Home Page › Forums › Monthly Member Challenges › Participate in the April 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a Ukulele
Tagged: 2022, April Challenge, Classical, Kanilea Platinum, Master Grade Koa, Prelude in C, Spring Challenge, tenor, Ukulele Challenge
- This topic has 195 replies, 109 voices, and was last updated 10 months, 1 week ago by sarahd.
March 31, 2022 at 1:18 pm #51330
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #61! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an INCREDIBLE Kanile’a 2021 Platinum Ukulele! This tenor sized model is crafted with Master Grade Koa wood and retails for $6,000 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 3,100+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 5 RC101 Lessons:
1) Waltz in C (no. 2) * – A classical waltz with a charming melody that serves as a perfect study for practicing chord transitions.
Note: Requires Low G ukulele.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
2) Minuet in G * – One of the most popular classical melodies ever written. We’ve arranged this piece as a duet for Low G ukulele and U-Bass.
Note: Requires Low G ukulele. Playing along with the U-Bass backing track is OPTIONAL.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
3) Andante No. 2 – This classical piece consists of three beautiful melodies that help build dexterity in your left and right hand.
Note: This arrangement is for Low G ukulele, but can be played on High G.
4) Prelude in C – Learn one of the most beautiful piano compositions on ukulele.
5) A Fifth of Beethoven – Classical meets disco and funk in this arrangement which features a full band backing track.
Note: Playing along with the backing track is OPTIONAL.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Don’t worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Waltz in C (no. 2)” OR “Minuet in G”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Andante No. 2” [INTERMEDIATE], “Prelude in C” [ADVANCED], OR “A Fifth of Beethoven” [ADVANCED]
3. Participation Goal: 200 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 5 RC101 pieces anytime between Friday, April 1st till Saturday, April 30th, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 6 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our April Challenge: Classical Songs!
Second Chance: Participate in our May Challenge.
Third Chance: Participate in our June Challenge.
Fourth Chance: Participate in our October Challenge.
Fifth Chance: Participate in our November Challenge.
Sixth Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries.
On July 4th at 12pm EST, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will BE AWARDED 10 EXTRA ENTRIES. This event will mark the end of our Spring Challenges (April, May, June).
We will break for July, August, and September. Entries for the prize will resume for our Fall Challenges (October, November, December).
On Christmas Eve (December 24th at 12 PM EST), I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele!
To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 12 entries for the prize.
You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of April and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
Note: Previous Kanile’a winners are more than welcome to participate, but will not receive an entry for the prize.
1) $6,000 Grand Prize! Includes:
A) 2021 Kanile’a Platinum Model Ukulele (Includes: a hard case by Stagg)
OUR 6 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!
LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW THIS UKULELE WAS CRAFTED
Kanile’a Original, TRU-Relief Tenor Body
Master Grade Front, Back, and Sides
TRU Bracing V3
Mass Reduction Interior
Magnetic Back Access Panel
Ebony Radiused Fingerboard, Ebony Bridge, and Ebony Head Plate
Platinum Crown Slotted Headstock
Gotoh Stealth Gold Tuners with Kanile’a Knobs
Ebony Bridge Pins
NuBone Nut and Saddle
Gloss Body, Silk Neck Finish
Ebony Side Position Markers
Curly Koa Headplate Inlay
Curly Koa Leaf Position Markers Inlay on Fingerboard in Koa
Curly Koa Leaf Inlay on the Bridge
Koa Leaf Sound Hole with Curly Maple Trim
Koa Leaf Side Sound Port with Maple Trim
Curly Maple Front and Back Binding
Curly Maple Fretboard Binding
Curly Maple Head-Stock Binding
Curly Maple Back Strip
Curly Maple Tail Strip
Curly Maple Bevel
Curly Maple Heel Cap
Worth Clear Strings with Wound Low G
Other Features: Includes a hard case by Stagg
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!March 31, 2022 at 3:58 pm #51337smudgeParticipant
Please share what the beautiful piece of music is that you are playing as you introduce the Kanile’a Ukulele. Is there a tutorial for it?
Thanks!March 31, 2022 at 4:06 pm #51338lakeside339Member
Hi Andrew – this looks terrific – both the pieces and the prize!
Just FYI – I know today is still March, but just in case you are unaware – Part 2 for neither Andante #2 and Prelude in C have been uploaded. (just sort of an ad from Vimeo on both pages)March 31, 2022 at 4:22 pm #51339
Hmm… they are working for me. What device and browser are you using? Can you try with a different device and browser? Please let me know if it shows there.March 31, 2022 at 4:25 pm #51340March 31, 2022 at 5:11 pm #51343lakeside339Member
Well, now I am getting this same problem on other websites, different devices, different browsers. Maybe Vimeo is flipping off and on or something crazy. Becuase now yours are showing (technology!)April 1, 2022 at 7:42 am #51363samash07Participant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
And forever will be to support the amazing RC101 crew.
I’ll be away from my Ukulele for a month so I decided to pick the easiest tune to get my entry in before I get busy.April 1, 2022 at 4:26 pm #51372
@samash07 – An excellent start for our April challenge, Sam! Beautifully played, well done 🙂April 3, 2022 at 11:49 am #51378deadbuggyParticipant
I am a PREMIUM member who cannot believe you are giving away a $6,000 ukulele! What an amazing prize, another reason this site is so terrific.
I probably should have tried to learn a higher level piece, but I have so much fun playing this arrangement of Minuet in G. Many thanks, Andrew!April 3, 2022 at 6:29 pm #51379
@deadbuggy – TY for the kind words Sara and lovely playing 🙂April 4, 2022 at 12:34 pm #51380stinyukeMember
Is it possible to play the Prelude in C on a low G Ukulele?April 4, 2022 at 1:04 pm #51381April 5, 2022 at 8:05 pm #51406laurakarr12Participant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
WALTZ IN C
The last note took several extra beats to get to it but worth the effort.
What a great series of challenges for an opportunity to win a magnificent prize! Andrew, you must love us as much as we love your site, teaching, and lessons. Thank you!
April 5, 2022 at 8:28 pm #51407
@laurakarr12 – Beautiful playing and thank you for the kind words, Laura! I am very humbled by the community here at RC101 and feel grateful for the opportunities myself and our instructors have 🙂
One thing about your performance, I hear a slight swing in your playing. It’s sounds pretty cool, but just wanted to acknowledge it if you didn’t intend to change up the feel.April 6, 2022 at 12:58 pm #51410johanna2509Participant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
Minuet in G is a really cute tune! And playing to a backing track was also a ton of fun 🙂
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.