Participate in the September 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Songs About Food

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the September 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Songs About Food

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@biancak – That part is strummed with the island strum. The melody notes occur on beat ‘4’ and the ‘& of 4’. Which means, your hand should be coming down on beat 4, but instead of strumming, you would be plucking.

Either way, you should be moving down towards the A string, not up towards the G string. Try counting the rhythm as you play and making sure your up/down motion follows:

1 D
    & U
    2 D
    & U
    3 D
    & U

Motion down to:

4 Pluck
    & Pluck

biancak
    Participant

Sorry I meant the strum on the & of 3 is from string A to G, so when the plucking comes on 4, my fingers to pluck are not around A. The rhythm and D-U patterns of the strums are correct. The tiny break between the eighth notes (the & of 3 and 4 of 4) is simply not enough to be there for a proper plucking… Steven almost seems to be plucking the & of 3 strum to stay around with his hand for the melody note?
    So for me it is a choice between properly strumming and then almost missing the plucking. Or doing a shortened strum and be ready to pluck the note for the melody?
    Or I’ll just keep practicing at slow tempo to figure this out 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by biancak.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by biancak.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

You should have enough time to come back down to play those notes. Maybe your strum is too wide in its down/up motion? Or as you said, you need to work it up to speed. It’s hard to say without seeing you play it. Feel free to post a video if you want me to take a further look 🙂

biancak
    Participant

I think it is a combination of the 2. The strum is definitely wide 🙁
    I’ll have to go back to scratches and build it up from slow tempo again
    Thank you for the tips

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure!

@katazumiri
    – Sounds awesome! Great job 🙂

lyndallk
    Participant

Hi everyone – here’s my version of Pineapple uke blues! Such a great tune! Thanks for the chance to learn it.

bethany_guardiani
    Participant

I just had to do Chopsticks this month for all the childhood nostalgia…and this being one of two songs I could play on piano haha. The other one – which I would also love a ukulele arrangement of *wink wink* – was Heart and Soul.

Thanks for making me feel like a kid again! The uke version of this song is incredibly addictive to play. I took a few creative liberties with the video…I hope it’s not too much of a distraction from the playing itself!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@lyndallk – Way to go, Lyndall! Excellent groove throughout!

@bethany_guardiani
    – Great playing and I loved the video! Very creative 🙂

lhamilton
    Participant

This month I tried Pineapple Uke Blues —

Linda
    (I am a Premium Member)

Andrew
    Keymaster

@lhamilton – Bravo, Linda! This is one of your best performances I’ve seen! Only thing I’d say is, try to relax your right hand b/c it looks a little tense while you’re playing. But again, well done! Keep up the great work 🙂

lhamilton
    Participant

Wow! Thanks, Andrew! I was terribly nervous recording. My son tells me to relax too (he’s a guitar player). He keeps stressing the need for “jelly fingers” 🙂

Linda

shmu88
    Participant

Thanks Andrew and Chris for the reviews and tips! 🙂

karenj
    Participant

Here’s my version of Chopsticks for the September challenge. This was a fun song to learn and I added a couple of variations from when I used to play it on the piano. I had done the clawhammer lessons awhile ago and this month’s challenge was also a nice reminder to pick up my banjolele again.

Take care,
    Karen

gi_gi_
    Participant

I can’t believe I was able to finish this challenge. About a week ago I almost gave up. These challenges are so good for personal advancement. Thank you so much for them.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@karenj – Beautifully played, Karen! And those variations were tastefully done. Great job!

@gi_gi_
    – Excellent job! I’d like you to work on playing this song at the same speed that you did during the last half of the performance. But, do the entire song at that tempo. Even though you can play the first half much faster and in-time, it’s better to keep a consistent tempo throughout.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.