Participate in the October 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a CUSTOM Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a CUSTOM Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Here are folks on page 19.

Four of you submitted past the deadline. I tried to give everyone a friendly reminder yesterday about the deadline. Unfortunately, deadlines are strict this year. I’m sorry guys.

—-

ukukelley1 – Great playing, Sheryl! The only thing I can recommend is to memorize it so you can focus on how you are playing it.

k_ra11 – Beautiful playing! I like the slow pace, it’s got a great laid-back feel to it. You’re playing is great, the only thing I can suggest is to work on the section towards the end, that’s the only part that was a little spotty. Other than that, keep rocking and thanks for the kind words!

lildevil – Great playing, Barbara! I see what you mean with memorizing issues. It sounds like you have the majority of the B melody down. So what I’m seeing is that you are struggling with the transitions of phrases in the A melody. Now this song is really convenient, because it breaks down into 2 bar phrases. So I’d be focusing on looping the transitions, which would look like:

Bar 1-2 (phrase 1)
    Bar 3-4 (phrase 2)

Practice bars 2-3 and 4-1. This will target the areas that you struggle with. Let me know how it goes 🙂

kirpuff – Way to go! Here is my feedback for you 🙂

puppylovesuke – First off, I’m amazed you can play it that well on a sopranissimo! Bravo! Second, I disagree with your comment at the end of the video. And that’s an honest response, not me trying to be polite.

Your playing is fantastic. Great Sound and the fact that you kept timing so consistent is extremely impressive. With where you are at in your playing, your focus should mostly be on expressive dynamics and accents. In the video feedback I shot for Sara right above you, I talked about implementing these aspects into the song. Check out my advice from that video, because it’ll be very helpful for you as well. Keep up the great work!

Andrew
    Keymaster

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED THIS MONTH! WE HAD 81 MEMBERS PARTICIPATE! YOU GUYS ROCK!

Stephen and I were truly impressed with everyone’s performances this month. These were TOUGH songs! And you guys rose to the challenge. I’m proud of everyone 🙂

Hope to see y’all in our November Challenge!

Here is a list of everyone who earned an entry for the giveaway. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

—-

deadbuggy
    deadbuggy
    nthibode
    nthibode
    nthibode
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    laurasil
    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    peiching
    laurakarr12
    laurakarr12
    joannetala
    joannetala
    brettboy
    brettboy
    brettboy
    barbecueblack
    barbecueblack
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    planetfink
    planetfink
    andrewvh
    andrewvh
    tastyshrimp
    tastyshrimp
    nosferatu
    nosferatu
    cyukug
    cyukug
    nerdjenni
    nerdjenni
    rickeymike
    rickeymike
    lisadmh
    lisadmh
    ripley
    ripley
    surfnrz
    surfnrz
    surfnrz
    fred21
    fred21
    jinajupiter
    jinajupiter
    jinajupiter
    karenj
    karenj
    karenj
    becky7777
    becky7777
    rpina61
    rpina61
    ealtman
    ealtman
    gstriph
    gstriph
    kanae926
    kanae926
    kanae926
    cauer2
    cauer2
    jazzitup
    brenna
    brenna
    suesbarn
    suesbarn
    morrieuke1
    morrieuke1
    miztaken
    miztaken
    miztaken
    wongbrown
    wongbrown
    ultramom
    ultramom
    mdugal
    mdugal
    tiff27
    tiff27
    coffeemug
    coffeemug
    annefgodfrey
    annefgodfrey
    annefgodfrey
    turkgoose
    turkgoose
    willymac
    willymac
    andracass
    andracass
    smudge
    smudge
    dubrova
    dubrova
    marni11
    marni11
    gaevdl
    gaevdl
    kellyblackburn
    kellyblackburn
    mac1984
    mac1984
    jonathan_gabel
    jonathan_gabel
    lisotta
    lisotta
    lisotta
    cyberloh
    cyberloh
    isabelm
    isabelm
    isabelm
    oldan_
    oldan_
    oldan_
    holly1
    holly1
    holly1
    stinyuke
    stinyuke
    yukalele
    yukalele
    lisamcc
    lisamcc
    mweir1
    mweir1
    joe150
    joe150
    ukukelley1
    ukukelley1
    k_ra11
    k_ra11
    lildevil
    lildevil
    kirpuff
    kirpuff
    kirpuff
    puppylovesuke
    puppylovesuke
    puppylovesuke
    timolnz
    timolnz
    alterin
    alterin
    mfaske
    mfaske
    mfaske
    givingtree89
    givingtree89
    givingtree89
    kcharles15
    kcharles15
    kelsey91
    ukuleleloo
    ukuleleloo
    jkulele
    jkulele
    gardn_gnome
    gardn_gnome
    chi-_-t
    chi-_-t
    chi-_-t
    santai
    santai

