Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    janett75

I am a premium member

Hi everyone
    I had a go at Haunted Uke this month. Thanks so much to AJ for such a lovely melody and to Andrew for the great lesson.
    Best wishes, Janet

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by janett75.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by janett75.
    schaap123
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Love the theme this month! Had fun learning dream state. The cat guest appearance in @deadbuggy’s version is so cute, clearly a catchy tune that all want to get involved in! I managed to get the sound louder this time, but now I managed to get the focus wrong.. oh well, maybe next month I will finally get all pieces of the vid right.

shann0potato
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Toss a Coin to Your Witcher

This is my first challenge. Thank you guys for everything, this site is great!

-SPK

Andrew
    Keymaster

@janett75 – Well done, sounds great Janet! So for single note vibrato, you want to move the note up and down, not sideways. Sideways is for chords. Check out this lesson for a more in-depth explanation.

@schaap123
    – Well played! So with your left hand, I’d recommend positioning your thumb slightly above the middle of the neck as opposed to where it is atm: floating above the neck. This will give you more dexterity with your fretting hand. Check out this lesson for a more in-depth look at proper left hand form.

@shann0potato
    – Here is my feedback for you and here is the lesson I referenced.

shann0potato
    Participant

Thank you so much Andrew! I have actually noticed more recently that my grip can get in the way of my movement up and down the neck, so this is very helpful! I hadn’t even noticed my fingers dipping under the neck, either. So thank you again, these are habits I will work to correct!

lisadmh
    Participant

I AM A DEDICATED PREMIUM MEMBER.

I did Haunted Uke, because I like the very different sound, but I have no use for duets since I play alone. So, I turned it into a chord melody by listening to the piano part and looking at the chords on the uke sheet. It’s not exactly the piano piece, but I think it holds together. I feel like I did something musical here. 🙂 It’s very new for me to be able to mess with things rather than just learn exactly what’s taught.

I’m sharing the version with the backing track (because I have to!!), but I’m more excited about sharing the solo version. And, in case anyone wants to know, I’ve attached the tabs to my chord melody version.

Thanks for another cool challenge!

With Backing Track

Solo

sir_anzalot
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey everyone! 🙂

I actually wanted to post this tuesday already but got hit with a serious case of the sniffles so no dice trying to record. Here is my performance of Dream State. Enjoy!

ukulelee
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

Wow, am I ever learning how much I need to learn! Thank you forbthese challenges. You are correct in saying they help in goal setting. This is a terrific piece.

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Thank you for listening,

Leone

misterbones
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here’s my entry for the November challenge. I ended up playing it a little faster than I really would have liked to for this piece. I’m somewhat new to recording myself and for some strange reason find it difficult to play really well while recording myself, I end up making mistakes I usually don’t make when practicing. Hope this effect will wear off as I get more accustomed to the process. Anyway, I guess I just wanted to get it over with after a dozen or so takes, so I kept this speedthrough version as my best recorded attempt.

cncamacho
    Participant

@deadbuggy love the cat visitor!

I am a premium member.

I chose to learn Toss a coin to your witcher this month — I’ve been wanting to learn it since it came out so this was a good excuse.

Still working on speed and perfecting it:

robinboyd
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

There. I remembered to write it.

It’s not perfect and I was thinking about re-recording tomorrow, but it will do for now.

Here is Dream State

sir_anzalot
    Participant

Thank you for uploading your Haunted Uke solo version @lisadmh 🙂
    I am not overly enthusiastic to learn songs which kinda only work over a backing track so I went ahead and saved your attachment to my backlog for when I crave to learn a spooky song.
    Cheers to you!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by sir_anzalot.
    laurakarr12
    Participant

I am a PREMIUM MEMBER

Puff the Magic Dragon

I get so nervous when I tap the record button, red light glaring at me, and it shows. Anyway, here is my entry.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@lisadmh – Bravo! Your creativity is inspiring! AJ and I loved it! Great job working in the harmony 🙂

@sir_anzalot
    – Fantastic performance and great feel in your playing! The only thing I heard was a couple hesitations, but overall bravo! And I’m glad you’re feeling better 🙂

@ukulelee
    – Thank you so much for the kind words, Leone! Your performance sounded great! The only suggestion I have is to try to memorize the music. It looks like he may have been reading while playing?

@misterbones
    – Ahh, sounds like a classic case of the nerves. When that kicks in, we tend to play faster. That happened to our drummer at this show, leaving me to play that crazy solo at a crazy fast BPM lol.

So your playing sounds wonderful, I’d just slow the tempo down so the music breathes a bit more. But you already know that. Keep up the great work!

@cncamacho
    – Well done! I think you’ve got a great base established, so from here I’d take one section and work on boosting the tempo. Master that section and then do the same with the next, then piece it together. This will help you build speed faster rather than trying to do the entire song at a boosted tempo.

@robinboyd
    – Playing sounds great, Robin! I’d suggest playing along with Stephen in the on-screen tab player. I think he tracked it to a click as his timing is spot-on. Playing along with him will help keep you steady. Break it into sections if you need to.

@laurakarr12
    – Sounds great, Laura! Keep working on the second section to get it to flow a bit steadier, but overall well done!

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks Andrew

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.