Participate in the February 2020 Member Challenge – Technique Toolbox Courses!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the February 2020 Member Challenge – Technique Toolbox Courses!

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    cornishdpt
    Participant

Andrew,
    I was so excited to give this a try and just realized…. IS THIS TECHNIQUE EVEN POSSIBLE WITH HOW I PLAY THE UKE UPSIDE DOWN?! Oye!

becky7777
    Participant

@cornishdpt I can’t answer your question but if it is, try looking up left handed banjo players who might play on right handed instruments. You might find someone developed a technique to get the job done, since the high drone string on banjo is not as long as the other 4 and can’t really be moved easily.

Perfect excuse to get a lefty or maybe have the nut turned around (or diy it) on a cheap uke.* Even if it just stays your ‘banjo’ in my opinion. Since the technique is so different you can treat the modified uke as a completely ‘new’ instrument maybe? (Just a thought anyway, if you’re determined to learn it, and it’s not possible to do backwards.)

*I think the bracing inside each “handed” instrument might be positioned differently to take the stress the different string tensions put on the body. (or something.. There’s extra bracing on guitar tops in the spot your strumming hand might contact the top from luthier videos. Those might be there for a million reasons, i’m just guessing.) If you do flip the nut on one, I would try it on a super cheap uke just in case it ends up ruining it somehow long term.

Andrew
    Keymaster

You’d have to reverse everything, Cory – but you already do this. I’d give it a shot.

lakeside339
    Participant

Well – I am amazed that no one at all has yet posted themselves playing ;-)! Usually 1-2 people have already posted their results/entry by now.

This is great – I have been wanting to dive in to the clawhammer course since you announced it. And the day before I saw this challenge, I ordered a (cheap from China) banjolele. It would be great to win the Goldtone and give the one I ordered to one of our youngest family members.
    Starting the lessons now

becky7777
    Participant

Most are probably doing clawhammer but needed to ask

Anyone else finding themselves drifting into a 4 finger death grip on their left hand when they miss an artificial harmonic with their right hand?

Ouch, jeeze. I don’t even notice because it’s sort of gradual as I miss, I start mashing down harder until my hand starts hurting or my strength starts giving out.

Next bit of practice I get in today, I need to work on that. Haven’t gotten quite to the main song yet. Tapped harmonics is super hard for me, and muscle memory for spacing between hands is taking me time.

@lakeside339
    -That’s awesome! Hope your banjolele is fun when you get it! & Hope you have a blast with the clawhammer coarse! 🙂

johanna2509
    Participant

Hi all!
    In January I worked on songs that were on my wanna-learn list (Can’t Help Falling in Love, Puff the Magic Dragon and Toss a Coin to Your Witcher). I also got an electric guitar and it’s so much fun! I am just messing around with power chords, but that seems to be enough to start with in the beginning.

The harmonics version of Amazing Grace was really an extraordinary piece to learn! I’m playing the artificial harmonics different than the way it is teached in the toolbox though. That’s because I copied the technique from Vasko in December when I learned his version of All I want for Christmas Is You. Now it feels weird to use the thumb, so I’m just sticking to the ring finger.
    I feel like the harmonics on the low g string are more difficult, I miss them more often. I am looking forward to the feedback to know what I should work on!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@johanna2509 – WOW that was beautiful! I love how you paced it – it gave it a very natural feel/sound. I have no constructive feedback other than: let the last note ring out till it fades 🙂

And the G strings harmonics sound great to me! All of them did. Well done!

jinajupiter
    Participant

I just started the exercises of the Claw Hammer Course. If I play the brush stroke on beat 2 and 4 I can’t play the melody notes, only on 1 and 3, is that correct?

johanna2509
    Participant

Thank you so much Andrew! I’m soo happy that I have found this awesome community!

jinajupiter
    Participant

Wow cool Johanna!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@jinajupiter – they would be contained within the chord. They don’t always fall on string A, so it can become “blended” to the ear over typical arr. writing that usually places them there.

becky7777
    Participant

Really nice johanna!

lisadmh
    Participant

What is it about the camera that makes me awkward and uptight every time? I can play it faster and more comfortably and more chill than this, but not with the camera running. I should probably wait another week before recording but it’s flowing so well without the camera…

This technique felt super awkward the first couple of days but now it feels totally natural. I would never have gone looking for a song like this bit I quite love it! Thanks for shaking things

Without further ado…. Here’s where I’m at.

andracass
    Participant

Very nice, Lisadmh! 😀

becky7777
    Participant

Totally Awesome Lisa!!!!

I swear you’re really good with percussive techniques. You didn’t look or sound tight or strained to me. (But i’m no expert) That was super smooth and sounded great!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 138 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.