Participate in the January 2019 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2019 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    lisamcc
    Participant

Wow – thank you! It’s a really cool piece of music – I love the fact that you usually hear it on a huge organ!

rickeymike
    Participant

Wow, Stephen. Thanks. I guess I got closer to my key. haha

lisadmh
    Participant

Thank you Stephen. I do notice in videos that my hand seems twisted but it feels okay. I sometimes try to work on straightening it but that feels weird on the fingers…?

Andrew, I hope you feel better soon! Stephen, thanks for stepping in to help him out.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by lisadmh.
    deadbuggy
    Participant

I posted my submission way back on page 5… please don’t forget me!

rickeymike
    Participant

Deadbuggy, Did you post your initial Execution,Application,Evaluation? Recheck.

deadbuggy
    Participant

I covered all that information in my initial post (how I planned to execute/application) and in the final video which definitely contained my own evaluation of my … ahem…performance 😉

lyndallk
    Participant

Thanks so much for your feedback Stephen. I find it hard to just practice little bits until they’re right so that is good feedback that I will take on. It was a lot of work, but very very fun.

I’m inspired by other’s writing their own music, and doing their own arrangements. I think that’s amazing.

Cheers
    Lyndall

ukuleleloo
    Participant

Hi Andrew, Hope you are feeling better.

Below is my initial attempt at Allegro back in June of last year and my second attempt. I am able to play the song at a faster tempo but not quite at 100% yet. I focused on the dynamics of the song but not sure how successful I was. There a few mistakes in the latest version as well.

ukukelley1
    Participant

My January Challenge was to learn to use the on-screen tab viewer and use repetition/looping to smooth out the most challenging measures of Fingerpicking Etude # 11, and improve my pace.
    I did indeed learn to use the on-screen tab viewer, and I learned it is a highly effective learning tool. I also learned I dislike repetition, and am not always overflowing with self-discipline when it comes to music…. It took a fair bit of practice before I could keep up with the on-screen tab viewer even at 50% tempo for the couple of really challenging measures — so that was helpful right up front. Then I probably only had three solid sessions of looping with the tab viewer over the month. I started at the slowest pace and worked them up to 75%. I don’t think I ever made it up to tempo. If I had done more looping repetitions, my performance would be better, obviously. However, it really did make a big difference given what it sounded like when I started… Now I have a go-to tool to use to figure out challenging sections and to drive myself to get things up to a crisper tempo. Here’s the result……..
    Sheryl

Ugh, well I’ve been practicing all month and posted twice, but decided to do my final update tonight instead of morning practice time, so I could film in real clothes. I’m exhausted after a late night of work and have been increasing my messing up the more I try. So, not posting a final video tonight. Don’t know if past posting counts enough or no.

However, I learned the importance of playing with the tab viewer, because since my last post I noticed I was dropping chords. Like I said, I memorize (too fast I now know) songs when I go over the video and look at the music a couple times. But… then I make up the rhythm as I feel, ingrain bad habits and also apparently drop stuff out. So this has been a helpful learning experience that is going to make me better if I keep using the tools on this site, which is the goal. I have a year membership now and plan to keep at this for the next year consistently to see where I end up.

Thanks Andrew for all your work!

kanae926
    Participant

In my head, I was playing with dynamics, but every time I played back my videos, it wasn’t that apparent, so I kept recording…which quickly became frustrating. Although I was playing with more feeling here in this video than my progress video from two weeks ago, it’s the wrong kind of feeling (anger 😤🤣). I might have hit that harmonic too hard (🙈).

Anyway, the other goal was to play up to speed and I may have reached 135 bpm, but it also resulted in more muted notes. Let’s not talk about the weird timing issues I had when I got to the tapped ending, okay?

I had another take that went a little more smoothly until the ending when it all collapsed. I kinda wish I could have edited best pieces of both takes. 😂

becky7777
    Participant

Submission for time issues.

I can’t clean it up in time but im resubmitting my done version tonight. I just lopped a chunk out of an hour long take trying to get one with no mistakes and ran out of time.

I just took the end of the first submission. Swearing is gone. I apologize. I’m still messing with it to probably clean up the beginning and end, make it a little louder etc.

I need help with the slide on the 5th fret badly please. I’ll link the original video and tabs with finished chunk.

Below is the same chunk of song but fixed it up. I messed with adding rain and thunder. Spent some time putting things so they go to different ears added a load of effects to the uke track to make it sound less stuffed with socks. Something about the sound is not really resonant so I tried to make it more treble? I think the first track is natural uke sound. Sorry I’m a wreck in real life right now

video and tab of original song below

Niel Gow’s Lament: Irish Video and Tab

outline of jan challenge here:

Participate in the January 2019 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by becky7777. Reason: unforseen swearing. I didn't know. The mic picks up my hand on the neck and whispers. I didn't have any time
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by becky7777. Reason: Deleted majority of the submission
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by becky7777. Reason: finished making it fancy
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by becky7777.
    nthibode

@kanae926, I understand your frustration! I had similar issues while recording (smooth until the very end — WHY??, balancing between speed and smoothness, harmonic not working, etc). I recorded more than 130 takes over the course of 4 days, so needed a lot of patience by the end. Keep it up though! The more you work and evaluate, the better you’ll get. Allegro sounds like a beautiful piece! Will have to give it a try myself.

Day late and lots of mistakes, but it’s improved. Maybe a little ambitious for me right now, but I’m stubborn, so kept at it and learned a lot. I’m not proud of the result, but am proud of the process.

becky7777
    Participant

I think its impresiive sprinting! Ty for posting!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.