Participate in the March 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Love Songs!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Love Songs!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    karenj
    Participant

Here’s my version of Spanish Romance. I’ve really enjoyed learning the song and also viewing all of the submissions. I spent half the month getting used to using my index/middle/ring fingers instead of thumb/index/middle, and now in the video I notice my right thumb is sticking up and seems to think it no longer has a job to do. I was too busy to participate in January and February and thus it was nice to push myself to submit something this month. There are still plenty of mistakes, but it is indeed nice to see some progress no matter how slow it often feels.

I hope you are all hanging in there with the pandemic and everything. Happy Spring!

Take care,
    Karen

terryfallon3
    Participant

Hi Andrew, sorry for the private setting. Unintentional, but maybe Freudian.

Anyhow, here it is:

qiuyan
    Participant

I recorded this take on Spanish Romance last weekend. I felt it was a bit rushed and I made a couple of mistakes, but I didn’t have much time practicing to improve more this week, so I’ll just use this one for the submission 🙂

And this is my first time using a piezo pickup taped on the ukulele to record it directly from line input and merging it to video, in order to cut out some loud noise in the background 😛 The video and audio are from the same take, and hopefully I’ve synced the them well enough…

(Edit: pasted the wrong video link initially…)

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by qiuyan.
    lisa-k
    Participant

Hello. I haven’t participated in a challenge for a while so thought I’d be brave and try L O V E with singing! Very nervous about appearing and singing on camera, and lots of mistakes particularly in bars 13 to 20. However, I really enjoyed practising this one. Thank you to Matt for his lesson on common mistakes. I’m trying to rectify mistake no. 1 from his lesson as it makes a huge difference, but I don’t always manage it.

deadbuggy
    Participant

I took a slightly different approach with LOVE and this includes a duet about a minute in with my neighbor’s lawnmower!

annemarie
    Participant

Wow! That was so good!

debb1985

@Deadbuggy That was lovely and full of pure joy!

themccoys
    Participant

This has been my favorite challenge song by far! It’s beautiful, and it’s neat to play with a bit more emotion/musicality in this style (although miles to go bc I’m still feeling really technically challenged clearly in some parts). Also wasn’t brave enough to try the rubato technique yet, but I’m determined to keep working on this song! But for these purposes, hopefully this will do. Thanks for a great choice this month Andrew!

richo_uke
    Participant

Hello everybody,

I’ve practiced a lot and I think that Spanish Romance is the one piece of music I play the best (so you have an idea of my abilities) but I only took two takes of me playing.
    So I’m quite happy with the result as I normally need 10 times as much takes and the result isn’t much better.

I know that there are many mistakes and I was surprised that the sound was a little harsh – I didn’t recognize that before recording.

Greetings from Germany
    Rici

AJ

Here is everyone on Page 5!

turkgoose – Great Performance! The only thing I would say to work on would be the arpeggio bits on the second and third strings. In a few parts the notes get a bit muted on those strings, So make sure you have your fingers placed on the string with enough force as well as making sure your fingers aren’t slightly touching the other strings causing them to mute. Everything sounded great otherwise!!

brettyboy – Fantastic! Very nice performance. Not much to say here other than keep up the good work!!

robinl – Great Job! Those chord changes are almost there, so keep up the great work. If you aren’t already using a metronome, I’d highly recommend it. Practicing with one consistently makes a world of a difference especially with things like chord transitioning. So keep it up!

ccwuke – Nicely done! Your rubato sounded very nice throughout the piece along with your vibrato! A personal style preference that I tend to do is to go back and forth with slower and faster vibratos through out the piece. I think it gives a cool variation to the sound. But that’s just how I play it. Great performance all around. keep up the good work and awesome Strat and Les Paul in the background!!

taylor22jane – Awesome job!! Very nice performance. Your technique and feel were consistent through along with your tempo. So great job and keep up the great work!!

marianne – Awesome job! Your rubato technique sounded great, and all the notes sounded very clear with a nice tone. Great job!!

stefanic10 – Great job!! Most of it sounded really nice, so just keep working on some of those chord changes throughout the piece. Practice it slowly and make sure your technique is good and gradually start building up the speed in the chord changes. You’re not far at all so keep up the great work!!

lhamilton – Great job!! I think the A section sounds fantastic, so I think the B section could use a bit more polishing. Basically the main thing I’m hearing is some notes being sightly muted and not ringing out fully. So just make sure your fingers are sitting on the strings properly especially when you’re further up the neck. Great job!!

lhamilton – Great job on this, too!! I would take some of the same ideas I mentioned on Spanish Romance and apply it here, too. There weren’t many muted notes on this one, so you’re almost there! Keep up the great work!

biancak – Awesome job!! I think you performed that very well. Keep up the great work!!

stianukulele – Fantastic job! Your picking technique sounds awesome and very smooth and consistent. Keep up the killer work!!

marlongas – Nicely done! Your rubato technique was really smooth and nice to listen to. Overall very great performance. Definitely keep up the good work!!

idarrow – Nice job! I would continue to work on the B section, and getting to sound as smooth as the A section. You’re not too far off, so just get down some of those chord changes and transitions and you’ll be there in no time. Great job!!

dividedsky
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Here is my submission of Spanish Romance. I love this piece and Steve’s arrangement of it for ukulele. After many takes, this is what I have at this point.

Jane

morrieuke1
    Participant

Another great lesson and arrangement-thank you Steven Warren!
    Spanish Romance – Arr Steven Warren

lhamilton
    Participant

Thanks AJ! I’ll keep working in both pieces. I really struggle with barre chords (and have worked through the instructions here) but am gradually getting better at them. I had real fun with the L-O-V-E on the little uke despite having trouble with the barres especially on the little uke.

Linda

biancak
    Participant

Thanks, AJ. x2 🙂

lizzieswolf
    Participant

I haven’t participated in a challenge in a while. But this month I really wanted to make it because I love the song Spanish Romance and Steve’s arangement for the ukulele is great! Unfortunately I cut my finger in the beginning of march and I wasn’t able to practice for a couple of weeks. So this is where 3 days of practicing got me. There are still some mistakes here and there (especially in melody B) an there’s definitely room for improvement on my vibrato technique. But I am proud of myself that I even managed to learn the song in such a short time.

Liz

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.