Participate in the July 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Summer Songs!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the July 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Summer Songs!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    ukandrea
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Annemarie and Andrew.
    I have a new “problem” – of course no problem at all in relation to people in my country suffering from the disastrous flooding. I always had a “I want to win that beautiful Kanilea uke – but the quality of my Enya is really ok” feeling but since I have my ANueNue the Enya sounds like dead and very silent to me. I have not measured that but I estimate the ANueNue is 3 times louder and richer in sound and the sustain is incredible long.
    So I have to first practice High G songs with the Enya and than Low G with with my ANueNue, the other way around it is a really dissatisfying experience.
    And I understand more and more what Matt wanted to tell us in the Ukulele Acquisition Syndrom Live Session.
    So I am looking forward to the next Low G challenge 😉
    Have all a happy summertime strumming,
    Andrea

somasoma321
    Participant

Hello..

Here is my submission for Wipe Out-The Surfaris.Hope it works.😀

Thanks for watching..

Ian

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by somasoma321.
    ebetsimo
    Participant

@Andrew -thanks for the feedback I will try learning to swing the rhythm, thanks for the lesson I will try it soon 😊🤙🏼

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by ebetsimo.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@smokealot – Performance was great! Excellent feel throughout, well done! And I passed on your kind words to Steven 🙂

@wongbrown
    – Well done, Sheila! Most of it is there – I honestly think if you played along with Steven in the tab player, that would get the rest locked in. Try 8 bar sections at a time.

@somasoma321
    – Great playing, Ian! Fantastic job on the timing. That’s prob the hardest part of that tune! Keep up the great work!

gstriph
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

I really like the original version of this song with the low spoken parts so I chose it for this month.

Jerry

ccwuke
    Participant

I am Premium Member

Summertime – after a few very cold and wet weeks I could do with a bit of summer!

Chris

wongbrown

Thanks, Andrew. I’ll follow your feedback and practise more. Really appreciate your advice. Cheers

biancak
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I typically run away from any pieces where there are too many notes above fret 12. And I must admit that “too many” in my dictionary for this is actually defined as a very small number. 😉
    But decided to get out of my comfort zone this time. This is where I’m at now (and most probably where I’ll leave it unless the pinky and ring fingers suddenly harden up a lot more to be able to sustain a nicer ring at the higher frets…)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by biancak.
    lisadmh
    Participant

This song is all about the vibe. I tried hard to settle in and swing it, playing relaxed, which is still my challenge. How did I do? Thanks for the fun song!

smokealot
    Participant

@lisadmh

That was fun to watch, great performance.
    I guess it takes some nerves to film yourselfe in a public place.
    How do you like your outdoor uke? I just recently treated myself to a tenor version which is following me everywhere 🙂 Little heavy, but the sound is suprisingly good.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by smokealot.
    lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks smokealot! It would stress me out to play for people, but playing in a park doesn’t bother me. Nobody ever says anything. The sound doesn’t travel far outside worth all the ambient noise. I delude myself into thinking nobody can hear.

I like the outdoor uke. It’s great for the beach. I’ve been debating getting a little Enya so I can have a high G beach uke too, lol.

rafaela
    Participant

I am a PREMIUM MEMBER.

Hi!
    Here is my recording of “Wipe Out” for this month’s challenge. It’s the first time I’m doing this, so I hope the audio is fine!

Thanks for listening!
    Rafaela 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@gstriph – Great job, Jerry! I think this is one of your strongest performances I’ve heard this year 🙂

My only advice is to continue working on timing, specifically keeping it steady. But overall, bravo this month!

@ccwuke
    – Great feel throughout the performance! Well done and keep up the good work 🙂

@biancak
    – Lovely playing, Bianca! And I love that you challenged yourself with something out of the norm.

I think what makes it challenging to get sustain out of the higher notes is that the frets become so small. Which makes it harder to fret fingerings. If you played on a larger sized uke (like tenor), it becomes easier because the frets are larger, but then if you have chords that require stretch/reach, that becomes harder! There’s always a give or take lol.

@lisadmh
    – BIG improvement on getting that relaxed feel down, Lisa! My only suggestion is to slow the tempo so it grooves a little more. Check out the version by Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald to hear that slow groove tempo.

@rafaela
    – Bravo, what an incredible first post! Timing, note clarity, and even the ending lick – which is super hard – was spot-on! Well done and I look forward to hearing more of your performances 🙂

turkgoose
    Participant

Hello! Hope everyone is enjoying the Summer. Here is my recording of Wipe Out. Fun song with the percussion and ending, love it!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by turkgoose.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@turkgoose – Bravo! Wonderful performance! I’m only hearing a couple things to work on. First, try to keep the timing steady coming out of the percussion section and back into the riff. Second, keep working on that ending lick. It’s a toughy! But overall, it was awesome! Well done 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.