Participate in the April 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a Ukulele

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a Ukulele

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    gonzo-fett
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I will try harder next month. This was the best take 🙁
    Thank you for including an easy but fun one this month, it sure did help with the short amount of time I had to complete it.

alysun1
    Participant

Sooo I found out about this a few days ago. It’s pretty rough but not terrible considering. Definitely need to work on my transitions and clarity. And pinky strength.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/MZketdzzXoBLnhms6

nelsonlin2021
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I picked Prelude in C for my 5th monthly challenge and it’s the most difficult piece I have ever done and I almost gave up while learning the 2nd measure. I persevered and it was very rewarding experience as I learned so many new chords. I did slow the tempo down but still made a bunch of mistakes during chords transitions. I plan to continue practice this piece until I can play it flawlessly one day.

Thanks Steven for arranging it so beautifully. Any feedback is appreciated.

Nelson

maryjanew
    Participant

I am a Premium member

I’m sorry but I’ve had many family and work obligations this month, along with a old dog at her end. I can count on one hand the hours I was able to work on this song. I haven’t had much time to pick up my Uke much at all and it makes me sad.
    I want continue with this song AND learn Stephen’s Bass part but it didn’t happen this month. 😣
    Here is my feeble attempt at Minuet in G.

puppylovesuke
    Participant

Waltz in C

Premium member

qiuyan
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here’s my take on Minuet in G played along with the backing track. Thanks for the arrangements of these classical pieces.

jeg143
    Participant

I am a premium member, not sure if I need to say that. This is my first monthly challenge.

wongbrown

Hi Andrea, thanks for the advice on unwanted sound. Yes, I remember that is the trick to mute the string. I can do it sometimes. If I am changing chords too quickly and my right hand fingers are busy doing the picking then I don’t have time to mute the sound. I think it’s my lack of practice:-( I’ll certainly try and also review Andrew’s lesson.

Thanks again. Have a nice day!

Sheila

lhamilton
    Participant

I forgot to add to my entry that I am a premium member

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 5.

—-

moonshine – great job! There were a few notes that you held out a little bit longer than what’s notated in the music. Therefore, I’d recommend playing along with Stephen and I in the tab player. That’ll help smooth out any timing issues.

And don’t be afraid to give the picado technique a shot 🙂

shmu88 – it was amazing Sam! I was honored to share it in our newsletter 🙂

P.S. Don’t forget to add the premium member tag to your next challenge post.

peiching – Thank you for the kind words and your performance was beautiful. Check out our harmonics course for help with that technique.

tim0721 – Here’s my feedback for you 🙂

casadot349 – Bravo, that was amazing! The biggest tip I can give you is to work on timing. And one of the best ways to work on that is to play along with the tab player. Evan’s playing will act as a guide to help keep you in check. And try to tap your foot along and sway to the groove of the band as you play. That’s another good way to feel the beat.

katazumiri – That was amazing! Keep doing what you’re doing and slowly push yourself to build the speed. Keep up the great work!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 6.

—-

ajk101 – Well done! Playing sounds great, only thing I’d say is that there’s a section in the B Melody that was a tiny bit rushed. So just work on timing in that part. And keep up the great work!

Also, bring down the level that you’re recording at. It’s sounding a bit like it’s clipping (at/above the max).

ldarrow – Sounds great, Linda! Love to see when you guys challenge yourself 🙂

Nothing to really critique. Keep practicing and keep up the good work!

gstriph – Playing sounds great, Jerry! To answer your question, I’d play along with the bass track with the metronome on throughout. Tap your foot as you go along and try to focus more so on the click than what the bass is doing. I’ll email you this play-along track 🙂

biancak – I love the contrasting feels. Great idea and great playing!

kdeacon7 – excellent first challenge post! Playing sounds great! Here’s one tip for working on timing. Switch the tab player into synthetic mode and activate the metronome. Take one section at a time and loop it. Slow it down to whatever speed you need and try to tap your foot along as you go. Repeat for the next section (ignoring the ritardando). And when you feel comfortable with that, start to gradually boost the tempo.

rafaela – Beautiful playing. Very impressive!

brettboy – Killer groove, so much fun to watch! Great job, Brett 🙂

lynnzo – Beautifully played, Lynn! Keep up the great work 🙂

joe150 – Bravo, Joe! This is the best performance I’ve heard from you to date. Keep up the excellent work!

kidelozzi – Here’s my feedback for you 🙂

lyndallk – Beautifully played with great feeling and interpretation.

marygrace – I did see your note for me on this forum post, and it was my pleasure! You played it beautifully and I was honored to share it 🙂

jbmills07 – I love how you added a stronger feel for the C Melody. Doing that really breathes life and emotion into these performances. Overall it was excellent, the only thing I’d suggest is to use the middle (4th string) and ring (2nd string) to grab the Gm/C7. That’ll make the switch back and forth to F easier. Keep up the excellent work, Justin!

nelsonlin2021
    Participant

Hi Andrew, this is not a new submission of April Challenge but a slightly improved performance (take 2) over my previous submission on Prelude in C. It still has many mistakes and inconsistent rhythms but I’m sharing again to get feedback. Thank you!

ajk101

Thanks for the feedback Andrew! There is a lot to learn with recording but I know you have a whole course on that which I will check out now.

