Participate in the February 2024 Member Challenge – Choose ANY Ukulele Song!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the February 2024 Member Challenge – Choose ANY Ukulele Song!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    muzikmama
    Participant

Congrats to Johanna. Its always a drumroll moment irrespective of being in the draw or not. Many thanks to Andrew & the gang and Uke Republic for all the amazing opportunities you provide, and not only the excellent prizes.
    Mardi Gras now in Syd, Aus. Party time! 🎉

johanna2509
    Participant

Wow, I am so excited! 😄 Now this is a hard decision I have to make, so many lovely ukes to choose from 😅 I can’t decide between the Flight Diana Tenor and the Ohana TK-70R. Both look and sound beautiful. And then I have to decide whether it should be Low or High G. I don’t have a Low G tenor yet, so maybe this is the opportunity to get one.

bibilele
    Participant

Thanks @Stephen for your kind feedback! I started learning the song on my tenor uke and there the volume of the tapping part was even lower. Will definitely keep on working on it. 🙂

dianna
    Participant

Congratulations @Johanna2509! What a treat to be able to choose from some of Uke Republic’s inventory….Enoy!

Thank-you @Andrew……yes, I’m having a little love-affair with this banjo-uke, found it used a year or two ago at this great little music shop in Rochester, NY. I love old-time and bluegrass genre and clawhammer banjo-uke fits right in….so I will keep on bum-ditty-ing until I can keep up in a jam.

@The_Bumble_Bard
    – Thank-you! I still have a ways to go before it flows….sometimes I think it takes more than a month to get these pieces down (more like 3+)….Your Classical Etude was gorgeous….and you nailed the harmonics at the end! By the way I love the googly-eyes….gives your uke some personality😁……..In my ID photo there is a painting in the background…..it is covered with googly eyes – The artist (my friend) calls it “The Eyes of the Universe” 🤪. I would love to hear your rendition of Cripple Creek…..I know you are busy with the move, but when everything has settled…..maybe?
    Good-luck with your move!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by dianna.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by dianna.
    otzepeng
    Participant

@Johanna2509 Congrats! I’m sure you’ll make the right choice and wish a max of fun with your new one.

@Stephen
    . Thank’s for your feedback. The amount of hammer ons and pull-offs in this song is huge and stills a great challenge for me to work on, especially with this straight timing. I’ll work further on it, thanks for your advice. And there is also much work for the measures 41 – 45.

ramiro
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback @stephencox!

nat-uke
    Participant

@johanna2509 – 🎉 congrats! We can’t wait to see what uke you end up choosing. So many beautiful instruments ❤️

nat-uke
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback @stephen 👍👍

gi_gi_
    Participant

@johanna2509 You could also add your money to it and get a really nice uke ☺️.

johanna2509
    Participant

I’ve chosen the Flight Diana Tenor with a low G 😊. As I live in Germany, I’ll probably have to wait a while for it to arrive. I’m looking forward to playing all the low G arrangements with it 😊.

@gi_gi_
    Haha but I don’t want to imagine custom fees for like a Kanile’a model 😅.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by johanna2509.
    gi_gi_
    Participant

@johanna2509 Congrats. No doubt you will love your new uke…

lhamilton
    Participant

Congratulations, @johanna2509! That is a lovely choice. I have a Flight electric and really enjoy playing it. They make beautiful ukuleles.

Linda

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@johanna2509, congratulations!! That’s such a good choice. I have the same Flight electric uke as @lhamilton (I think) and agreed that they’re really good ukes. Looking forward to hearing you share it here when it arrives!! 😁😊

@Stephen
    , well, even if you don’t see the googly eyes in your dreams, they’re always there… watching. It’s kind of like a horror-movie, “Ring”-esque curse that once you see them, they always see you. But don’t worry; they’re kind of friendly. With the googly eyes muffling the sound of the uke, that actually came up during one of the live lessons with Matt and he said that eventually adding those on would start to muffle the sound. I had maybe twenty on at one point, but to me it seemed like it was starting to muffle it, very sadly. As funny as the goal of putting 450 eyes on the uke was, I now have a disturbed emotional attachment to that uke and the sound is more important (I guess). 😂 Thank you again for the feedback, I hope I can fine tune that one and capture the emotion even more!

@dianna
    , oh yeah, so true! I’d say most songs here take more than a month to really master, but to me that’s the beauty of them, that they’re so good that you can “grow into them,” like a really nice pair of shoes (like when you “break in” a pair of shoes). 😂 To be honest, I got the feel / pattern of clawhammer so engrained by just playing the pattern over and over again, even just fretting a C or F chord or whatever, and playing the clawhammer pattern. That’s mostly how I learned clawhammer. But that’s just because I loved playing the pattern by itself so much that I actually enjoyed doing that, maybe not everyone would. 😂 Obviously it’s probably more productive to learn songs to get different variations/adaptations on the pattern. Chris created some really great ones here, but it would be amazing if he did more, especially since a bunch of people here are into it now. I’ll have to try his version of Cripple Creek, too, it sounds really good. And thank you so much for liking how I played Andrew’s Classical Etude, that’s one of my favorite songs on RC101. Ha! Well, I know what kind of wall art I need to create for my new digs now. That’s amazing, I never noticed that painting. 😅😂 I do have a recording of that song on my YouTube already, one of the first songs I recorded ever, but I’ll try to get a better take of it! It’s so much fun. Sorry, I get carried away replying. I can’t resist this topic. 😂 Looking forward to hearing more clawhammer from you and the others who are learning it here, so exciting and fun that other people here are into it and so good at it! 😁

leb397
    Participant

Hello RC101 back from the palm trees and warm breezes to the gray N.E. cool temps. I am able to respond to a few February entries and thank you @Andrew for the encouraging words. I’m still practicing YESTERDAY because it’s one of my FAVS.
    Congrats @johanna2509 winning the challenge and hearing about your uke choice. I was looking at the Ohana Tenor on Uke Rep. site today. (your second choice). I’m not ready for pick-ups yet.

@The_bumble_bard
    wow you really did nail the classical piece and the harmonics at the end – you always express what we all feel. Love it. I saw an internet post where someone went shopping and stuck “googly” eyes on various packages. Sure made others smile when they spotted them 🙂

@dianna
    and @nat-uke loved your cripple creek. Looks so fun to play. I’m going to try.

@Firebladetim
    and @morrieuke1 just loved Malaguena; @misterbones, your Spanish piece was amazing.

@gi_gi_
    lovely. Hope to hear you sing again in one of the challenges. Maybe Danny Boy?

@janaq1
    The Entertainer was incredible! I remember learning that on piano (many moons ago) and just wow on a UKE.
    Impress with over 50 entries and everyone worked so hard. As TBB mentioned, it takes more than a month to memorize and get something to record/submit. Not easy. Now time to buckle down and start with the March Challenge!!! Louisa
    P.S. Never mean to leave anyone out – everyone was amazing.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, thank you so much, my friend!! Once I smooth out some of the hiccups, I hope I can get the rubato-i-ness throughout that song. I actually have played the first part of it way more because it’s more like what I play when I’m just relaxing, or messing around, when I play uke. The beginning part of that song really affected how I try to create songs for uke because I loved the sound of it so much. I recommend learning that one; it’s fun. Haha, well, that’s a brilliant idea to leave googly eyes randomly around in public, but I don’t think I should try that with my track record – I already have trouble behaving in public, obviously. It’s a genetic trait. 😅😂 Hope you enjoyed your trip, glad to have you back!! 😊💕

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.