Participate in the October 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a CUSTOM Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a CUSTOM Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@becky7777 – Yes, you can. But I like how Picado sounds much more.

becky7777
    Participant

Thank you😁👍 Guarntee you’re going to like it…. Well as much as.. Well… It will sound ok.

elixir
    Participant

Andrew can you tell me how to participate and can I send my chosen song in an audio form?

Andrew
    Keymaster

@elixir – Please read the first post in this topic. It answers your question. 🙂

robinboyd
    Participant

I more or less memorised Melody A of Sleepwalk from the tabs before looking at the video, and I found myself naturally switching between 4 fingers, 3 fingers, and just thumb for picking. Now I have started watching the video, that makes total sense!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by robinboyd.
    robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Andrew, the number of times I have asked these sorts of questions probably shows something about the way my brain works…

I started working on this from the tab before watching the video and I had been barring the first fret from the start of bar 7 so that it was easier to achieve the slide at the start of bar 8. In the video, you didn’t start barring until the slide. Is there a reason for this? I find it much more comfortable to have my hand ready for the slide from the outset.

I’ve also been playing around with the accented strum that you talked about. It’s a bit of a tricky technique so I’m not entirely sure that I will include it in my video at the end of the month. I’ll see if I have time to work on it properly.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@robinboyd – AJ and I played the Fm6 (1) as a 4 finger chord instead of barred. I copied him, as that felt way easier going into bar 8. You can do what you are doing, but his way was easier IMO.

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks. I’m now getting into all the options you present for the fingering in bars 15 and 16. It’s certainly got my mind working.

rickeymike
    Participant

Working on the chord transition in bar 4 from Gaddb9 to G5. gotta keep practicing that because of the short transition because of the 8th notes.
    Will need to do a stop and start review (over & over again, ha) of how Drew and AJ do that slide. At this point, I’m with Robin in not getting that 8th bar slide.

robinboyd
    Participant

@rickeymike – Actually, I’m managing it just fine. My question was because I started out working from the tab without reference to the video so I used a different fingering for bar 7. I was just asking if there is a good reason not to use that fingering. To paraphrase Andrew, I think he said my fingering is acceptable but the one he used is probably easier. Anyway, I’m going to stick to mine for now because it’s working for me, but I wouldn’t suggest that anyone else try it.

TLDR: The slide isn’t a problem for me.

rickeymike
    Participant

haha. I had to look up TLDR

robinboyd
    Participant

I remember having to look it up about a year ago, but it is pretty handy shorthand.

lisadmh
    Participant

Any of the other Sound of Silence folks stuck on an endless loop of Bb 565x to F 355x?

My fingers will get it eventually, I hope!

robinboyd
    Participant

I know that transition is doing Tiffany’s head in. I suspect I may have actually chosen the easiest option with sleepwalk.

johanna2509
    Participant

@lisadmh I changed the fingering for the Bb: I actually exchanged the three finger G chord shape with a barre chord G shape. I think it’s easier and faster to place one finger over three strings, than placing two fingers on different strings. For now this works fine for me, but I don’t know if there might be any reason not to do it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 303 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.