September 29, 2019 at 12:21 pm #30970AndrewKeymaster
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #31! Because of YOUR support, Rock Class 101 is celebrating our 6th anniversary on October 27th, 2019! It’s been an amazing journey and a tremendous honor to be a part of such a wonderful ukulele community; a community that feels much more like a family. Words cannot express how grateful I am, as well as our team, to be able to pursue our dreams of composing, performing, and teaching. We truly feel blessed.
As a small token of our thanks, we are teaming up with Kanile’a Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away $1,500 towards Designing Your Own Custom Kanile’a Ukulele!
I am also beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 1,200+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 Rock Class 101 Lessons (Theme: A Somber Halloween):
1) “The Sound of Silence” by Simon & Garfunkel – A timeless melody that flows elegantly onto the ukulele. This arrangement is perfect for the budding intermediate player.
2) “Sleep Walk” by Santo & Johnny – A somber melody that serves as a perfect challenge for the intermediate fingerstyle player. (REQUIRES LOW G UKULELE)
3) “Helen’s Theme” by Philip Glass * – Learn a spooky melody that’s perfect for Halloween! This song is the theme music from the 90’s horror movie, ‘Candyman’. * Taught in its entirety for FREE! (REQUIRES LOW G UKULELE)
4) “Danse Macabre” by Camille Saint-Saëns – A symphonic poem based off the French superstition, “Dance of Death”; in which Death appears at midnight every Halloween calling forth the dead from their graves to dance for him while he plays his fiddle.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “The Sound of Silence”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Sleep Walk”, “Helen’s Theme”, OR “Danse Macabre”
3. Participation Goal: 100 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 pieces anytime between Tuesday, October 1st till Thursday, October 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE. (ONLY for Base Model K-1 Prize. Continental U.S. Shipping fee will be collected by Kanile’a Ukulele if you choose the Custom Ukulele Prize.)
If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Kanile’a if you choose the Custom Ukulele Prize and Uke Republic if you choose the base K-1 Ukulele Prize. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our October Challenge: A Somber Halloween!
Second Chance: Participate in our November Challenge.
Third Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On December 24th, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of October and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
Grand Prize – CHOOSE ONE:
1) Design Your OWN Custom Kanile’a Ukulele! Includes:
* NOTE: Selecting this prize will require YOU to cover the cost of the options and features you choose, as well as, shipping and custom & duty fees. You will receive a $1,500 credit towards the final cost of the instrument. Please click the link above and play around with the configurator to gain an idea of what the instrument will cost with all options selected. But to give you an idea, a base model (K-1) soprano ukulele is $1,422. This includes a $300 custom shop fee over the production model K-1. This leaves you $78 in credit, which will most likely cover shipping. This ukulele will ship direct from Kanile’a and the remaining balance will be collected by them.
The configurator is only set up for tenor sized ukuleles. For pricing for soprano and concert size ukuleles, please call 808-234-2868 and ask for Micah. Tell him I sent you!
2) Your Choice of a K-1 Ukulele, ANY SIZE! Includes:
A) Kanile’a K-1 Soprano: $1,122
B) Kanile’a K-1 Concert: $1,227
C) Kanile’a K-1 Tenor: $1,331
* NOTE: This prize is available for those who do not wish to spend additional money on customizing an instrument. You will receive a base model K-1 ukulele in your choice of size. You are responsible for shipping, custom, & duty fees (see FAQ #5 above).
Body & FacePlate: SOLID HAWAIIAN KOA
FretBoard & Pin Bridge: ROSEWOOD
Head Stock: KANILE’A CROWN
Nut & Saddle: NUBONE
Tuning Keys: OPEN GEARED KANILE’A TUNERS
UV Finish: HIGH GLOSS
Strings: AQUILA SUPER NYLGUT (HIGH G)
Other Features: MOTHER OF PEARL INLAY ON FRETBOARD, INCLUDES UKECRAZY HARDSHELL CASE
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!September 29, 2019 at 4:30 pm #30985lisadmhParticipant
Woohoo, it’s challenge time!
I’m tempted by Sleepwalk as a stretch goal, but the Sound of Silence is 100% necessary in my repertoire so that’s what I’m doing. It’s rated beginner, so my goal is to have it super duper clean and relaxed(!!) and playable to an audience.
What a prize. I love these three month challenge stretches. There will be one happy and lucky winner at the end of it all.