Stephen

Here is everyone on page 7:

bibilele – Very nice job on this one! Although there were still a couple of hesitations, your form, the notes, and the rhythm were very solid on this one. Great job!

lbilkie – You played this one very nicely! Your timing was good throughout, and all of the notes sound great. On Melody C, the strums might benefit from a slightly more accented strum to really get the intensity of that section. Your performance sounds great as it is, this just might add to the emotion slightly.

lynettejd – Great job on this, you are doing a good job with the timing and feel. Now is a great chance to work the song up to full speed! Keep up the great work!

kpurdy – You are off to a great start! With the right hand, try to bend the wrist less and mimic the posture Andrew has in the performance and lesson video. You may have to hold the ukulele a bit differently to achieve this, but it will be worth it to avoid wrist pain in the future. Then, notice that he alternates the plucking fingers – especially when playing several notes on the same string. Working on this technique will help you to play smoother and faster. You’re doing a great job, keep it up!

ukulelee – That was very nicely played, and you have a wonderful sound through that ukulele! I’m very impressed that you can play that smoothly with the thumb even on the faster passages! Just for an added challenge, try imitating Andrew’s right hand on the performance. This would just be for fun, as you can already play this one very well!

debb1985 – This piece sounds lovely on the baritone! You have a great feel, sound, and technique on this one. The stretch at 0:57 is a tricky one, and it may not be a bit too far. I would change where I’m playing the notes on that one to adjust it for the baritone rather than overstretching: 7th fret on the fourth string (instead of 2nd on the 3rd string), 5th fret on the 3rd string (instead of 1st fret on the 2nd string, and leave the 5th fret on the 1st string. It may be tricky to switch positions quickly for this, but I think it’s worth it. Excellent job on this one!

kmoore925x – Very nicely done! I did not hear the hesitations you mentioned, and it’s great that you played it at a speed you felt comfortable with! That is the best thing to do rather than make mistakes at full speed. You’re doing a great job, and the “yay” at the end cracked me up.

sarrafina – Excellent job! That was quite a quick tempo and a great performance! The vibrato on the last note was very professional as well. Keep up the great work!

wongbrown – You are doing a great job on this tricky piece! I think starting at a slower tempo would help you get through the harder passages a bit smoother. One way to figure out a good starting tempo is to warm up with the trickiest passage and use the tempo you can play it comfortably at as your starting tempo. Keep up the great work!

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 8:

mark1256 – Very nice job on this one, even on the artificial harmonic at the end! You played this one very well. On the measures with a ritard, I recommend giving them just a touch more time after the last note almost as if there’s a fermata as well just to let the song breathe just a bit more. Excellent work on this one!

leb397 – You are doing a great job on this, especially with the added challenge of playing along with my bass part! At times you were getting slightly ahead of the bass, but you managed to slow back down every time. A louder speaker to play the bass from might help a bit. You stayed in sync with the track better at full speed, but being able to pace yourself at slower tempos is a great skill to work on as well. Great job on this!

sir_anzalot – That was an excellent take on this classic, even with the hiccups. Your plucking technique is very clean, and you kept a very nice pace throughout the piece. You did a wonderful job!

joannetala – Very nicely played! The slow pan on the video was a nice touch from an editing standpoint as well. You played this with very good timing overall. On Melody B, try isolating the first 4 measures of this section and play through with a metronome a few times to have a more relaxed feel. You’re doing a great job, keep it up!

dianna – You are off to a good start on this one. You have decent technique and the notes sound great. Now it’s time to work on the timing and overall feel of the piece. This piece is in 6/8 time, which means the rhythm is counted a bit differently than 4/4. For now, I would play to the tab play along at a slower tempo to internalize the feel of the song, but it may help to go through the rhythm portion of the beginner course to really understand the rhythm. You’re doing a great job, keep it up!

jlbross – Very nicely done! The notes sound good, and your timing is very good throughout! There are a few technique things that will help you to avoid injury in the long run: Your left and right wrists could both benefit from staying a bit more straight while playing. Watch how Andrew plays in the original video, and check out the posture part of the course. You are doing a great job, keep it up!

gi_gi_ – Excellent job! Keeping the backbeats througout those difficult passages is not easy! I can tell you’ve worked incredibly hard on this, and all of your hard work is paying off. Keep slowly increasing the speed and you’ll get to full speed one day not too far off. Keep up the great work!

lhamilton – You are doing a great job on this one! It is very hard to memorize, as the rhythm is the only constant in the song. If you memorize all of the names of the chords you are memorizing it can come in handy when you see these chords on other pieces. My only advice to playing it smoother is just to play the piece at a slower tempo at this time. You’re doing a wonderful job!

felixchan – You are doing a great job on this one. Your timing and notes are very consistent! My only suggestion is to really exaggerate the ritards both times in measure 12 to recreate the correct feel for the song. Very nicely done!

cimarronsailor – You played this one very well in spite of your injured finger! I noticed that you have a bit of a swing 8th note feel in there, meaning that you are playing the first note of each 8th note grouping longer than the second. This sounds good, and I personally like it, but it is not in the original. I wanted to mention that difference in feel in case it wasn’t on purpose. Great job on this one!

pysanky – Excellent job! You played everything very well and had a great sense of how much to slow down on measure 12 to keep the flow natural. Great job on the artificial harmonic as well!

mkstewart67 – You have a very nice sound and a very nice flow to this one, and the notes sound great! The timing is a bit different than the original even though it sounds nice the way you changed it. To make it a waltz, it has to be in 3/4 time. Your rendition turned it into 2/4 time with a slightly altered rhythm. Try playing along with the original and you will probably notice the difference very quickly. Your notes and technique sound great, so I know you’ll get the hang of the waltz feel quickly! Keep up the great work!

followmemae – You are doing a great job on this one! Measure 29 through the ending just need a tiny bit more work on the rhythm, and you’ll have the song down. You are off to a great start, and your notes sound very clear.

antotonin – Awesome job! This is a very difficult piece, and you are extrordinarily close. You understand the rhythms and the notes, and you have a great idea of where to change hand positions, so you are 95% of the way there! Now it’s just fine tuning and nailing the last section. Excellent job on this one!

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 196 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.