Nothin’ But Loops

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Nothin’ But Loops

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    surferjay
    Participant

Sooo… I think everyone knows the shapes… If not I can post a link to them…

But here is an example of how they fit together once you’ve learnt them..

surferjay
    Participant

This was played with only the first 3 shapes.

gi_gi_
    Participant

Whoah!Ok, I think you just unlocked an entire world to me. I am not familiar with the second or third shapes. That’s phenomenal. I will search for them on you tube I guess. Unlessnyou want to post the second shape here. Did you just start with the D note instead of the C for the second shape? Thanks so much.

gi_gi_
    Participant

Thanks Jay @Surferjay. I found this on YT. I’m working on it now but I’m not paying attention to the G string for now because I only have my high G uke with me right now. Thanks a lot.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by gi_gi_.
    surferjay
    Participant

That’s a great video! All the info is in there. If you learn that your 90% there.

Exactly 🙂 Started with the D on the second shape.

To give you an example of the world it opens up.

1. Take one of the shapes move the same shape up 2 frets your playing in key of D Major. Up again 2 frets in the key of E major. You can now play any key.

2. If you can play any of the Major Scales they all have a relative minor. So you can play by default in minor scale by changing the starting note to the keybof the minor.

3. Change one note of the minor scale for instance in a minor change g# your playing flamenco (that’s all I do in the video)

Lots of value 🙂

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, @gi_gi_ this is all so neat! It’s really cool to see that the scales all connect–and really cool to know that you can take the same shapes and move them up two frets to transpose. I know a bit about scales and intervals from playing piano, but my struggle has been understanding how those scales are laid out on the uke. But it really just seems to be a matter of learning the scales and seeing the patterns like you illustrated.

Another goal I have for this coming year is to finish a good chunk, if not all, of the courses on here. I keep getting distracted (…by myself mostly). 😅😂

Also, I found both your posts funny in the live lesson thread but forgot to react there, then I felt too awkward to react later–but now I am. I’m neurotic… 😉😅

Anyway, thank you so much for filming that, @surferjay! 😊💕

gi_gi_
    Participant

This is just the best thing ever! I am so grateful @Surferjay because unless someone shares these things with you and instills the confidence you need to give it a try, you may wait too long when you could’ve had it all along. Thanks a lot! I’m so excited….

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb When nobody reacted to my joke on the live lesson I was thinking ooops people didn’t get my English (sarcastic) humor. Which is fine of course but then I thought hmmm people will think I was serious haha

@gi_gi what you said is so true. You just need someone to share the information and explain how to apply it. I’m also learning but any questions just ask and I’m looking forward to your posts when u get it down 😎

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, haha! Well, I found it funny. I’m quite fond of British humour and all humor, like most humans that exist. 😅 Normally I try to reply to other people while interjecting my own foolishness, but I failed that time then felt awkward, like I was interrupting. I don’t want to assume too much, but I feel like you and I both struggle with some social anxiety after we write here. Well, I struggle with that in general, in life. It’s all okay though. 😊

@gi_gi_
    that’s so true! Sometimes it makes all the difference in the world just to have one person encourage you. That’s how I’ve felt so much from this site from the instructors and you, my faraway uke friends. I’m grateful for that. 🥰

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb When I buy “The Ukulele Site” I’ll fly you and Gi_Gi_ in so we can make a podcast 😂 Yup I definitely worry to much after I post. Especially when I refresh and notice my name is the latest comment on every forum post haha 😂😂 It is what it is 😎

gi_gi_
    Participant

☺️ @tbb and @surferjay

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, hahaha sounds like a plan! 😅 But since I don’t really have the authority or knowledge to talk about………….. most things, let alone ukulele, I’ll continue to be the bumbling sitcom side character on the (hypothetical) podcast that I seem to be in the rest of my life. 😉😅 Hahaha that happened to me once too and I was like, “girl, you done now.” But yeah it’s all good. 😊

recdog
    Participant

That’s a good video @gi_gi_! I can almost see how Corey F. is thinking in those chord shapes when doing his amazing leads on the ukulele site podcast jams. I look forward to those video podcasts every week and get most of my jamming practice then. Nothing like Corey’s shredding or how Kalei is so good at listening and adding a perfect compliment, but still good practice. There is always something new to master in the ukulele world.
    thanks,
    Ron

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb Maybe we’ll let Corey & Kalei play the ukes and we can play some tambourines in the background 😂

@recdog
    I love watching Kalei as you said add the right chords/melody/harmonies when Corey plays the guitar. They are both true masters of their craft. There is one video where it’s just an hour or so of their duets. Most of the views are probably me 😂

I’ve noticed a lot of Corey’s play style also comes from the Guitar. There is a rendition of Autumn Leaves they play together and they are both playing lots of arpeggios over the chord progression. There is not a lot of Uke content in regards to this but Paul David (YouTube guitar guy) has an awesome video on arpeggios for guitar which translates to the Uke if you mess around with it a bit.

Like you said there is always something new to learn 👨‍🏫☕️

surferjay
    Participant

Master Class. Inspiring us all to quit ukulele 😂😂😂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.