Nothin’ But Loops

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Nothin’ But Loops

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Hello friends!

I finally got a pretty okay recording of me playing with the looper I purchased a couple weeks ago!

It was way more of a learning process than expected–And still very much a process. Even after watching the videos you sent, @gi_gi_, all the help from @surferjay, AND reading the instructions that came with the looper, I still managed to:

— Plug the looper into itself instead of the amp or ukeΒ 
    — Have the looper on the wrong setting for the first hour of using it
    — Try to play sitting on the floor, pressing the pedal with my hand because I didn’t want to press the button with my foot, but in the end I had no choice lol

So many foibles, so little time! But this recording turned out okay and imma keep working on it. πŸ™‚Β 

If anyone else wants to post their loops here, feel free, of course! Thanks for listening! πŸ™‚

gi_gi_
    Participant

Oh my I was so excited for you. You did amazing! @Surferjay has competition now ☺️. Keep it up.

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb😍 Well, that was incredible and heart warming.

I actually laughed out loud with your looper antics. The learning curve is steep! You already have the two most important skills down… Timing & the ability to break down a song and build it back up in loop sections.

Don’t think I have competition 😜 Just gained a mentor πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

gi_gi_
    Participant

@Surferjay Didn’t she do well? ☺️ She has the hardest part down like you said. Now she can build on it. It made me smile. @TBB I will post a looper thing soon but time flies so more like January ☺️

surferjay
    Participant

@gi_gi_ I was very excited to hear it. Was actually going out the door but wasn’t back to get my earphones.

It was awesome 😍

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

You guys, I can’t even, man! You’re gonna make me cry! Thank you!! I feel so dang encouraged and even more amped up to try more loops!! πŸ˜…πŸ˜­πŸ’•

@gi_gi_
    , I so look forward to hearing your loops when you get a chance! Can’t wait! 😊

@surferjay
    , you’re so dang kind, man! I smiled so much at your guyseses’ encouraging words! With the timing, the trickiest part was figuring out when to push the pedal button so there wouldn’t be a pause at the beginning / end of the loop. I thought pushing the button was counted as a “beat,” but I think maybe it ends the loop instantly. Not sure if that makes sense. But the time it takes to press the button is obviously a factor. Still working on figuring that out.

So excited to try more! When I do, I’ll share them here! Thank you guys again! πŸ˜ŠπŸ’•

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb Making the first loop is the hardest part (I think) as often there is that pause or some type of inconsistency.. Easiest fix is not to upload those videos haha.. On a serious note to fix it πŸ™‚ Say the chord progression is C G Am F 4/4 if you are doing down strums it would look like this:

C C C C G G G G Am Am Am Am F F F F

So to add in the looper and make the loop seamless yoouuu… At the same time you do the first down strum on the C (the first C) you press the looper with your foot at exactly the same time. As if the strum and the foot press were the same thing. Then you strum all of the above C C C C G G G G bla bla

BUT (and this is the important part) after you’ve played the last F… Press the looper to stop the loop BUT also play the first C at the same time as you are pressing the loop pedal. You don’t want to hear the first C as an extra note in the chord progression as that would make it F F F F C (which would also sound odd) but playing the C as you stop the loop blends it all in without the pause.

It’s easier to demonstrate probably so if I’ve done a bad job of explaining let me know and I’ll make a video.

After the first loop you can literally press the looper at anytime as the timing of the loop has been set. So for the second loop what I used to do (which was really hard) was press the looper at the same time the the first loop was ending and then try to play the first note of the second loop which is to many things going on. Soooo what I do (and this may not be correct but it works) is press the looper before to record before the first loop ends and then play the first note of the second loop when the first loop starts… I can then end the loop whenever I want as well as the first loop has already set the timing of the loop.

Probably have not explained that well either so let me know.

Looking forward to more Loops πŸ™‚

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, I’m almost confident that I know what you’re saying. I’ll have to give that a whirl and see if it gets rid of the pause. Obviously it wouldn’t hurt if you had time to make a video to demonstrate, too, but I’m almost confident that I get ya. Thank ye for that explanation! 😊

That’s why I kept the first part of the loop so simple, with single notes, just so I had a better chance of getting the timing right. Also that’s how I had it in the arrangement I made that this loop was based on: starting with single notes and building to more complicated ……. Things. Even though I know it’s not 100% accurate to the original song, still working on that.

Anyway thanks for explainin’ all that, friend! 😊

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb Had an hour this morning and took my new reverb pedal for a test drive. For some reason my phone didn’t like the base notes so there are some sound issues but lots of foot action on the loop pedal πŸ˜‚

leb397
    Participant

@surferjay very soothing. Enjoy your posts. πŸ™‚

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, that was so dang good, man! So inspiring to see your loops. I’m almost confident that reverb is the echo-y effect, right? So neat! It sounds like something that would be in the show Firefly, if you know what that is (R.I.P.). It’s basically a sci-fi show / movie about space cowboys. πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

Thank you for sharing that! I’m so inspired and hopefully can add some more loops soon too! 😁

@leb397
    , every time I see your posts I think about a.) how cool and tech-savvy you are, and b.) chocolate covered raisins because that came up once that we both like them. That is all. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚

surferjay
    Participant

@leb397 thank you, that was a lovely thing to say πŸ™‚

@tbb Thank you loop buddy 😍 I have not seen firefly’s.. but it’s definitely like being immersed in a sci-if movie πŸ‘½πŸ›ΈπŸ‘Ύ

Going to try and find the time to make a Careless Whisper loop. Looking forward to your new instalments 😎

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, am I confused (again) or is that Linkin Park? That was bothering me so much earlier because it sounded so familiar but I couldn’t place it. Either way, it’s so cool, listening to it again now!

It still sounds like it’s from a good sci-fi movie. πŸ˜…

Looking forward to that when you get a chance and hopefully I can get some even neater loops going, loop friend! πŸ˜‚πŸ’•

leb397
    Participant

@the_bumble_bard if you only knew the struggle πŸ˜†. I try. Wish more players shared their tech. OR need to hangout with some tweens. Enjoying your β€œloopy” journey
    On to December! Louisa

gi_gi_
    Participant

@Surferjay Wow you are so,cool. I really need to do this if I’m going to ever become a real,player and not just copy notes off of a paper. This is pushing me loser. We have to ask @Andrew to make a month where we have to do something like this in order to get to the next level.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.