February 28, 2019 at 11:34 am #25414
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with site member challenge #25! WOW, there has now been over 850+ members participating in our challenges! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 3 Irish Song Lessons:
1) Danny Boy – A timeless Irish ballad; this arrangement begins as a chord melody, but transitions into a fingerpicked harmony with vocals. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!
2) “Red is the Rose” – A bittersweet, yet beautiful Irish Ballad set to the tune of a Scottish love song.
3) “The Irish Washerwoman” – A traditional Irish Jig (dance)!
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: Danny Boy (SINGING is optional, but encouraged).
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: Red is the Rose, The Irish Washerwoman
3. Participation Goal: 25 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 3 Irish Songs anytime between Friday, March 1st till Sunday, March 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD. This fee will be collected by Uke Republic.
There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on April 7th, 2019. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
1) $119 Grand Prize! Includes:
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
Let’s crush this challenge!February 28, 2019 at 12:01 pm #25415stinyukeParticipant
Wow! As a passionate Irish Dancer I’m super excited about this challenge! My goal is to learn The Irish Washerwomen somewhen in the future, when my playing gets better, as I danced several times to this Jig. But for now I’ll learn one of the other songs 🙂February 28, 2019 at 3:46 pm #25435rickeymikeParticipant
My “pipes” will be blowing!February 28, 2019 at 5:34 pm #25441
LOL Rickey!February 28, 2019 at 9:43 pm #25456becky7777Participant
Looks like the very first challenge fell in March, so happy unofficial challenge month anniversary!
I’m totally going to crash and burn on this, but I’ve had “Red Is The Rose” in my favorites for a while. Going to give it a go to check it off my “want to learn” list. Love the arrangement.March 1, 2019 at 2:02 am #25458miztakenParticipant
Becky, Becky, Becky… crash and burn WITH ME!
I want to try Irish Washerwoman on my banjolele… that will be so loud and lots of fun.
I don’t expect any decent speed, but I shall get such joy out of using my banjolele for a change.March 1, 2019 at 8:47 am #25463becky7777Participant
Can’t wait to hear your banjolele! Washer Woman’s a cool song!
I played half the intro of RitR with the video last night on my low G. I’m committed! It made me really want to try tackling Andrew’s Tu De Que Vas arrangement finally too, which has a similar vibe as the beginning of Rose… I also want to do Etude 17… And get my enormous Bourree project done… And play with the Ableton Live trial, (Yes, I’m whining about Ableton and FL Studio AGAIN. I’m so scared I’m going to love them and not be able to buy one of ’em!) and, and, Lol! I see a pattern here…
Reigning myself in now.
Too many bright shiny objects being tossed around in the yard. I can’t cope.
I suppose we should buckle our seatbelts and make sure the trays are in the upright position and get these songs nailed!
(Or I suppose the fire department should be put on call just in case.) 😉March 1, 2019 at 5:19 pm #25477miztakenParticipant
Just saw a bit of Danny Boy… and realised that I cannot do that one.
I sing in the key of “X?” and my ukuleles just don’t do that.
;D 🙂 🙂 🙂March 2, 2019 at 12:40 am #25479brennaMember
Ciao a tutti!!!
Lovely challenge!!! I studied Red is the rose because I love it!!! See you soon whit my version!!
GianlucaMarch 4, 2019 at 8:58 pm #25576cncamachoParticipant
Just started learning Danny Boy so looking forward to digging in more.March 6, 2019 at 3:09 pm #25608brennaMember
I am a premium member.
This is my version of red is the rose. I love this song!!!
Enjoy the challenge!!!
GianlucaMarch 6, 2019 at 4:15 pm #25610March 6, 2019 at 5:48 pm #25615rickeymikeParticipant
Gianluca, very nice. You made it sound and look effortless. I love that melody also. It sounds like the song called Loch Lomond. I wonder if there is any connection between the two?March 6, 2019 at 11:09 pm #25621
Yep, same music Rickey!March 7, 2019 at 12:20 am #25623
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.