePants Theme
3. Participation Goal: 25 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 2 “Swing Your Rhythm” pieces anytime between Wednesday, August 1st till Friday, August 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD. This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. If you do not wish to pay the shipping fee, we can award you a gift card to Uke Republic for an amount equal to the giveaway prize(s).
There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on September 7th, 2018. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
1) $100 Uke Republic Package! Includes:
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE!
THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
Let’s crush this challenge!July 31, 2018 at 3:33 am #17883kayleighbMember
I’m back in this month. Sat out last months challenge for a few reasons. I’m going to give Spongebob a go. This was the first song I played in the June 2017 challenge after I’d just started playing my uke. Admittedly I haven’t practised this one since then but will post my original challenge video along with my updated one to see the difference a year makes. I’ll be focussing on speed again this month.July 31, 2018 at 12:56 pm #17886cait23Participant
For the premium lesson, you say we just have to learn one version of the 3 versions of the “Spongebob Squarepants” part in the chorus. For the competition, do we need to learn all 3 versions? Or just pick one for the chorus? (bars 9, 10, 11) Thanks!! CaitlinJuly 31, 2018 at 6:22 pm #17890lisadmhParticipant
Fun uke. I’m gonna practice my swing as I can’t do another month of sponge bob, lol. Beginner stuff is good for me to try to clean up. And it’s actually kinda fast. We’ll see if I can get it up to speed.
Edit. Note to anyone who thinks the beginner one it’s too easy for them. He mentions you can do the picado rest stroke thing from the flamenco song. I’m gonna try that, and throw in the fancy flamenco strum too. It’ll make it a whole lot harder for me and it might be a disaster but good prep for the flamenco. And I’m finding it oddly hilarious. 🙂July 31, 2018 at 9:05 pm #17894
Caitlin, yes – the entire song (all 16 bars).August 1, 2018 at 5:04 pm #17909rickeymikeParticipant
hey Andrew, I was just scrolling through the list of songs and I came across “Heart and Soul” by H.C. I first printed the tabs for this when I first joined RockClass one year ago because I wanted to play it so badly. So way over my head at the time, I quickly dropped it. Now I think I could do this and I noticed that your music sheet notation has swung 8ths. Would you consider adding this song to this month’s challenge?
RickeyAugust 2, 2018 at 12:23 pm #17932
Hi Rickey, let’s hold off on adding another tune to this month’s challenge. But, I’d encourage you to keep working on it!August 3, 2018 at 11:20 am #17960
Hi andrew! Here’s my version of the tune you used in your ”How to Swing Your Rhythm” tutorial:
Hope you enjoy it! (By the way, the empty posts by zappy123 was from me, I accidentally submitted the video using my wrong account.)August 4, 2018 at 10:48 am #17966lisadmhParticipant
Good job hafeez! And so quickly.
Andrew, I second Rickeys the request for heart and soul in some future challenge sometime soon. I need the challenge motivation to structure myself on that one and get it down. 🙂August 4, 2018 at 6:00 pm #17967
Excellent job Zap (hafeez)! You’ve got a clear distinction between the feels of both rhythms, well done! Two tiny tips – Watch the tempo on the 8th note runs… so the funny thing about this feedback is I need it too, lol! I rushed those same sections. 🙂
And you should try the picado technique – it’s a more efficient way for fingerpicking versus only using 1 finger. Check out this lesson for an overview on the technique: https://rockclass101.com/la-gitanita/August 4, 2018 at 7:44 pm #17968
Thank you! I’ll try to implement your feedback in my playing 😄August 8, 2018 at 8:21 am #18045awesomestringsMember
Hi guys. Heres the participation.
Also a typo in the ground participation:
of you playing 1 of the 3 American Patriotic pieces. Just to point that out 😀
Have a nice dayAugust 8, 2018 at 8:31 am #18046
Nice job awesomestrings!August 8, 2018 at 7:42 pm #18049awesomestringsMember
You too great job, and to those who will perform in the future as well. I can’t wait to see some awesome performances! 🙂August 8, 2018 at 9:36 pm #18050rickeymikeParticipant
Both great jobs, Awesone and Zap. I’m almost ready to post. The only drawback is I now put out my butts in swung eighth time. But it does work better in extinguishing than straight 8ths.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.