kirpuff
    Participant

Andrew, thank you so much for taking the time to help my playing! I really enjoyed this piece and will keep working on it and nail down the fingerings so I can focus more on your tips to keeping it consistent and adding musicality into it 🙂 thank you again for the playing tips and all you do on this site! It truly makes learning fun! Have a great weekend!

lildevil
    Participant

Thanks Andrew. I do tend to try too big a chunk at a time, but honestly this was mostly about not having time to memorize it. You know, the older we get, the longer it takes! Plus I still think we never quite get over chemo brain. Wasn’t proud submitting C- work when I know I can do better. But didn’t want to miss out like I did last month. I thought you’d get me on being off on the arrangement because I sometimes I was going from 1959 memory. And there was that little blurb at the end – couldn’t help myself. Again, high hopes for November…

becky7777
    Participant

Gads… I recorded this the same day I did Helen’s Theme. It’s not a performance, it’s me freaking out, doing something horrible with my mouth, really trying to play, then a sonicly loud helicopter came that the mic couldn’t register because of decibles or maybe bass range, so I feel even more nuts when the video can even hear me talk, then im all like ooo shiny!

I will all kinds of regret this, but no one told me the soundcloud picture of me playing in costume wouldn’t count.:(

lisamcc
    Participant

Thanks Andrew. One of my problems was that I did loads of drills and have been playing without music for ages – then when I went back to practice using the tabplayer, realised that I had distorted a couple of barres here and there – actually the easiest sections. I then tried to change those bits at the last moment, but was struggling against muscle memory – which made my performance a bit like a ransom note! Not my best – but I wanted to record where I was up to. Looking back at the recording, my ring finger is going bonkers – I had no idea. I’ll sort that thank you! My biggest problem was all those barre chords on the top frets on a concert uke – they were really really hard to get clear. My fingers aren’t huge but up there they feel giant! Thanks for your feedback – very helpful.

rickeymike
    Participant

LOL, Becky! To get rid of the potty mouth, record yourself saying “Dern It” then loop it and listen 100 times so it becomes part of your vocal chord memory. We need a new forum category for out takes.

rickeymike
    Participant

How can I get that 3rd entry?

lisadmh
    Participant

Rickey, you had to record in a costume. He snuck the instruction into the video. I missed it too, but probably wouldn’t have worn one anyway.

rickeymike
    Participant

Haha. Actually that was a brilliant snucky sneek. No wonder I saw videos of some who usually post only audio.

lyndallk
    Participant

I missed that too Rickey!! May have made the effort if I’d noticed!! 😁

Thanks for the feedback Stephen (many pages ago). I’ll take on working more on dynamics.

I’ve really liked listening to everyone’s postings.

mweir1
    Participant

Thank you Andrew for the feedback, I knew something was going wrong but couldn’t figure out what! I think I’d got an idea in my head of what it sounded like (which was wrong) and then couldn’t get away from playing that! I’ll definitely add counting rhythms to my practices and hopefully next months will be better.

timolnz
    Participant

Stephen ….Many thanks for your comments and tips, much appreciated. Tim

santai
    Participant

@Stephen: Thanks for your feedback! The rhythm in bar 26 is actually clear to me. It just so happens, that as I am approaching the end of a song, I start getting nervous when recording, hoping that I won’t ruin a good take on the last few seconds. ^^;

@Andrew
    : I only found my name twice on the list. I wrote that I am a premium member and hope, that my pumpkin mask and skeleton t-shirt sufficed as a costume? 🙂

rickeymike
    Participant

Santai, Definitely a good costume. Probably just an oversight.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 303 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.