Home Page › Forums › Monthly Member Challenges › Participate in the September 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $549 Kala Ukulele
Tagged: Mango, Revelator, Summer Challenge, September Challenge, Ukulele Challenge, 2026
- This topic has 79 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 5 hours, 55 minutes ago by
leb397.
-
AuthorPosts
-
September 30, 2026 at 10:49 pm #84479
jody_hendricksonParticipantHi all,
I worked on the Travis picking lesson this month. Please pardon the errant note at the start–I was doing one take after another and didn’t leave enough space to get a clean edit with my pretty basic skills…
So many great entries this month, inspiring as always. And lovely to have Brett back!!
I am a premium member.
September 30, 2026 at 10:58 pm #84480
The_Bumble_BardParticipantWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, howdy there, ukulele friends!!
With only an hour and a half left of this month’s challenge, I’m coming in clutch! Is that a phrase? Welp, it is now. 😆
I learned, recorded, and am posting The Travis Picking Etude tonight! This has become my “new normal” with these challenges is waiting until literally the last day of the challenge to even start learning a tune, LOL. On one level, it’s really funny because of the pure chaos (of joining the challenges that way, but also life is chaotic, as well), but on another level, I know I’m not challenging myself with the music itself as much that way. I think it is definitely a skill I have honed even more is to learn songs very quickly, put them to memory, and attempt to clean them up. I didn’t even trim my nails for this one; that certainly didn’t help matters (not even on my left hand, fretting hand, whoops). I do love this tune. I struggled *way* more than I expected with the swing feel of this tune. I think I did okay with it, but that was definitely part of the struggle.
Oh yeah, and then a spider attacked me just as I was finishing up the tune – NOICE! 😆
I got to hear a few of the entries – some really amazing ones! @leb397 and @mysticrick, AMAZING job on that duet! I loved that so, so much. @otzepeng your take on St. James Infirmary was fiah (fire)! That had such groove, such swag. Can I say swag? Help me, lol. And @brettboy, so glad you’ve returned, you’ve truly made up for lost time with those tunes and so glad your wrist is doing better and better! I really loved the second Hawaiian tune you did the most (Loki Lani? Really hope that’s right – I’m so tired, lol), but they were all fun! And I caught little glimpses of a few of the others – all amazing, as always! 🥰
Admittedly, lately, I have gotten *very* into playing piano again, which was my first instrumental love. I’ve learned some tunes I never thought I ever could and am really challenging myself with that. But I think if I had not spent 5 years (is it 5 years?) playing ukulele, I never would’ve had the courage to try some of the things I am now on piano. I owe so much to the time spent in this community and the people here and the great education RC101 provides. And I still play my uke, but admittedly have spent less time reading tabs to learn new tunes. Not sure if that makes sense. But whenever I do it’s RC101 tunes or Matt’s arrangements on his Patreon and YouTube, lol. Good times…
By the way, I did end up finishing editing that book last month! I did the entire thing, almost, in one almost 9 hour sitting. I am definitely okay (maybe not). Thank you all for your encouragmement with that and my ongoing chaotic entries here, lol. I will try so, so hard to not start learning the tune on the actual last day of the challenge next month, but we’ll see.
Y’alls are the best! Please get blessed! 🥰
The still image is one of a flower I took a few years ago. 🙂 For some reason, the video editor made it look incredibly blurry, but the original photo is not (unintentionally), lol. Any respectable-ish photographer has to say that. 😉
Attachments:

825292530_10164988543327431_8202782390511593829_n.jpg
You must be logged in to access attached files.
October 1, 2026 at 12:04 am #84482takuan
Participant@mysticrick Thank you for the kind words. I really enjoyed your Misirlou performance too. You nailed the tremolo technique!
Yeah, at this stage of learning, I’m “forcing” myself to use the 4-finger approach to develop some dexterity and get a better feel for it. So far, I’m liking it, but I’m not committed to it yet, so I might give the 3-finger technique a try in the future.
October 1, 2026 at 12:07 am #84483takuan
ParticipantI’ve just realized that somehow I managed to delete a few sentences from my original post when I submitted it. What I was going to say is:
I found this Travis picking very interesting. It seems to be a very versatile technique that can work with many songs. Just switch the chords and voila. It makes things a bit more interesting than regular strumming.
So, thanks for this lesson!
-
This reply was modified 14 hours, 16 minutes ago by
takuan.
October 1, 2026 at 8:30 am #84485
leb397Participant@the_bumble_bard AGAIN, by the skin of your teeth. Glad you made it and nailed the Travis picking. Also amazed you finished your book edit last month.
Funny, I was about to fall asleep and thought, Bumblebard hadn’t posted? And this morning you made it. RC does care about our community ❤️.
Thank you for liking our duet. We practiced a lot.
I can tell you are very musical since you play the piano. You pick up a song so quickly.
Always enjoy your posts.So many great entries. The St James entries were crazy good.
Happy October everyone. Time flies.
Ps thanks @Andrew, love the Pathways course and have told others it’s a great way to learn/improve through music. ❤️ -
AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.