November 1, 2020 at 11:47 am #41680
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #44! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a Islands Series Ukulele! This concert sized model features the Hawaiian Islands inlayed on the soundboard in Pāua (Abalone) and retails at $1,834 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 2,000+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 Rock Class 101 Fantasy Songs:
1) “Puff, the Magic Dragon” * – Learn to play this iconic melody twice! Once fingerpicked and once strummed. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!
2) “Haunted Uke” * – In this piano and ukulele duet, you’ll learn a haunting melody that’s played alongside a rich, harmonic backdrop. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE! If you choose this song, you must perform to the piano backing track. The backing track REQUIRES Premium Membership to download it.
3) “Toss a Coin to Your Witcher” * – This song is featured in Netflix’s latest series, “The Witcher”. Originally a vocal tune, our arrangement is a fingerstyle adaption with an overwhelmingly haunting vibe. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!
4) “Dream State” * -This fingerstyle piece has a whimsical melody that harkens to the magic of classic Disney songs. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Don’t worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Puff, the Magic Dragon” OR “Haunted Uke”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Toss a Coin to Your Witcher” OR “Dream State”
3. Participation Goal: 100 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 Fantasy pieces anytime between Sunday, November 1st till Monday, November 30th, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our October Challenge: Triplet Strum Magic!
Second Chance: Participate in our November Challenge: Fantasy Themed!
Third Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On Christmas Eve (December 24th at 12 PM EST), I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of November and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
1) $1,834 Grand Prize! Includes:
OUR 4 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!
Islands Concert Ukulele
Deluxe Curly Koa body
Hawaiian Islands inlay on soundboard in Pāua (Abalone)
Tortoise front binding
Solid Mahogany neck
Ebony fingerboard, bridge, and head plate
Standard Kanile`a Crown headstock
Kanile`a open geared tuners
Ebony bridge pins
NuBone nut and saddle
Pāua (Abalone) position markers and logo
UV cured finish
Other Features: Includes a semi-rigid pro case by Music Arena
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!November 1, 2020 at 12:10 pm #41681lisadmhParticipant
And we’re off again!
@Andrew, for Haunted Uke, what if I harmonize it myself and work as much as I can of the piano part into the uke? Do I still need the backing track?November 1, 2020 at 12:14 pm #41682November 1, 2020 at 12:22 pm #41683sir_anzalotParticipant
As I already learned and showcased Toss a Coin to your witcher when I First started out here at RC, I think I might go for Dream State. Haunted Uke Sounds great too, but I’m much more interested in Solo pieces.November 1, 2020 at 12:24 pm #41684johanna2509Participant
Yay great song choices! I’ve already learned Puff the Magic Dragon, Toss a Coin to your Witcher and Dream State 🙂 The latter is one of my favorite RC101 arrangements, I play it almost everytime I practice.November 1, 2020 at 12:56 pm #41686samash07Member
I believe this is the first time I’m interested in attempting all those songs! Now to pick one. I could easily go for Toss A Coin since I was almost done with it in the beginning of the year….but Dream State sounds so awesome! Not sure if I could play it though.November 1, 2020 at 6:15 pm #41690ukandreaParticipant
I agree, not easy to choose which one to take. All sound great.
For Haunted Uke – would it be possible to get the piano notes as well to do a double recording of myself playing the piano and the Uke?
I did not try that yet, so it would be a super cool challenge.
AndreaNovember 1, 2020 at 7:15 pm #41691
Andrea, unfortunately that’s not something we will provide. But the chord voicings are listed in the sheet music if you want to give it a shot!November 1, 2020 at 8:17 pm #41692bdenham14Participant
I am a premium member! Here’s my Toss a Coin to the Witcher:November 1, 2020 at 9:06 pm #41694
@bdenham14 – I think this sums it up nicely:
What a fantastic start for the Nov Challenge. Well done, Brandon!November 2, 2020 at 11:10 am #41699mark1256Participant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
Here’s my November submission of Haunted Uke. This melody is great and I really enjoyed getting the backing track to play along. I hope we get more of these in the future.November 2, 2020 at 12:24 pm #41703November 2, 2020 at 3:12 pm #41706mark1256Participant
Thanks Andrew. I’ve been having problems with sustain, so I really concentrated on this.November 2, 2020 at 7:13 pm #41708
My pleasure! Everything sounded great on this one, incl. sustain 🙂November 4, 2020 at 1:56 pm #41744concanParticipant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everyone, i decided to play haunted uke. The rhythm was not so easy, but after counting several times i hope finally it is okay.
Here is my attempt
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.