Participate in the February 2024 Member Challenge – Choose ANY Ukulele Song!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the February 2024 Member Challenge – Choose ANY Ukulele Song!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@jedart – I don’t like fretting the chord that way. If I was playing it, I’d omit string 4 for the verses and play X210. The 2 on G is an A, which is the same note as the open A – so you’re not really missing anything by not playing it. You’d just have to target your down strums to strike strings 3 to 1 and the opposite for up strums. For the chorus, it should be no problem to fret 2210 the traditional way.

willw18
    Participant

I’ve never done one of these challenges before but I’ve been working on etude 13 as a beginner for the past couple of weeks so seems like a perfect opportunity. hopefully it qualifies!

malku2603
    Participant

Hello all, I have decided to play Aura Lee for the February challenge and try to improve on the flick strum … this is my progress so far on the song…..waiting for constructive feedback!!!…..

Andrew
    Keymaster

@malku2603 – Technique looks great! Try to work on consistency, meaning that you make the melody note pop every time you do it. For example, the one you hit at 18/19 seconds in the video was perfect! Try to get each time to sound like that one and you’ll be rockin’ & rollin’! 🙂

malku2603
    Participant

Thanks @andrew for the feedback will be working on it!!!! 😊😊

willw18
    Participant

here is my attempt at etude 13, thank you 🙂

maryjanew
    Participant

I’m still trying to decide! too many choices! I think I am going to do something in the Irish/Scottish genre. I’ve Been wanting to learn more in this genre, so I’m looking at the selection in RockClass101 lessons. I’m getting close to making my selection! 😜

rebeca
    Participant

Hi everyone!

It’s been two months out of uke because of an injured finger and I’m super happy of being here again taking part of this month’s challenge.
    I’had no doubt that “Spanish Guitar / Ukulele was going to be the first tune I was going to learn after the recovery period.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@willw18 – Very nicely played, Will! I have a couple suggestions for you. First, try to pluck a little lighter. That will give your notes a softer, sweeter tone. Which is perfect for this tune. Here’s a video I made for another member a few years back which covers this concept in more detail:

The second area I’d recommend working on is timing. Overall, you did really well! But I think we can get the performance to be a little bit more consistent in the tempo. Try playing along with a metronome or with me in the on-screen tab viewer.

@rebeca
    – Very beautifully played, Rebeca! And I’m glad to hear you are healed up 🙂

My feedback is more of an opinion than a critique. Personally, I think this song sounds best with a steady tempo as opposed to a rubato approach. But, as I always say, how you interpret and perform a piece is always up to you, the performer.

malku2603
    Participant

Hey there!!! this is my second progress update on Aura Lee for this month’s challenge
    still trying to make the flick strum consistent as per your last feedback @andrew.

rebeca
    Participant

@Andrew – Thank you for the feedback!
    Rubato came out naturally and also made it easier for me to play the tune.
    I would’ve had to put much more effort trying to mantain a steady tempo, which I also love.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@malku2603 – Consistency is spot on now! Well done, Akansha! I also like that you play the second melody section (starting at bar 9) without that technique. This actually adds variety to your playing, rather than using it in every measure of the tune, which could make the technique sound less special.

gi_gi_
    Participant

@malku2603 That was so nice.

@rebeca
    I enjoyed your playing so much. It made me feel like crying and I don’t know why. I want to learn it now. Beautifully played. Glad you healed well.

rebeca
    Participant

@gi_gi_: So happy you’ve enjoyed it!
    Spanish guitar is a really touching melody. I hope you learn it and share it as well 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by rebeca.
    shmu88
    Participant

Hello All,

For this month I wanted to work on the solo and doing both rythm and melody in the beautiful song “Just like my dreams”, so here is my entry, enjoy!

Sam

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 135 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.