Nothin’ But Loops

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Nothin’ But Loops

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, you hide the struggle pretty well! πŸ˜… Yes, tweens and younger are probably the most tech-savvy of them all. I’m pretty sure my two-year-old niece is more tech-savvy than I am. πŸ˜‚ Thank you kindly! Yes, December. 😳

@gi_gi_
    yes! I wanted to ask @Andrew to perhaps create more looper-related material at some point!

surferjay
    Participant

@gi_gi Honestly, that’s such a kind thing to say. Not a lot of musical support from friends and family outside of β€œCan you not play that somewhere else hahahaha” so it’s nice to have positive feedback.

If Andrew wants to create some loop content I would loooooove a version of this:

surferjay
    Participant

Woke up.. saw the rain. Talked myself out of 🚲 and did some of this πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ’ƒπŸ»

gi_gi_
    Participant

@surferjay Oh you did a great job with that. Looks like you kept layering into the song. How cool.

Ok, I have an idea. How about you and @TBB and I and whomever wants to…..add looper songs to the suggestion post area. We have to get ask @Andrew to do a challenge month for all looper songs. That would be a cool challenge. I love the song, β€œEuropa” on the looper and the one Jay posted above. Honestly, I would love any song with the looper challenge. It would be nice to have a freestyle option one month as well. Free style using the looper and a certain scale. Wouldn’t that be great?

surferjay
    Participant

@gi_gi Thanks 😎. The loop is really simple it’s basically:

1. Am > Dm
    2. Hit the Uke a couple of times.
    3. Play any of the notes of the A Harmonic Minor Scale (link below).

https://ukulelescales.com/A-harmonic-minor

It would be awesome if there was a looper/freestyle monthly challenge. The only problem could be that we are the only 3 with loopers which would be great if the prize is a Kanelia πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Maybe we can ask Andrew for a freestyle challenge like you said so you can tie the challenge to the application of the lessons learned in the theory course on the site.

It will be cool to have a monthly challenge tied to the courses as well as the songs on the site πŸ™πŸ»

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, that was so, so good! I have more rambling to do later but I’ve run out of time for now. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜…

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb πŸ˜πŸ’ƒπŸ»πŸ˜πŸ’ƒπŸ»

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_, it’s defs a great idear to ask if more looper songs could be added and or perhaps included in a monthly challenge as an option one month (though I think they did include Sirius in one?)! Ha yes I was thinking the same thing as @surferjay that we’re the only three with confirmed loopers. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜…πŸ’•

I asked Andrew about that early on when I joined the site, and they did have one challenge with original songs. I hope they do that again because that’s something I like to do too. But that could maybe be more freestyle like Jay does, though I can’t do that yet. Still learning the scales from various sources including here and one of Matt Dahlberg’s videos. πŸ˜… Because it’s really hard for me to learn without physically seeing something done, as opposed to just reading the tabs for scales.

I defs want to try that chord combo you got there, @surferjay! It sounded really, really nice. Have you ever plugged a microphone into your looper / amp, out of curiosity, while using the looper? I have a microphone now. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…πŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆ

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb By far (in my limited opinion πŸ˜‚) the best thing you can learn to get involved in a bit of freestyle is:

1. Intervals (what they are). You just need a really basic understanding of this.

2. C Major Scale.

If you learn the above 2 the entire world opens up as every other scale is built out of it. For example the scale above Harmonic Minor I didn’t learn a new scale I just changed one note in the scale I know (Major Scale pattern) and you get that Flamenco sound.

To learn the Major scale you need to learn 5 patterns which connect together (they overlap so the start of one is the ending of another).

I would learn one pattern – play it with a backing track going up and down the scale and then add another pattern.. when you get to the fifth pattern it connects back to the first… so you could have a fretboard 1 mile long and you can improvise all day using those same 5 patterns.

If you want I can post the 5 patterns I use πŸ™‚

I have an input for a mic but I’m not much of a singer πŸ˜‚ If I was I’d definitely have one! I think the Uke would sound great through a mic also.

Let’s here some vocals πŸ™πŸ»

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by surferjay.
    gi_gi_
    Participant

Yes @surferjay Please post the 5 patterns you use. I have time this month because I’m doing Chopsticks and I am pretty much done with it.

surferjay
    Participant

Not sure if this is clear enough.

gi_gi_
    Participant

Thanks @surferjay. You’re a good Teacher. I know the C scale but I was intrigued when you mentioned 5 patterns that connect together. It’s probably more simple than I’m imagining right? What are the 5 patterns you were talking about? Thanks forthe video. Sounded like waves in the background. Nice.

surferjay
    Participant

Sooo.. The Major scale has 5 patterns. That is pattern 1. The next pattern starts 2 frets up and connects to the first one and so on..

Do you know pattern 1 or all 5 ?

If you know all 5 then you can 1000% improvise. If you don’t know the second one I’ll upload it and show you how to connect it to the first.. you can improvise with just those 2.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, please do share the five patterns and how they connect! I’m very interested to see that. I’ll be able to reply a bit more this eve. This week has just been pretty cra’y for me. πŸ˜…πŸ˜­πŸ˜…

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, so, to say a bit more, I actually did get as far as learning the first pattern of the C major scale that you just filmed, but like @gi_gi_ , I am intrigued to know the five patterns and how they connect. It looks like that might be covered in the theory course on here which is good but I’m just curious what it would look like if you played all five patterns together straight through.

Oh, and the singing for me is questionable. It’s not going to be like when @robinboyd burst out of nowhere with his golden Phantom voice. πŸ˜‚ I may try a few things that way, but I wanted to add in some percussion through the mic and try using my acoustic ukes with the looper through the mic. It may take some doing to figure that out (for me) since clearly I’m a tech genius, πŸ˜‰πŸ˜… and not sure if it will work, but I want to try it!

Thank you for your well thought out posts and for posting videos in these discussions. Much appreciated, friend! 😊

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.