As always, thank you Andrew and sponsors for making it so much fun to learn.September 29, 2019 at 7:04 pm #30987miztakenParticipant
Exciting few months ahead, The Sound of Silence for me too. It is so pretty.
I just had a look at the build your own Kanilea… $5,000 plus for my options ;D !!! Oh dear, I think I would have to pass on that…September 30, 2019 at 2:18 am #30991lyndallkParticipant
Very excited about this month’s challenge, and not yet sure which one I will tackle. I am not having any success in downloading the TABS. Seems there’s a bit of a new system of clicking on info within the video but that seems to only take me back to the same video page. Am I the only one having this trouble I wonder? I’ve tried on the tablet and the computer. Any thoughts?
LyndallSeptember 30, 2019 at 2:44 am #30992andracassParticipant
Wonderful!!! I hope not to win: it would be too difficult to choose the prize! 😀September 30, 2019 at 4:51 am #30994becky7777Participant
Lynda- I have never used the info inside the video, but it looks like Youtube just threw out some brand new changes. When the channel owner replies to a comment it’s showing up as “channel name replied to a comment.” I don’t remember seeing that a couple days ago. It had just shown there were replies. (Now “prepatch day” is stuck in my head… Man i’m a nerd. LOL!)September 30, 2019 at 4:59 am #30995santaiParticipant
Wow! Already time for the new challenge? I’m gladly looking forward to tackling “The Sound of Silence”!
It wasn’t too hard to decide: I don’t have a Low G yet, which leaves me with only two options. And as much as I admire Danse Macabre, I’m humbled by it’s perfomance. That’s definitely too advanced for me. ^^;
I’m also looking forward to hearing all your submissions!! 🙂
@lyndallk: I downloaded the Tabs for “The Sound of Silence” via the usual link below the performance video (https://rockclass101.com/secureaccess/content/f/id/434/). This worked fine for me. The info link within the video only took me to other videos, just like you described – but I might just have misunderstood what you meant?September 30, 2019 at 5:41 am #30996robinboydParticipant
Nice! I think I’ll do Sleep Walk, while still plugging away at Moonlight Sonata. Danse Macabre might be a bit tricky while I’m also working on another hard one, as much as Tiffany wants me to do it.September 30, 2019 at 6:02 am #30999robinboydParticipant
Working on Moonlight Sonata must have been good for me. I just played through the first page and a half of Sleepwalk before Andrew had finished the intro in the video. I feel like I have leveled up!September 30, 2019 at 8:47 am #31000olphartParticipant
Just watched the Disturbed cover of this. WOW!! Very powerful!
Don’t miss it on Youtube..
September 30, 2019 at 11:11 am #31004lakeside339Participant
Olphart – Disturbed – Holy cow! Now that is a Halloween version! (Thx)September 30, 2019 at 12:12 pm #31009lisamccParticipant
Wow – fab challenge and great selection of pieces! I’ve been working on Danse Macabre already – but the notes at the top on a concert uke are REALLY tricky!!! I might see if I can clean it up – but I’m definitely learning sound of silence and sleepwalk too!!! Busy month – bring on the challenge!September 30, 2019 at 4:39 pm #31017stinyukeParticipant
Andrew, will it be possible to learn Helen’s Theme with a Soprano? I have my low G on a Soprano and I noticed that one chords is going up to the 14th fret. I guess it will be possible to play the same notes on the lower parts of the neck?September 30, 2019 at 4:59 pm #31018September 30, 2019 at 5:38 pm #31019becky7777Participant
I started learning Helen’s theme. I think you must have used every keyword that would get my attention on this one when it came out. I’m unfamiliar with the movie, but it’s interesting as a song, and hard to get to sound creepy actually lol.
(I do have a question.) Are you ok with using a hammer on type thing to get those notes smooth after the first chord? I tried picado there but it changed into this because it was the smoothest way I could get the recorder thing with taxi. I’ve been playing the beginning to ending 1, since a day after release. It’s going to be really hard to change back at this point actually. As a lesson on picado, I’ve already been working on that technique though. I was using the theme to get something different. I have no idea what i’m trying to do, but I am, focusing more on finger alternation on this one though, just not right in that spot. I have to ask because it’s kind of a big change.
The end was awesome btw 👍😁 Hope your producer recovered lol. The other thing might require a photo on a soundcloud entry.
edited to add: casual Bee movie reference on helens theme. lol. Moved past that one super smooth btw.
- This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by becky7777.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.