Participate in the March 2019 Member Challenge – Irish Songs!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2019 Member Challenge – Irish Songs!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    karenj
    Participant

Here is my attempt at Red is the Rose. After what felt like a million attempts, I gave up the goal of getting a clean recording. I wish it was better and am humbled by how slow this melodoy finger picking comes to me. I know I need to work on smoothness, especially for Melody B, but it took me the whole month to get this far. And March is a long month! But I wanted to challenge myself and really appreciate how Andrew breaks down and explains the different sections. It’s such a great class. I am looking forward to spending some time checking out the other submissions. Happy Spring!

robinboyd
    Participant

Here is my entry for this month. I have a few disclaimers.

1. I did a lot of tour guide work this month, so I spent more than half the month away from home. I took a uke and a printout of the tabs with me, but I didn’t get to watch the video much, so I’m pretty sure my fingering is a bit different to Katie’s.

2. Even so, I’m not happy with the standard I got this to, particularly as it’s still morning here and I haven’t cleaned the cobwebs out of my throat and hands. I just need another few days to get it right!

3. There is a major stuff up in there where I totally forgot what I was supposed to play so I just strummed and hoped for the best.

4. Those high notes are really really hard!

5. I really like the second verse, so I included that too.

becky7777
    Participant

March Entry!!! 😉 March is my official month 6 playing uke!!! picture on soundcloud is my new TT. Love it.

The track below was an overall better entry, till it wasn’t.. so I just added onto the end where I lost my mind. (I was just going to enter this but wasn’t sure if this counted towards playing the entire song LOL!)

timolnz
    Participant

Here is my attempt at Red is the Rose. It was a challenge and room for much improvement but glad i attempted it. Regards to All, Tim. ps nthibode…I really enjoyed your Danny Boy, superb.

rpina61
    Participant

Andrew,

My sincerest thanks for your very helpful critique. I have been hesitant to introduce vibrato into my playing, concentrating mostly on timing and transitions. But I can “see” by listening to your rendition of Red is the Rose that the addition of vibrato adds some much needed evocative depth to this song which my rendition sorely lacks. This particular song is really the perfect one for me to work on introducing vibrato into my playing because it’s so familiar and naturally demanding of it. Well, now’s as good a time as any to give it a go. When I get something worth presenting, I’ll post another video … but don’t hold your breath ’cause it may take a while ;-).

Thanks again.

Robert

p.s. Andrew, I thought I posted a response to your critique but I didn’t see it shown up on the forum. So, I wrote again above and this is my repost.

p.p.s. About my new Kanile’a. You kinda forced me into buying it by introducing your Low-G lessons 😉 ! Found a good deal on ukes.com (aka Bounty Music in Kahului, Maui). They’ve got a clearance sale on pre-2019 Kanile’a ukes amounting to about 25-30% off. I think it’s because I heard Kanile’a has introduced their new TRU-R bracing on *all* their models for 2019 (?) and I suppose they are trying to unload their inventory of ukes with the older version of the TRU bracing. So I was able to pick up a KCS-T-Premium for a really good price. I figure I’ll string my Mele Mango tenor as a low-G because it has such a beautiful warm tone with the softer wood. The Kanile’a I’ll keep as my high-G. And now I finally get to go back and take a look at Taimane’s Moon with my old/new low-G Mele 🙂 …

brettboy
    Participant

Andrew and Uke-Friends, thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I enjoyed hearing everybody’s great work this month!

santai
    Participant

I’m not quite sure, whether or not my entry will count, since I uploaded it directly as a wav-file. So I signed up for Soundcloud as well now.
    Here’s the link – I hope submission time of my first post still counts. 😉

PS: Soooo great to listen to all of the other contestants’ versions! This community really seems great!

becky7777
    Participant

Finally caught up on submissions, too many to comment on singularly though but I loved them all! Blown away by quite a few people.

santai – Welcome!!!! I jumped right in on challenges when I joined too! I had 2 weeks though on a much shorter, and probably much simpler song. Can’t wait to hear what you do in April’s challenge if you join in!

(If we have one. I hope Andrew’s ok…)

trivialcanine
    Participant

I have been a site member for a long time but have never entered a challenge and I would like to try. Is it required to sing?

nthibode

Thanks Andrew! Will do. I did see Katie’s singing tips and appreciated the visuals of flickering candles and air coming out the top like a dolphin. I also found this video to be useful for practice/warm ups (for anyone out there hoping to sing high):

Thanks for the kind words, fellow members! See you in the next challenge!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@trivialcanine – not required, but encouraged 🙂 But the March challenge is over, please join us for the April challenge: https://rockclass101.com/win-my-kanilea

coffeemug
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Andrew. I’ll definitely pay attention to my left hand form.

Andrew
    Keymaster

We had 28 members participate this month! Big congrats to each and every one of you! I loved hearing everyone’s performances and you guys did SO well! 🙂

So without further ado, the winner of this month’s challenge is ** drumroll **

null

Our April challenge is LIVE and we are giving away a Kanile’a Ukulele! Hope to see everyone in the new challenge: https://rockclass101.com/win-my-kanilea

P.S. I left feedback below for everyone that I hadn’t yet.

—-

santai – that was an excellent start and I’m so glad that you found us! 🙂 You’ve got a great base established for the intro, so what I would recommend to do is to follow the three steps for proper practice. I’d take 2 or 4 bars at a time, apply the three steps, and focus mainly on smoothing out your timing and transitions. Keep up the excellent work!

P.S. I can’t include you in the raffle, as the rules (laid out in the first post) state you must perform the entire arr.

karenj – Well done! Here is one suggestion for you.

robinboyd – Excellent rendition! Here’s the only thing that I noticed that I wanted to point out to you.

becky7777 – Way to go! Here is my feedback for you 🙂

timolnz – Great job! Here is my advice for you.

—-

@rpina61
    – no worries, take your time on it! Glad you got the Kanile’a at a sweet price 🙂

timolnz
    Participant

Thanks so much for the feedback Andrew…..will definitely work on softening the right hand as you suggested and hopefully it’ll show in the next challenge, very much appreciated, Tim. Congratulations erino7

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks Andrew. I’ll keep that in mind. I’ve just been practicing that bit over and over and I’ve been finding that my form is inconsistent, so I’ll try to get the correct form consistently from now on.

Interesting that you picked up on that point because I think that’s also where my fingering differs from Katie’s.

Also, the uke is actually a small-bodied concert. (It was sold as a concert and has more room on the fretboard than Tiffany’s soprano.) I find soprano ukes to be a bit constrictive.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.