Participate in the August 2017 Member Challenge – Hawaiian Themed

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the August 2017 Member Challenge – Hawaiian Themed

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    ukukelley1
    Participant

Hi Andrew and fellow RockClass101-ers,
    Well, except for all the dull sounds during barred chords and anything fret 10 and above and a few hesitations, this is Aloha Oe for my August challenge entry. I am really having trouble getting a pretty ringing sound out of the high end of the neck. Will continue to work on that, but at least I got all the way through it in the recording…
    Also, this is my very first time to post a YouTube video — so let me know if you can’t see it and I’ll try again.
    Sheryl

“20170830 Aug Challenge Aloha Oe”

Andrew
    Keymaster

ukuleleloo – That was awesome! So cool to see you tackle the solo 🙂 You did great job, keep up the good work! I can def tell you put a lot of time into this one 🙂

That was beautiful Sheryl! Well played 🙂 What uke is that? It has a sweet tone. My only suggestion for you is to watch the right hand wrist, as you curve it up a bit, we want to try to keep the hand and wrist parallel.

nocnyptak

Hi all,

I was wondering if I should post my vid at all because it is still long way to perfect the song – but the goal was to work on the song and to record what I have… So I did make an effort to record it. However, I cannot upload it (sic!) so obviously you are not meant to view my love an my struggle this month 🙂

Congrats to all who posted. It was a tough challenge this month!

(I will keep practicing anyway…)
    Margo

kala_uke
    Participant

Hope it’s not too late.

ukukelley1
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew. I’m hoping it will sound much better after my focused September challenge work on bar chords up and down the neck……and also just more time. A few distractions here in Houston over the last week. No damage for me, thankfully, but I did lose a little practice time while watching the water level in front of my temporarily lake-front house rise and recede and watching weather channel and keeping up with emptying the rain guage.

The wrist… Something about pressing that RECORD button and associated pressure seems to make my arm curl up, including the scrunched wrist you noticed. Working on relaxing.

That sweet sound is my Collings UC1K, made by Collings the guitar maker in Austin, Texas. Trying to develop some skills to do it justice! You are actually making that seem like a possibility, with your great instruction and coaching.

Thanks,
    Sheryl

Andrew
    Keymaster

Not too late at all kala_uke 🙂 Very clean playing! I do have one suggestion for you: try to pace yourself a bit, as it’s a slower tune. But overall great job!

Margo, if you have a video please post it! I’d love to watch it 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Wow Sheryl, I’m glad to hear you are safe! It’s a tragedy what has happened there.

No worries on the pressure, I still get it when I hit record! And that makes sense on your uke, it sounds amazing, but it also takes the player to make it sound good! Keep up the good work 🙂

lisathoyt

This is real rough

nocnyptak

Thanks, Andrew 🙂

Here is my love and my struggle – just to document that I do work on Aloha-Oe and will keep practicing for months to come 😉

(This is actually my silent teton uke version so you need to volume up to get some sound – I had also Martin version but there was too many errors and I couldn’t even upload it properly…)

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great job Lisa! You’ve got a great base established, but I would suggest to tackle one section at a time, before trying the entire tune. Breaking it down into sections and memorizing/perfecting them is always the easiest way to get a tune down 🙂

Wonderful playing Margo! I’m not sure what you were talking about earlier, that was great! With a little more practice, you’ll have it down! Keep up the good work!

—-

So overall we had 12 members participate this month! Major props to all of you, this months challenge was HARD! I thoroughly enjoyed watching everyone’s performances 🙂

So without further delay, the winner for this month’s challenge is: *drum-roll*

null

Congrats! I’ll be sending you an email soon 🙂

—-

Our new challenge for September is live and it has a new concept! Click here to check it out: https://rockclass101.com/september-2017-challenge

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.