Participate in the January 2022 Member Challenge: Celebrating 500 Lessons!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2022 Member Challenge: Celebrating 500 Lessons!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 199 total)
  • Author
    andrewvh
    Participant

Here’s my best take of dream a little dream. I made as an effort to learn to be play this without the music in front of me, which I don’t usually do. It Still has a few stutters, but it’s nice to be able just to pick up the ukulele and play.

akukes73
    Participant

I didn’t have much time this month but here it is… I found that it was difficult to play it so slowly even thought it is at 100%, it seemed to make it harder to get the rhythm. I also found it difficult to play with my thumb, I feel that I don’t have the same control as when I use PIMA. However, the song was a good exercise for me to work on the thumb approach. I also felt that I was able to improve on not pressing down so hard on the strings even for the barring..so small steps but hopefully in the right direction!

Thank you for a lovely arrangement!

karenj
    Participant

I apologize if this is a duplicate. I hit submit earlier, then nothing happened. Anyway here’s my January submission of Five Foot Two. I loved learning the song and the many strumming variations taught in the course. Thank you RC 101. I look forward to the next 500!

Take care,
    Karen

lisamcc
    Participant

I am a premium member.

Happy new year all! Still a work in progress… But on my new baby Millar uke.. Which is very loud!! It’s a total joy to play and this tune was equally joyous so very fitting!!!

leslieb
    Participant

RockClass101 has amazing instructors as well as great fellow participants. I enjoyed taking Christopher’s strumming class and can now do very sssslllloooowwww claw, fan, and tripelet strums. What I couldn’t do was learn the song Five Foot Two well enough to both play from memory or even have someone recognize the tune. I switched to Matt’s lesson on Dream a Little Dream of Me. Matt did a wonderful job, I’m currently a slow student. I was able to take Andrew’s advice from last month and performed the song from memory. Proud that I didn’t look at the sheet music at all. I tried submitting earlier, but it wasn’t showing up. My apologies if this ends up being a second post.

Happy New Year,

lbilkie
    Participant

I decided to challenge myself this month and I’m not real happy with this best take, but here is my “St. Anne’s Reel.” I stumbled a bit and couldn’t get the tempo up to 100%, but worked hard on it, so I’m at least pleased with what progress I did make.

tules14

Month 3 with the ukulele and I focused on barre chords and rhythm.

It has been super inspiring to watch everyone’s amazing performances and I look forward to trying some of these other songs as my playing progresses.

jbmills07
    Participant

I am a premium member 🙂

I ended up doing “here comes the sun”. I started by trying to learn 5 foot 2, but about half way through (the split strum and the pluck strum) I realized I may not be ready for that for this challenge quite yet!
    But I’m really happy I ended up learning this one! So fun to play! Thank you!

jbmills07
    Participant

@tules14 that was great! especially considering your only at 3 months with the ukulele! Keep it up!

taylor22jane
    Participant

Back at it this month (And hopefully for many more months this year)! 🙂

mkstewart67
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi everyone, Love all your performances and thank you all for sharing!
    Yay 500 Lessons, I better get busy! I really wanted to do St James Infirmary but I have run out of time…again! So here is Dream a Little Dream of Me!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@mkstewart67 – looks like your video is private. Could you set it to public?

Stephen

Here is everyone on page 8:

terryfallon3 – You’re off to a great start on this one. The intro and verse parts are sounding pretty good, and the bridge is coming along. What I recommend for measures 22 and 23 is to play the rhythm written on the sheet instead of trying to mimic Andrew’s performance, since he is adding a slap on one of those chords. It’s the same rhythm, but it is easier to practice slowly when counting the written rhythm because the notes will be spaced apart more at your speed. It sounds like you are playing certain strums too quickly and waiting too long in other spots. Counting this rhythm will help as well. You’re doing a great job, keep it up!

evapaju – Very nicely done, and I like the syncopations you have added! There are still a few spots where you seem to be taking a bit of extra time outside of the intentional changes to get to certain chords: 0:15 is one of those spots. If I’m wrong and this is also an intentional pause, try playing this song to a metronome or while patting your foot to see if it’s staying in time with the overall flow. You sound great so far, keep it up!

robinboyd – Excellent job! You’ve definitely improved your right hand’s consistency from the last time to this one. While there are a few spots that may still be tricky, they are mostly left hand shifts at this point. You are doing an excellent job, and the feel is much more confident and relaxed this time around!

planetfink – Very well done! You had a great feel throughout, a very consistent tempo, and you have the notes under your fingers! The only thing to add now is the exaggerated accents and loose right hand vibe that Evan has in the performance. I think the easiest way to incorporate this now is to watch his performance before you play and just try to imitate that vibe if you want to. Your version sounds excellent as it is, this might make it even more fun to play! The pitter patter of the dog in the middle was cute, and it didn’t distract you at all! Well done!

ukule_lise – Great job on this one, and getting it up to full speed is awesome! There are a few notes in some passages that aren’t quite sounding at this speed, especially when it quickly shifts to the higher frets on the neck. For this reason, it may be better to perform it at a slightly slower tempo to get those spots to be more effortless, and then bring it back to this tempo gradually. Nice job on this one, you’re doing great!

robinl – Nice playing on this one, especially in the bridge! You are playing the notes very well, and have a great sound all of the way through. On the intro in the first measure, you are holding out the 2nd fret on the A string (the B note) a bit too long. The last note of that measure should happen on the upbeat after beat 4, and you are waiting just a bit longer to play it on the down beat of the following measure. That rhythm is a bit confusing, but it happens in the intro and the verse. I would work to fix this, as it is slightly interrupting the flow of the song when you play it. Try playing along with the Tab Play Along at 90% and you might hear the rhythm easier. You’re doing great, keep it up!

zongozongo – You are doing a great job so far! There are a few rhythms to keep working on, and a few spots where you are hesitating, but you are playing the notes very well with a good sound! You are well on your way, and if counting the rhythms is too tricky, try playing along with Evan’s performance with the tab player. You may even want to slow it down a touch just to keep your feel consistent as you play along. Very nicely played!

kidelozzi
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Happy New Year to all! Here is my submission of Here Comes The Sun for the January 2022 Member Challenge. So much fun to play!

Hello Andrew!
    Where do we find the winner of the giveaway announcement? Is it a video, or a typed document? If it’s a live video announcement where do we find the link? If it is a typed doc, where do we find it?
    Thank you!

Best,

Gavril

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 199 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.