July 1, 2019 at 11:37 am #28611
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with site member challenge #28! WOW, there has now been over 1,100+ members participating in our challenges! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 Rock Class 101 Summer Blockbuster Lessons:
1) Jurassic Park * – An elegant take on one of the most beloved themes from, John Williams. * Taught in its entirety for FREE!
2) Star Wars Medley – Embark on an epic journey through the Star Wars universe in this medley which features 4 iconic compositions from the classic era.
3) SpongeBob SquarePants Theme – This is a great fingerstyle piece for the intermediate player.
4) Stranger Things Theme – An 80’s inspired synth theme with a hint of Halloween.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: Jurassic Park
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece (from easier to harder): SpongeBob SquarePants Theme, Stranger Things Theme, OR Star Wars Medley
3. Participation Goal: 35 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 Summer Blockbuster pieces anytime between Monday, July 1st till Wednesday, July 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD. This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on August 4th, 2019. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
1) $345 Grand Prize! Includes:
B) Double A1U Ukulele Pickup (Retail: $145)
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE!
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
Let’s crush this challenge!July 1, 2019 at 11:58 am #28612marni11Participant
Can’t wait to start learning one of the songs! Exciting challenge! Thanks! 🙂July 1, 2019 at 5:57 pm #28618johanna2509Participant
I started right away with the Jurassic Park Theme and I already fell in love with this beautiful arrangement!July 1, 2019 at 7:55 pm #28622robinboydParticipant
This is an interesting one for me because I already have one of the options half memorised. I think I might just play that one and work on Zelda’s Lullaby for the rest of the month. It feels like a bit of a cop-out, but there are a few non-challenge songs that I really want to learn.July 1, 2019 at 8:03 pm #28623lisadmhParticipant
I’m three quarters of the way through Jurassic park alreadyso I’m going to do that and Star Wars I think. They’re both fun.
Any Etude themed challenges coming up? There are so many of those I want to learn better!July 1, 2019 at 11:42 pm #28626July 2, 2019 at 1:24 am #28628
Sorta cheating, I already know this one :). I played a C instead of that last Fadd9 in the ending :(. Sad. So sad.
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBERJuly 2, 2019 at 1:25 am #28629
P.S. Quite a beautiful arrangement. So perfect for the ukulele.July 2, 2019 at 11:36 am #28630July 2, 2019 at 2:41 pm #28631lildevilParticipant
@gaberdude, was liking the “life finds a way” tribute, then I saw the end. How can I learn to do that? What would I need?
Very nice tone and playing btw.July 2, 2019 at 2:52 pm #28632
@lildevil, this is called “AR” or augmented reality. It is found in some photo/video apps for smartphones. The one I used here is an app called “TikTok”. You basically just point your camera at something and add the effect you want from a list — stormtroopers, dinosaurs, cartoon characters, or whatever is offered.July 2, 2019 at 3:15 pm #28633July 2, 2019 at 5:30 pm #28634becky7777Participant
Question about the stranger things intro.
When we do stuff like this, should we aim to do the down strum over the frets with natural harmonics? (I think that’s what it’s called.. Frets 12, 7, or 5.)
It looks like you consistently strum over 12 in the performance and tutorial video. I don’t know if it’s just the sweet spot area on your uke for neck strumming, and i’m over-thinking the rest.
My uke only has 16 frets so if I wanted to hit fret 12, I get a very small handful of frets to scratch in, really close to the sound hole.
Should I aim to strike over the 7th fret in this case? I’m guessing you aim at 12 to take advantage of any harmonic tones from the strum?
July 2, 2019 at 5:46 pm #28636
- This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by becky7777.
@becky7777 – the strum has a diff timbre there. The blues cats, like SRV do that a lot. And they are who I copied.
I’d say it’s up to you. You can do it over the sound hole. No right or wrong.July 2, 2019 at 7:18 pm #28637surfnrzParticipant
So pumped! I’m a huge Star Wars fan!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.