Participate in the August 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Kala Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the August 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Kala Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    dianna
    Participant

@The_Bumble_Bard and @leb397 thank-you! I took inspiration from you Bumble Bard….you definitely have paved the way with your clawhammer rendition of Drunken Sailor and your earlier post of Bury Me…..I can see how this clawhammer thing can become a very deep rabbit hole….I want to play more of it! I want to learn how to turn regular tunes into clawhammer tunes.

@leb397
    I second the kudos for all those you mentioned including yourself….it’s been a great month…. Well done!

bibilele
    Participant

@leb397 Thank you very much! I had help – my husband was sitting opposite of me on the SUP. 😊

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_, that was absolutely beautiful!! Such feeling behind that. You have a beautiful voice and really lovely playing! 😊

@dianna
    , thank you so much for that! That really means a lot, and I really appreciate it. 💕 Clawhammer is so much fun, it is really awesome that a bunch of people tried it this month and did so great and love it too, yourself included!! I actually thought about making a video showing how I turn a regular tune into clawhammer but it would be super off the books, as in haphazard beyond belief, which is how I do that. 😅 Anyway, thank you! 😊

gi_gi_
    Participant

Thanks so much @TBB you are too kind ☺️.
    I enjoyed everyone’s submissions so much. Keep up the good work everyone.

akukes73
    Participant

@leb397 – hi yes it is a tenor, though large body probably closer to a baritone size. The model is called Sedara, it is the product of a collaboration between Matt at World of Ukes in the UK and Uluru; cedar top and mahogany back and sides. The lack of fret board markers was a challenge at first but having to rely on the side dots has hopefully helped my posture as I had a tendency to always crook my neck and peer over the fretboard.

Your Cielito Lindo was fab, loved the humming – was a great accompaniment.
    There have been some great entries again this month, it so inspiring!

leb397
    Participant

Oh my @gi_gi_ that truly was beautiful. So few completed the vocal and I loved it. Nicely performed considering you were a “last min” entry 😆

@akukes73
    thank you for responding. It’s a beautiful tenor. 👏👏

@bibilele
    that’s one steady husband on the board with you 😳😁

@dianna
    I agree turning more songs into claw hammer. @the_bumble_bard I’d love to see your process of transitioning into claw hammer or maybe Andrew has a course. Matt addressed it a bit when his lesson discussed changing up a song based on you @TBB with drunken sailor.
    I like the Sept choices with mini lessons. Memorizing a 2+ min song isn’t easy… lots of hour’s practicing. Happy September 🎼🎼🎼🎼
    And thanks again @andrew for creating this platform, especially for the chatting people 😆

gi_gi_
    Participant

@leb397 Thanks so much. I took my uke with me while I was gone and was able to work on it some but I was very distracted. Glad I was able to submit it. Walking through the airport with my uke felt fun. like I was an imposter 😂😆🤣. Your submission was wonderful. Loved the humming. I started practicing like that because of your great submission.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_, that’s so funny, there is nothing more beautiful than toting a uke somewhere where it “isn’t suppose to be,” like an airport. I have normalized bringing my uke with me everywhere to my friend’s and family’s houses, but in public that’s way more entertaining. 😂

Also, your submission was so pretty that I teared up a bit, confession. 😂

@leb397
    , well… the first step is learning clawhammer to begin with which is what RC101 is for and then also learning the regular arrangement, also what RC101 is for. 😅 I thought it might be funny to just show how I merge those two things, but in order to do that you need an existing arrangement and again to know clawhammer. 😅😂 The arrangements I have created myself, in part were so that I could just mess around with the simple framework, which I really love to do. So, I wouldn’t consider it a lesson, just me being a total spaz on camera, as usual. 😅

And that still makes me emotional to think about how they included clawhammer Drunken Sailor in the live lesson. The instructors and students here are so beyond talented that I felt so honored by that. I’m in love with Rock Class. 😂😅😳😭

Agreed, special thanks to @Andrew for tolerating, even encouraging, so much tomfoolery. 😅

gi_gi_
    Participant

@TBB no way 😱 Thank you….. 😭

leb397
    Participant

@gi_gi thank you. I chuckle at your remark traveling with Uke… I have too and so many ask violin? Ha I think and also mandolin… I only wish. Keep them guessing. @TBB you are brave and more confident (than you think) to bring it to family and friends 😊 I bet they love it 👏
    I’ll continue practicing claw hammer. Finished the course but just couldn’t get through BMUTWtree. Have a beautiful weekend everyone 😊🌈🎼🦄

leb397
    Participant

Oh P.S @gi_gi impressive set list !

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, thank you so much, my friend! 😊 Stage one is normalizing having my uke with me; stage two is actually playing it, which I’m starting to do more. 😅 I’ve started by just randomly fingerpicking when no one is listening and also having “secret concerts” with my mom where we go off into a room where no one else is and I play for just her. My hands still shake, but it’s less scary. Then she plays her ocarina tunes for me. 😅 I feel like it helps, if you want to play in front of others, to start by playing in front of one person you really trust to be kind.

Sorry to blow up this thread. That’s all for now. Have a lovely weekend everyone. 😅

gi_gi_
    Participant

I hope @Andrew is okay or on vacation.

Andrew
    Keymaster

All is good, Gi Gi. Just been swamped with projects, hope to get to the rest of feedback soon 🙂

gi_gi_
    Participant

Oh good to hear. Take your time. Your health is more important ❤️💞.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.